Author Topic: Homebuilt PC Guide -- Hardware Info, PC Assembly, PC Need To Knows  (Read 6289 times)

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
Down for editing
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:17:17 AM by brain candy »

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Offline cheetahben

• Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • My Tumblr
Re: Homebuilt PC Guide -- Hardware Info, PC Assembly, PC Need To Knows
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:25:15 PM »
Wow, this will be a lengthy read for sure, but it'll be helpful!

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:43:46 PM »
Everytime I read this topic BC's changed it. >< XD
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:50:51 PM »
Ha ha, we need a "save as draft" feature! Like my profile warns... I edit.... A lot! Oy, I'm sorry though. I keep thinking of things I forgot and keep trying to tweak the format. Currently, my posts in the guide are to remain static! You should contribute, CC. :)

And yep, I do hope this is helpful. At the very least I don't have to keep re-typing the same things!

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 11:02:50 PM »
Ha ha, we need a "save as draft" feature! Like my profile warns... I edit.... A lot! Oy, I'm sorry though. I keep thinking of things I forgot and keep trying to tweak the format. Currently, my posts in the guide are to remain static! You should contribute, CC. :)

And yep, I do hope this is helpful. At the very least I don't have to keep re-typing the same things!

Haha, I can try, but I get ninja'd with all the info! XD
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:17:12 PM by ChexCommander »

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »
I had a few ideas in mind as far as topics go, but basically, I'm thinking we can have everything from the differences between certain sockets, to a "How to Apply Thermal Paste" guide, to how to mount certain CPU coolers. Or even your advice on how best to obtain good airflow in a case... Or how to build a computer. Whatever comes to mind that fits and that you want to write about. This might keep the geek going between computer builds too. ;)

Richie had the idea to post some really helpful videos as well. Videos are good!

Also, once we get some more guides posted, I'm going go create an index of direct links to the posts at the start of this topic.

As a group, we have collected so much in the way of information while working on these homebuilt computers, so I was thinking it would be informative (and fun) to compile it all somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:39:07 PM by brain candy »

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 05:45:14 PM »
I had a few ideas in mind as far as topics go, but basically, I'm thinking we can have everything from the differences between certain sockets, to a "How to Apply Thermal Paste" guide, to how to mount certain CPU coolers. Or even your advice on how best to obtain good airflow in a case... Or how to build a computer. Whatever comes to mind that fits and that you want to write about. This might keep the geek going between computer builds too. ;)

Richie had the idea to post some really helpful videos as well. Videos are good!

Also, once we get some more guides posted, I'm going go create an index of direct links to the posts at the start of this topic.

As a group, we have collected so much in the way of information while working on these homebuilt computers, so I was thinking it would be informative (and fun) to compile it all somewhere.

This is a great idea! How to Overclock would probably a good idea, too.

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 07:03:40 PM »

This is a great idea! How to Overclock would probably a good idea, too.
Oh yeah, we can't forget overclocking! Good idea! Also, I was thinking since there has been so much AMD discussion lately, we should also have a rundown on what the deal is with unlocking AMD CPU cores.

Offline mob720

• still alive
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 01:26:45 AM »
Someone did their homework!!! Im also very sorry to say I use DDR2 ram  :'( The mobo states DDR2 1600+, and Im no RAM expert here but Im guessing that it can support DDR3..? Well, it doesnt matter for now. DDR2 ram is cheaper and you dont have to get a lot to have it at a sufficient amount. When I see people buying DDR3, they buy at least 8 gigs of the stuff. And DDR3 is FAST. IDK what theyre gonna do with it all! I also dont understand why DDR costs more than DDR2...

But oh, man, Im the video card person for the job!
High End - ATI (This stuff costs A LOT of cash)
4870 X2 2 GB
High End - Nvidia
GTX295 2gb
Mid - High End - ATI (Prolly the stuff most avid PC people would buy)
4890 (Im iffy on if it should go in high end or mid-high end, but for the price it costs Ill put it here)
5770 (4890 and 4870's benchmarks are better than 5770/50)
Mid-High End - Nvidia
210 (this is onboard I think)
Middle End - ATI (Mainstream stuff, can play games mid - low gfx)
3300 (Onboard)
3200 (Onboard)
Middle End - Nvidia
Low End - ATI (Junk stuff, dont buy, your wasting time and money, they wont play games)
3100 and below, but 3100 is onboard
Low End - Nvidia
x400, 7x00 and 6x00 cards and below (7x00 cards are the minimum specs for most things, so dont expect to get a lot out of it)

These are merely my opinions, think otherwise and let me know, I want to see how others feel. Also, the 4890 is on par with the GTX275 but since ATI released the 5800 series I bumped it to the next category.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:57:12 PM by mob720 »
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 12:21:27 PM »
The GTS 250, GTX 260, 275, and 285, are all single GPU, usually with 1 gig.

I think you got all the ATI cards right.

I don't know how good the 220 and 210 are, but probably not high end.

Low end would be like the *400 series for Nvidia's cards (ie 9400).  And I'd put the 9600 cards in Middle for Nvidia.

Just some tips. :)

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 07:00:57 PM »
Epic, Mob! And thanks for the tips, CC.  :)

Admittedly, I am rather clueless about video cards outside of the $100-$200 price rage that I buy in. Any help with video cards is greatly appreciated!

Offline mob720

• still alive
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 07:51:33 PM »
Based on the benchmarks, ATI currently has the lead in terms of raw power since it released its 5800 series. The 5970 will blow nearly anything outta the water and beat the GTX295 in about every test, if even by a few frames. Oh lol I just figured out the 5870 x2 is the 5970...  :facepalm How did I not know that? The prices are currently skyrocketing for the 5800 series since stores that have them in stock usually have not very many for but to buy a 5970 for A WHOPPING $650!!!!! OMG THAT WILL BLOW YOUR BANK! THAT'S MORE THAN WHAT MOST PEOPLE WANT TO SPEND ON A MACHINE! ATI also is coming out with the 5700 series (5770 and 5750, both in the price range you guys are looking at).

Nvidia currently has something planned to tip ATI up but no one has any info on that yet, but I will keep you guys posted.

Hey look at this:

The 5970 is on top, then 5870 and 5850. 5970 <- 1 FOOT LONG. Yeah, try stickin that in your case. Hope you have an XXL-ATX. Its bigger than the 4870 X2! And we thought that was big!

I think the 5850 would be the best bang for the buck (If youve got enough - $300) cuz its better than the 5770 and 4890... and anything lower. Otherwise, 4890s are lower priced nowadays and offer great performance.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:00:29 PM by mob720 »
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 02:38:40 PM »
I heard somewhere that Windows XP doesn't take full advantage of more than two cored processors, is that true?
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 07:44:01 PM »
I heard somewhere that Windows XP doesn't take full advantage of more than two cored processors, is that true?

If you believe Microsoft's banter, Windows 7 takes more advantage of multi-core processors than XP supposedly would.

What I'm hearing from you though, is a mashup of a XP myth about its supposed 2 core limit. This is totally false. It's all about the number of processors, not cores. Windows XP Home is licensed for only one processor, while Windows XP Pro can only use two processors. We're talking physical processors though, not cores. You can have as many cores as you can put on, but you are limited to two physical processors. So, if you have a dual-socketed motherboard, equipped with two quad-core processors, then you'll have a total of 8 cores that XP can use if you're running XP Pro. If you're running Home, one of those processors will not be utilized.

Crap, I need to update this guide! It's already dated.  :facepalm

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 09:50:02 PM »
That's good news

I'd like to look at prices for a custom built computer, I'm doing some research, I'll probably post about it when I get a good idea of what I'd like. I can spend a lot on this PC, but I don't want to waste money... it will have to last longer than this laptop did (much, much longer). I can't afford to replace a junk expensive computer... although, that probably wouldn't happen because desktop computers use cards instead of having everything onboard.

My next computer is definitely using XP alongside Linux... I tried to get used to Windows 7, I really did. It's better than vista, but I still hate it.

I do almost everything on Linux, I only switch to windows when I have to use SDKs, or use another picky windows program, these programs fail sometimes under 7, yet they work perfectly on XP... For compatibility (which is really the only thing I need Windows for), XP is still best choice.

The only hindrance - Direct X. I guess if I had to I could buy another $15 copy of Win7 Ultimate and triple boot if I really needed to, the only thing I'd use it for would be to run those games, so it wouldn't need too much hard drive space.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:54:53 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting