Author Topic: Fan Control Within Windows  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
Fan Control Within Windows
« on: February 28, 2010, 11:25:53 PM »
Yeah...I'm not liking the temps on my CPU (though my GFX card gets hotter than my cpu some times ><), and rarely ever hear the fan increase (even under load, it only increases minutely...peaking nearly 62*C while transcoding DVDs with Handbrake. I was getting a slight concerned, so I was wondering if maybe anyone had a utility or something to increase the speed of the fan on the CPU within Windows (not some bios patch or something). SpeedFan picks everything up, but doesn't allow changing of the CPU fan speeds. IDK, go figure...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
Re: Fan Control Within Windows
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:55:30 PM »
Sorry for the delay, Atarian!

Is this for your Windows 7 rig? What motherboard and case fans are you using? Are there any manual (hardware) fan controls on your system? Have you tried using Gigabyte's "EasyTune 5" for fan speed control?

Two things I can think of straight away as far as your problems go... First, Gigabyte boards have funky BIOS fan controllers. Like, if you pair a Gigabyte board with a Zalman CPU heatsink, your fan straight-up won't turn on unless it's really hot! If you want to increase your fan speeds, the first thing you may want to do is disable the smart fan control option in the BIOS. This will make your fans run at full speed. Secondly, the problem with SpeedFan is the combination of unsigned drivers and Windows 7. I believe this is still a problem, anyway. SpeedFan is being an idiot because it loads drivers to perform many tasks and report the data from your hardware correctly, but they aren't signed for Windows 7 and therefore will not load.

I hope that helps some.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:16:49 PM by brain candy »

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting