Author Topic: Official Version 0.1 Release Thread!  (Read 11168 times)

Offline The Green Avenger

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Local Moderator
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
Official Version 0.1 Release Thread!
« on: March 18, 2008, 05:16:07 PM »
Ha!  I defy Microsoft to be this punctual!  Not only have I kept my release date, I beat it by a day!  Download the new version:

Version 0.1

You must run it through TUCQ for the time being.  I plan to make it possible to run it just with the Chex IWAD, but I haven't done it yet.

Release notes: E1M4-E1M5 have various glitches in the level, due to what I call 'dirty mapping,' the kind of mapping used by rookies.  They are the oldest levels in the pack as of now.  For those of you who would like to compare this release with the last one, it is still available for dowload here.

Go and get it!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 08:47:47 PM by The Green Avenger »
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Official Version 0.1 Release Thread!
« on: March 18, 2008, 05:16:07 PM »

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
Re: Official Version 0.1 Release Thread!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 06:30:48 PM »
no! ... now I have to get TUCQ! lol, I'm going to get this soon.

and good job on the release date.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Local Moderator
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 06:39:52 PM »
The release date was a lucky guess...  I was a bit nervous about it when my family took a two-day trip to Sea World, but everything worked out.

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:35:38 AM »
heh, lol

I'm getting the stuff now...

UPDATE: I like it! Nice maps (as always), and now you have some good story! but...

1. U never had a way with textures...Seriously, when U think the level is finished, put some wood, some steel, some something on there!
2. Um...there needs to be more replaced. I noticed that the messages that show at the end weren't changed...but that can come later.

I was going to put a 3, but its just a note. You have to use the Original Chex.wad or it will show the 4 skulls door from doom.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 06:02:39 PM by atariangamer »

Offline The Slimeinator

• Resurrected from the Interdeads
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • I am the one who goes bump in the night.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 12:02:40 AM »
Some of the text flashes on the screen for point 0.675 seconds and then it is gone. Even though I read at about as faster than I can speak or type combined (fast and VERY FAST) I could barely finish reading it.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Local Moderator
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 12:18:56 AM »
I'll look into the quick tips.  I tried to weed out the tips and make them timed tips to make sure that it would give you time to read them, but i really must say that most of the opening and ending tips will be replaced with FS cutscenes anyway, which will add to the storyline which I just finalized.

I really know that I'm horrible texturer.  I'm sorry, but I have very little ability with any sort of art, save messing with other peoples work and trying to clean it up.  Even there I'm amateur at best.  The fact that most of the existing textures have Chex on them, and I want all or at least a lot of the them to be available for Episode 2 and part of Episode 3 (The Flempire Strikes Back) gives me limited texture choices as far as Flemoid Prime goes.  I am thinking of replacing the numerous gray wall textures (which I way overdid in my maps) with Flemoid related textures, but once again, art isn't my thing.  I'll work on it, and accept help in this regard, but it will likely be included in later versions.  My best texturing performance in m opinion, by far has to be E2M1.  That really looked better than my other levels, IMHO.

Um...there needs to be more replaced. I noticed that the messages that show at the end weren't changed...but that can come later.

You mean the episode end messages?  I have those prepared for version 0.3.  To actually change the episode end messages, you have to have a .wad file independent of TUCQ, or else your DeHacked lump is canceled out (at least in my experience).  So I would have to take the whole of TuCQ and put it into my level pack, which isn't necessary until I actually finish an episode.

BTW, did you like the new HUD status bar?  And how about the fragglescripted countdown timer?  I really enjoyed making that one.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:21:24 AM by The Green Avenger »

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 12:27:26 AM »
Personally, I would prefer the older HUD. Mabey it's the wild letter colors.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Local Moderator
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 12:36:46 AM »
I see the opinion.  Personally, it's a weird conflict for me.  I thought it looked great when I finished with it, but the colors were somewhat strange inside Legacy.  I think it could have something to do with the DooM colors.  Would this be a possible cause of slight color distortion.

I guess I could either go back to the original, or just switch the colors back to white.  That would take all of five seconds in MSPaint...

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
No, cav...I kinda like the new status bar...something fresh for me. and TGA, since you are on a space ship, some of Boingo's steel textures would work fine!

The fraggle scripted timer I thought was cool! Just a question, though...what happens if you don't make it? O_O

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Local Moderator
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 12:09:42 AM »
It would take much less script to just tell it to wait a minute and a quarter and then activate the self destruct, but I thought that this looks cool.  Plus, all I have to do from now on is take that script and the variables and stick them in another map in which I want a timer, then change the variables to make it as long as I want it to be!

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 06:06:01 PM »
...i'll have to open the code to find what happens...

but the timer looks cool. Only problem, I got to the exit in 15 seconds! Mebe you should make the exits in the bridge, like escape pods. It takes longer, and its more exciting!

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Local Moderator
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 06:36:44 PM »
Ironically, I made it there in 10 seconds...  However, it does get harder if you don't clean out the guys hiding among the boxes.  Turn around, and you could easily have a minute's worth of fighting on your hands...

Oh, if you don't make it to the exit before the self destruct sequence ends, the screen blacks out, you hear an explosion sound effect, and you get hit with 200 hit points of damage.  In other words, instant game over...

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 07:36:01 PM »
lol...nice.

hmm...too bad you cant do duke nukem styled things...like the whole section of space station locking or moving into place. you (and most everyone) could use some of that.

Offline Dvader0086

• It's not stupid! It's advanced!
  • Quadrumpus
  • Thank You
  • Yep. The real me
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 12:52:40 AM »
you can actully do alot of thing with fraggle script... You'd be surprised...

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Local Moderator
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 01:56:15 PM »
I've never played duke nukem...

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting