CQTLQ: Discussion Topic

Started by arch129, November 14, 2009, 04:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAZ Trooper

I know I've said this multiple times before, but for some reason I totally love this mod. Were it not for my OpenGL problems, I would play it more.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Hmm... I think I've said it before, but this mod is very well done. You have some really nice architecture in E1M1 and E1M2, and you did really well with the outdoors areas, they're clean, pretty, and vaguely oriental... maybe that's just the music.

A couple music tracks really get on my nerves, but some of them

possible spoiler:
[spoiler]like the song that plays after you defeat the E1 boss,[/spoiler]

D_E1M1, D_E1M2, or D_E1M5 fit really well,  and sound great in game. Although, I wonder if D_E1M5 and D_E1M2 can be even better.

There's a couple texture problems I've noticed, for example, the cabinets' sides don't look like cabinets (I can give you a good set of cabinet textures if you're interested). I noticed a couple other texture bugs, but I'd have to give you a list.

Also, the large Siamese twin zorcher thing's pickup sprite is pretty messy, I can clean that up for you if you like.

If you want a full, detailed review, I'd be happy to do it, let me know. I'll point out texture problems, bugs, and whatever else I see that I like or don't like.

Don't worry, I'm not going to give you non-free music this time, the only music I use now is either Chex original music, freeware music,  remixes of chex music, or my own music.

I hope you keep going on this, and I really should finish my Brano deathmatch map, too.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

arch129

Quote from: 75 on March 11, 2011, 01:06:25 AM
If you want a full, detailed review, I'd be happy to do it, let me know. I'll point out texture problems, bugs, and whatever else I see that I like or don't like.

That would be extremely helpful if you could!

Quote from: arch129 on March 11, 2011, 01:09:34 AM
Quote from: 75 on March 11, 2011, 01:06:25 AM

That would be extremely helpful if you could!

Sure thing, I'll start on it this weekend.

I am very picky! Expect a long review  ;)
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

LAZ Trooper

I'm extremely picky as well, but I think I'm better at finding the glitches on the maps that I originally made and were then modified by someone else. ;)
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

you made some of these maps in Chex Quest : The Lost Quest? I didn't know that.

Atariangamer

No I think he's talking about another project. To my knowledge only Arch has worked on this.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Hmm... well, if it involves me, take to PMs or post it in my subforum, this topic isn't the place for that

EDIT - Note: I post a picture, then talk about it, so the text talks about the picture above it

E1M1:

Hmm... this isn't really a bug, but this passageway behind the cabin in E1M1 where you find the red key might look cooler with sloped ceilings

here's the sides of the cabinets I was talking about. I'll upload my cabinet textures and post them here in a bit.

this crate's side doesn't match the rest of it

E1M2- part of E1M3:

I like your big box room, and that secret you put in there

It's kind of strage to just have the line horizon in the distance, maybe add something out here?

There's a serious shortage of bullets and shells on this level in the second hardest difficulty. Before I found the Super large zorcher thing and the big ammo boxes there, I only had phasing ammo, without a phasing zorcher, meaning it was LAZ or spork. I had fun with it, though.

You might want to pick a better step texture for this

I really like these areas  ^-^

The jumpmaze at the end of E1M2 is hard for me but I managed after a couple tries.

Oh, something I wanted to mention about the conveyors, they might be pretty hard if you're not using always mouselook.

The red/yellow color combination on that thing in front of the door is kind of weird. The building looks great from the outside

I had an idea for this room, what if you made it so the entire wall moved? You could add some bumpy floor and ceilings with slope things, and use WARP2 on the whole thing

E1M4 - nice gameplay, looks pretty good

However, there isn't very much health in this map at all.

When you pick up the green key it says "Picked up a yellow skull key'

it also says "<playername> melted" when the player dies in the slime

I really like those mine areas, this is a great map, the only thing I don't like about it is the music.

The Loricatus - hmm... would you like to use my flem micro missiles? that would make more sense than propulsor shots

Nice job with these areas

It's really hard to see the stairs in this area, the first time I went through this map I wasn't sure which direction to go, I lost a lot of health

The jumpmaze in this level is crazy, I've only been able to do it once. Did you raise the gravity in this mod or something?

graphical glitch - this slime is a little cut off in parts, other than that it looks neat

what's the story behind this place? Just curious, why are there so many holes in the ceiling?

This looks awesome, like it's right out of Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.

Some of these 64 wide platform jumps (from one 64 square to another) are really tough, I try to back up to get a running start and end up backing right off the platform.

this part was way beyond my jumpmaze skills, I ended up flying over it.

One thing I noticed - I kept hearing water drip sounds really loudly in here, which is weird. It's not really a cave, and there's water in the bottom, that would be kind of a splashing sound.

I had a hard time finding health in this one too... I had to use "Give Health" because I was going into E1M6 with 14 health

E1M6:

Same with the cybermaximus, if you want to use my flem micro missiles, they might make a little more sense.

this part was really, really cheap. Good thing you have a save right before it, the only way I got out was to spam the LAZ

I can skip that part of the level if I time my jump right :)

E1M7 - the version I downloaded didn't have anything in E1M7... huh, I must have grabbed the wrong one.

Overall, a long, hard, but great mod. It has lots of nice places to explore and move through, and it didn't feel repetitive or boring like some Doom mods feel after a while. The locations were varied enough to make me want to go through the whole thing. Nice job :)

ChexCommander

Quote from: 75 on March 11, 2011, 06:08:54 PM
Hmm... well, if it involves me, take to PMs or post it in my subforum, this topic isn't the place for that

What? Dude, he was just commenting on his nature of finding bugs, it had nothing to do with you.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Quote from: ChexCommander on March 11, 2011, 08:49:19 PM
Quote from: 75 on March 11, 2011, 06:08:54 PM

What? Dude, he was just commenting on his nature of finding bugs, it had nothing to do with you.

I said if it does, not that it does. It sounded similar to what him and I have been doing in the Skulltag Pack, so I just wanted to tell him that if it does involve me, I'd rather not talk about it here.

EDIT - No offense, but I think that falls under backseat moderation, CC. This is between me and LAZ, and why are you calling me out for it anyway? I didn't insult him.

arch129

Quote from: 75 on March 11, 2011, 04:45:05 PM
you made some of these maps in Chex Quest : The Lost Quest? I didn't know that.

All the maps in CQTLQ are my own.

Anyways thanks for you're long bug post, I'll try to fix or improve most of your suggestions.

oh, here's the cabinet textures I was talking about

noob1234

for the jumpmaze- it's easier with the jump boots. or is that another level...?

arch129

I'm still slowly working, but I should mention that this update will have three new Flemoids.

Of course these new Flemoids will only have front sprites, no side or back ones until I have more time.  I am having some trouble getting good looking 'death' frames.  If any of you talented spriters are interested in helping with the zorched frames you can PM me.

arch129

Just a screenshot to make up for the long wait.

[spoiler][/spoiler]