GZDoom compiled for Chex Quest 3

Started by Aroenai, January 05, 2010, 09:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aroenai

One of the bad things about using the official chex3.exe is that you don't get opengl rendering, which in my opinion looks a lot better than the software mode. Unfortunately, the cheat codes are still mixed up in the svn repositories of zdoom and gzdoom, so if you wanted to use a newer version you'd have to make the changes and compile it for yourself. I every version, the title screen demos never play because they're not in a zdoom compatible format, so I recorded new ones (lol its hard to intentionally play badly so you can die without making it obvious) and made them load from "demos.pk3". Anyway, here's my tweaked version based on GZDoom r713.

Changes made:
-Cheats fixed (done in the official v1.4)
-All other tweaks made in the official chex3.exe
-Player options screen has a green background instead of red
-Player's skin is blue by default
-Texture filtering disabled by default in opengl mode (no blurry sprites >:()
-Demos play at the title screen!
-Tweaked the icon a bit
-dropped the 32-bit icons because they're identical to the 256 ones (gzdoom's icon doesn't have 32-bit icons either)
-smoothed out 48x48 a tiny bit
-16 color icons now match the original CQ1 and CQ2 icons

http://www.box.net/shared/y2k9bc9rr0

Also I'd just like to mention, it was so cool seeing my icon used in the official v1.4 release  ;D

arch129

Quote from: Aroenai on January 05, 2010, 09:47:15 PM
-Texture filtering disabled by default in opengl mode (no blurry sprites >:()

I like this already!  :whale

I'll post after I get a chance to try it out.

noob1234

hm... i already tried chex.wad in gzdoom and it worked fine... mebe i missed something

ChexCommander

But look at Aroenai's list of improvements. It's better than just running chex3.wad through CheezyDoom. The demos even work! :)
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Aroenai

Quote from: noob1234 on January 05, 2010, 10:20:07 PM
hm... i already tried chex.wad in gzdoom and it worked fine... mebe i missed something

Three of the cheat codes are wrong in the zdoom source and as a result, gzdoom too. MikeKoenigs and ScottHolman are switched and Sherrill is spelled wrong, not too big a deal if you don't cheat, but if you do (ie. my 9 year old self back in 1996) chances are you wouldn't know how to compile it yourself with the fix.

Quote from: ChexCommander on January 05, 2010, 11:57:52 PM
But look at Aroenai's list of improvements. It's better than just running chex3.wad through CheezyDoom. The demos even work! :)

lol CheezyDoom, do people not like gzdoom or something? There's just something about the software mode, whenever I play I start feeling sick and I get a really bad migraine. For whatever reason it doesn't happen in the opengl mode, but I can just as easily compile a regular zdoom exe if people want it.

Atariangamer

lol, no. When Xbolt was talking about switching to GZDooM engine, he called it CheezyDoom. Now the name has stuck XD
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Blzut3

Quote from: Aroenai on January 06, 2010, 07:43:02 AMThree of the cheat codes are wrong in the zdoom source and as a result, gzdoom too. MikeKoenigs and ScottHolman are switched and Sherrill is spelled wrong, not too big a deal if you don't cheat, but if you do (ie. my 9 year old self back in 1996) chances are you wouldn't know how to compile it yourself with the fix.
I have to wonder why none of this was reported over at ZDoom.org?  (At least I don't recall any threads mentioning it.)

Atariangamer

I think we only ever used it on ZDooM or Skulltag, which worked well. not to mention, when I cheat, I use the console instead of the codes...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

Quote from: Atariangamer on January 09, 2010, 11:43:15 AM
I think we only ever used it on ZDooM or Skulltag, which worked well. not to mention, when I cheat, I use the console instead of the codes...

Yeah, I'm a DooM player too, so I'm used to just entering console commands.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Graf Zahl

Quote from: Aroenai on January 06, 2010, 07:43:02 AM
Three of the cheat codes are wrong in the zdoom source and as a result, gzdoom too. MikeKoenigs and ScottHolman are switched and Sherrill is spelled wrong, not too big a deal if you don't cheat, but if you do (ie. my 9 year old self back in 1996) chances are you wouldn't know how to compile it yourself with the fix.

You know, it would have been nice if someone had bothered to report this! It was by pure chance that today I clicked on this thread. Not being a CQ expert it never occured to me that some of the cheats could be wrong!