May I present my (somewhat complete) reconstruction of www.chexquest.com!

Started by celebi23, November 13, 2009, 05:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celebi23

Quote from: The Slimeinator on November 14, 2009, 01:03:03 AM
Quote from: ChexCommander on November 13, 2009, 10:39:28 PM
I never said JPEG was BETTER. I said it's not bad at all, especially for photographs.

And besides, that only happens in MS Paint. :P

And Photoshop.
Quote from: 75 on November 13, 2009, 07:32:00 PM
Hey, mediafire is looking pretty good!

Glad to hear it.

Quote from: ChexCommander on November 13, 2009, 07:32:10 PM
This deserves a pin.

I'd be honored.

Quote from: arch129 on November 13, 2009, 09:21:39 PM
Great job on the site celebi!  ^^

Quote from: celebi23 on November 13, 2009, 05:17:02 AM
Once I finish cleaning up the site, I'll upload the original scans.  To preserve the quality of the images, I scanned them as PICT images.  This caused the total size of all of the scans to be almost 700MB!  :facepalm  I'll convert the images to JPEGS is people want.

How about PNG, anything is better than jpeg...  <<

Thanks.  I'll probably convert them to PNG tonight/tomorrow.

Quote from: Datra on November 13, 2009, 09:41:22 PM
I tip my hat to you celebi. great work, would love to see what else more you do with it. :)

Thank you.  Not much more to do with the site.  Mostly cleaning up some things.

Quote from: ChexCommander on November 13, 2009, 09:56:01 PM
Great job on the site celebi!  ^^

Once I finish cleaning up the site, I'll upload the original scans.  To preserve the quality of the images, I scanned them as PICT images.  This caused the total size of all of the scans to be almost 700MB!  :facepalm  I'll convert the images to JPEGS is people want.

How about PNG, anything is better than jpeg...  <<

What are you talking about? JPEG is very good quality, and a standard used by many. Anything is better than bmp...>_>

I never said JPEG was BETTER. I said it's not bad at all, especially for photographs.

And Photoshop.

Didn't mean to start a war about image formats  ::)

Oh, I also uploaded the site to freewebs.  Seems to behaving a bit better.  Turns out that it was Apple's iDisk storage being a pain.  I do have a limit on the freewebs bandwidth though.  Only 100MB a month  :facepalm  :facepalm  :facepalm

http://chexquest.webs.com/Emailed/FRAMES.HTM

ChexCommander

And Photoshop.

Not mine!

Anyways...nice site you've got there! ;D
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

The Slimeinator

Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

celebi23

Quote from: The Slimeinator on November 14, 2009, 03:14:14 AM
Pinned. (forgot to do that on my last post)

Thank you!  ;D

edit:
Now that I have the majority of the site up & running, time to work on the other documents :D How about the Chex Quest Screen Saver installation instructions & a weird CQ2 readme file (Al doesn't remember where he got that one  ::) ).

Anyways, I'm transcribing them & I'll upload them to the parents info page

edit2: Turns out that Chex Quest 2 readme file was from a fan CD that included CQ2.  So, the only other document of interest is the Chex Quest Screensaver readme & a CQ Screens file that also calls Chex Quest 2 "Chexquest2: Flemoids Take Chextropolis"

One thing about the Chex Quest screensaver readme that really irks me is that there's no mention of the Mac screen saver, even though there is a Mac version.  Heck, I've got it running right now on my iMac G3 700MHz Graphite  ;D

Anyhoo:

The Chex®Quest Screen Saver

Minimum System Requirements

-PC platform 486 33 MHz with 8MB RAM (or faster) .
-VGA monitor capable of 256 colors or greater.
-Windows 3.x, NT, or 95.
-Installation instructions.

For Windows 3.x

1. Run the file "INSTALL.EXE" to decompress the files to your hard drive.
2. After installation, select "Desktop" from the control panel program item in the "Main" program manager group
3. Choose your screen saver from "Screen Saver."
4. Close the group by clicking the "OK" button.
5. For best performance, we recommend that you set your monitor to 256 color mode in the monitor control panel.  Each individual graphics card has different settings.

For Windows 95.  Run the file "INSTALL.EXE" to decompress the files to your hard drive.
2. After installation, select "Start->Settings->Control Panel->Display" (from the Start menu) . Choose "Screen Saver."
3. Choose your screen saver from the "Screen Saver" list.
4. Close the group by clicking the "OK" button.
5. For best performance, we recommend that you set your monitor to 256 color mode in the monitor control panel.  Each individual graphics card has different settings.

Windows 95 tip

For a shortcut to access your screen saver control panel, click on the desktop (the background) with your right mouse button and select "Properties" in the pull-down menu that appears.  When the "Properties" window appears, click on the tab at the top called "Screen Saver." Select the screen saver and click the "Apply" button.

Developed by Digital Cafe, Inc., St. Paul, MN
e-mail: info@digitalcafe.com
Visit our World Wide Web site at www.digitalcafe.com

CQ Screens

List of Chexquest Screens/Areas

1) LANDING ZONE

2) STORAGE AREA

3) LABORATORY

4) ARBORETUM

5) CAVERNS OF BAZOIK

List of Chexquest2: Flemoids Take Chextropolis Screens/Areas

1) SPACEPORT

2) CINEMA

3) CHEX MUSEUM

4) CITY STREETS

5) SEWERS

I'll upload these to the site tomorrow.

ZeldaGamer00

3DS Friend Code: 0645-5762-6755 (PM me if you add me)

celebi23

Oh, I found the Mac screen saver instructions.  They were in the "Chex®Quest Screen Saver" folder entitled "Read Me"  :facepalm  :facepalm  :facepalm

Chex®Quest Screen Saver -

A Screen Saver for After Dark™, Darkside of the Mac and compatible screen saver engines.

You are about to install the Chex®Quest Screen Saver onto your hard disk. After installation, you'll need to follow these instructions to take advantage of your new screen saver.

System Setup:
1. RAM recommended: 8 megs or greater
2. Monitor Setting recommended: 256 colors (under the Monitor Control Panel)

After Dark Instructions:
1.   Double-click on the file, "CQ Saver Installer" to decompress the files to your hard drive.
2.   Open System Folder
3.   Open Control Panels
4.   Drag the file, "Chex®Quest Screen Saver" (the file you just decompressed) into the folder named "After Dark Files"
5.   Choose "After Dark" from under Control Panels
6.   Configure the screen saver to your liking
7.   Close the After Dark Control Panel

Darkside of the Mac instructions:
1.   Double-click on the file, "CQ Saver Installer" to decompress the files to your hard drive.
2.   Locate your newly-installed files
3. Double-click on "Darkside"
4.   Enter your Name and Information and click the Install button
5. Click Install again
6.   Under File, select "Open Fader" (command-o) and navigate to the "Chex®Quest Screen Saver"
7.   Select the "Chex®Quest Screen Saver" and click "Open"
7.   Under File, select "Fade Now" to see it immediately

*System 7 or greater shortcut:  In the Chex®Quest Screen Saver folder, drag the Chex®Quest Screen Saver icon over the Darkside icon.  After Darkside has launched, press Command-F to view your screensaver immediately.

We recommend that you run the application in 256 colors for best performance. Adjust your color settings in the "Monitors" control panel.  This screen saver displays on a 640x480 pixel stage.  If your screen size is larger than this, the screen saver will be inset by a black border.

Sound volume can be adjusted either in the screen saver control panel, or in the sound manager.

Screen Saver Developed by Digital Café Studios  (www.digitalcafe.com)

After Dark is a registered trademark of Berkeley Systems, Inc. "Darkside of the Mac" is owned by Tom Dowdy.

The weird thing about the Mac Readme is that it has a creation date of 8/16/95. It's older than the rest of the Chex Quest files that I've come across. I'm uploading to the site now

edit: So, I got a response from Dean Hyers (been emailing with him back & forth)

Quote from: dean
Way to go. I'm very impressed that you were able to pull this off. Sorry I wasn't more help, but feel free to call on me in the future if there's anything I might be able to help you with.

Dean

I've also been attempting to recreate the screen saver in Flash.  About time to change my screen saver & thought why not. Taking longer than I thought (haven't done this much animation in Flash in awhile, been mostly focusing on flash-based websites in school, not pure animation). 

I opened the Mac version in a hex editor & saw a ton of references to Macromedia (now Adobe) Director.  So, I emailed Dean seeing if he knew anyone that might still have the screen saver source files.  Probably a loooooooooong shot but, couldn't hurt in asking.

Atariangamer

Thats what they did most of their work in was Macromedia Director. Remember the thing saying they were planning on using it to create the game? They then switched to DooM engine, but I bet they'd still have the source files. (but they might be stuck in those old files he mentioned)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

celebi23

Quote from: Atariangamer on November 18, 2009, 11:02:00 AM
Thats what they did most of their work in was Macromedia Director. Remember the thing saying they were planning on using it to create the game? They then switched to DooM engine, but I bet they'd still have the source files. (but they might be stuck in those old files he mentioned)

Oh yeah, forgot about that.  Well, if he can find the source files for the screen saver, it looks like Director 11.5 can open Director 5 files :D

Atariangamer

Hehe, gotta love extreme backwards compatibility...

BTW, what Mac do you have? (been curious)

celebi23

Quote from: Atariangamer on November 19, 2009, 10:53:29 AM
Hehe, gotta love extreme backwards compatibility...

BTW, what Mac do you have? (been curious)

I've got a late 2006 MacBook Pro 2.33GHz with 2GB RAM, a 120GB HD and currently running 10.6.1

edit: since the scans prove that there was a Chex Quest 2 into/prelude, it looks like this decscription might be all that is left.  Thanks for thepspumd4 for his description of the trailer.

Quote from: thepspumdactually,there was One.i distincly rememember it as a kid because i watched it more times then i could count.how ever,it was not a Game intro video.it was a trailer to the game,because of the limited amount of ownership of CD burners at the time, i couldn't burn it to a disk{heck,i installed Windows 95 from 40 3 "5" Floppy discs} It wasn't muich to speak of,but still cool.I'll describe it for you all ,as I'm sure noone will probably ever see this video again.

The scene slows down to a city.The chex warrior returns to the city,and is cheered by fans and everyone as a hero.

The sun sets,and darkness falls over the city.a Police officer notices something green on a banana peel,and throws it down to the ground.

The green liquid seeps off the banana peel,and gently seeps into the sewer. A green Worm flemoid peeks it's head out of the sewer,and havok reaks on the city

The Chex Warrior sees the Flemoid,and runs after it,saying I will zorch you for the last time{how cheesy...}

Then it said"Chex Quest 2,coming soon,the Mission Continues"

so it was never an intro movie,but it was a prelude to the story.

hope this helps!

I may put this up on the website just to kinda fill it out a bit

arch129

Great job on the site celebi!  ^^

Once I finish cleaning up the site, I'll upload the original scans.  To preserve the quality of the images, I scanned them as PICT images.  This caused the total size of all of the scans to be almost 700MB!  :facepalm  I'll convert the images to JPEGS is people want.

How about PNG, anything is better than jpeg...  <<

What are you talking about? JPEG is very good quality, and a standard used by many. Anything is better than bmp...>_>

I here yu ar usin da bump

Anyone else call the .bmp extension as .bump files when they were litte?

[spoiler]I still read .bmp as .bump in my head XD[/spoiler]

whoa, I missed the second page, sorry
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

LAZ Trooper

I still pronounce them bmp (no u sound, just bmp). Also gif, mov, avi, etc.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Atariangamer

Replica

Quote from: 75 on November 24, 2009, 09:40:47 PM
Great job on the site celebi!  ^^

Once I finish cleaning up the site, I'll upload the original scans.  To preserve the quality of the images, I scanned them as PICT images.  This caused the total size of all of the scans to be almost 700MB!  :facepalm  I'll convert the images to JPEGS is people want.

How about PNG, anything is better than jpeg...  <<

Yeahs, I also do that.

I here yu ar usin da bump

Anyone else call the .bmp extension as .bump files when they were litte?

[spoiler]I still read .bmp as .bump in my head XD[/spoiler]

whoa, I missed the second page, sorry
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.