I got a wacky idea concerning www.chexquest.com.

Started by Manny Cav, March 06, 2008, 10:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manny Cav

This is really more of a topic on finding the old content or its author(s) than the domain for the website. That was my main thought and objective.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

oops...sorry, Cav.

I think there maybe someone out there that has it, but then again, if they were diehard about it, they would have found this place. Plus, how many archives are there of that site? Who would keep the site, or even try to preserve it?

I really think the scans by Lucius are the only things left...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

Mabey whoever uploaded the stuff or made it still has it.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Y, though? Y keep old stuff?

Most people really don't keep their old work.

Loremaster

Quote from: atariangamer on March 13, 2008, 11:52:33 AM
Y, though? Y keep old stuff?

Most people really don't keep their old work.

You always want to keep your old work, especially good old work. It's for resumes and interviews,  so you can say "Look at what I did. Want to hire me?"
I have an entire binder full of old design drawings for just this purpose.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Atariangamer

...I know that...I have some of my BEST work from when I was younger in a box, all organized. But, if it was just some random site that was posted for about 2 years...I don't think it would be important enough to keep.

Which would you rather have (if you knew nothing about CQ):
1. I made the original website that hosted the first big AC company (name escapes me)
2. Some site for a kids game that was in 1996.
3. Microsoft asked me to make a webpage for them.

CQ would not be your choice, you'd show them your big ones, no matter how good it was.

Loremaster

You never know, someone could have a soft spot for it, and have kept it.

After all, isn't that why we still play that little Advergame?
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Atariangamer

O-O You has me there, lore...

Now, how on earth would you go through 6 billion peoples on the internet to find someone with a full copy of the CQ webpage plus all downloads and files?

Manny Cav

We would, of course, have to narrow the field down. Getting into contact with people that were involved or digging out information could help. The scans may also have some hints.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Richie

How's this sound.  Would you guys like me to call General Mills tomorrow?  I took off my tin foil hat.

Atariangamer

Well...I'd like just to get some confirmation. If you could ask some information about it, maybe ask about what they think, that would be cool. I mean, to get this back out there, they'd have to:
1. Secure an engine. Most of these ports are for DooM and wouldn't work as well.
2. Get some mappers. We have the biggest mapping base for CQ style, but why choose us?
3. Get artists and other crew. Gotta make it look nice!
4. Package it. Why spend another ton of money?
5. Put it out. Really...I have passed on many free softwares in cereal boxes because some of the last good ones came from mid-90s, mid-00's.

I vote for calling and just asking. If they really wanna do something, though, try to negotiate. It'd be cool to have another CQ game on the public, but if we get shut down for it, i'd rather go on silent...

Just call representing us and ask about the website. Actually, we might be able to switch names.
org goes to millsberry, com to our forums. something. i say do it.

Manny Cav

I wouldn't want to switch the domains. .org has been an established domain for this site for awhile. I would also like to see the original uploaded material. <== hint, hint.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

if anything, go for the original site. If you could get any thing...I would make a mod dedicated to U (not really, but U get my point). Plus, just forget all I said, go for the site.

Manny Cav

You know, there's been one itching question on my mind: When was the Chex Quest CD actually released? Some say 1996; others say 1997.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Richie

Quote from: Manny Cav on March 27, 2008, 10:04:37 PM
I wouldn't want to switch the domains. .org has been an established domain for this site for awhile. I would also like to see the original uploaded material. <== hint, hint.

QFT.  We can't switch domains.  We're already established here, and hosting for a year has already been purchased.

I'm going to contact their Tech Department (number can be found by doing a Whois on ChexQuest.com), ask if they still have the original content, and ask if they would be willing to drop the domain.  If they're open to letting me buy it off of them, I'm broke.  I just renewed this domain for another two years.  If it comes to that, would you guys be willing to chip-in (depending on how much they want)?