I've been thinking, is it possible we can get Chex quest on the iPhone?

Started by nightwheel, February 05, 2010, 04:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightwheel

I know that it's possible since the doom engine has been ported.

What I am meaning is. If we were to get all the proper agreements made with General Mills. (Maybe a few people related to the former Digital Café too.) And maybe see if we can barrow some of the code from the official port of Doom for the iPhone.

Is it possible we can get the game officially on the App Store?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

nightwheel

I just decided to do a simple mock up on my iPod Touch using a screenshot from the game I took a while back. This is roughly how I think Chex Quest would look like on the iPhone. Minus the on screen controls that would be needed.

Unfortunately I don't have the know how nor a Mac to do something like this. So for now this can only be a pipe dream :(

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

ChexCommander

"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Batmanifestdestiny

Well, if you feel like wading through the murkier parts of the internet, you could get it for your jailbroken iTouch...

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

Atariangamer

well...why not try to get the SDK, and work on porting something simple...like PrBooM
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

nightwheel

Quote from: Atariangamer on February 13, 2010, 12:04:18 AM
well...why not try to get the SDK, and work on porting something simple...like PrBooM
I don't have a Mac. So I can't get the iPhone SDK to give it a attempt.

But I have learned that ID did put the source up for the iPhone version of Doom: http://www.idsoftware.com/doom-classic/

Atariangamer

I'm not sure how the virtual machines do with OSX, but I can sure give it a try...

...it just came from a hackintosh back to full PC, so maybe I can get a OSX virtual machine going, and run the SDK in it.

If that zip contains a normal WAD file, then we'll have a simple port up and running in no time.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

spacemarine288

Before even reading this post, I decided to use my jailbroken iPod touch to see if it would work. I downloaded 'iphonedoom' (NOT released by id, it was released 2 years ago). I used iFile to see what the app came with, and saw that it included doom1.wad. I thought that if it ran a .wad file, it could run a checkquest wad. Well, i tired it a few ways...
Way 1:
I deleted doom1.wad and replaced it with chex.wad. The app would start up, but wouldnt run.

(After deleting the app and reinstalling it....)
Way 2:
I deleted doom1.wad. This time, i repleased it with chex.wad, but renamed it doom1.wad to try and fool the app. The app won, and the game wont start. Same result as Way 1.

End result..... :(
No Pity! No Fear! No Remorse!

nightwheel

I figured enough that Chex Quest wouldn't run on the iPhone without some fight. I think we are all aware that Chex Quest runs some code in it's wad that kinda makes it hard to run it on it's own.

spacemarine288

I really wish id would come out with an update to their official version of Doom that would allow people to run their own WADS.
No Pity! No Fear! No Remorse!

kwinterling

Try requesting that someone port ZDoom and put it in the app store.

Bugaham

Sorry for the bump!

Okay, so I just realized that ID Software's Doom Classic is open source! (Doom Classic is an iPhone port of doom that has amazingly good controls.)

Except there is just one problem- ID's link is broken. I have found this mirror- http://www.download4a.com/Linux/Games/Action/Download-Doom-Classic-for-Iphone-Source.html - but I am not sure if this is safe. Someone with a good virus scanner will probably need to scan it. We can get Chex Quest on iPhone- there are already a few doom clones (like HacX) that are already out on iPhone that started on PC. Here's what we would need to do-

1. Find someone who is good with programming on iPhone.
2. Get permission from ID software to make a free iPhone port of Chex Quest.
3. Find out what licence Chex Quest is published under- a public domain licsence means we can publish on the app store, otherwise, we would need to publish it on Cydia (the jailbreak app store.) or get permission from whoever owns the rights for it, which would be a hassle.
4. Have a good programmer fix all the sprites and backgrounds and stuff to be Chex, and to run the chex quest WAD.
5. Publish Chex Quest on the app store or cydia.

LAZ Trooper

We actually have a few people working on Breakfast Trek which could be used on the iPhone (I think) and it's going to be non-Chex all-original-graphics and stuff so we don't need any copyright permissions or anything. And Chex Quest is copyrighted...

And speaking of CQ on MP3 players, my brother has a Sansa Clip 4GB, and he downloaded a different operating system for it, and he was showing me all the crazy stuff it can do (the normal one just does music, radio, and recording), like tetris, solitaire, and stuff, but since it's a tiny screen, they're rather small. And then he showed me that it can run Doom. XD  Unfortunately, the screen in too low-resolution (it's like 1-inch across) for Doom to be playable.  :-\
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

ChexCommander

Oh, so he put Rockbox on his Clip? Nice! I should try that, I don't ever really use my clip anymore.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

LAZ Trooper

It's actually the second batch of Clips he's bought from Woot. He got three black 1GB ones two years ago, then he just bought 3 dark red 4GB ones. Currently one isn't used, so maybe I can replace my 1GB which is filled to capacity...
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o