Author Topic: [NOT NECESSARY IF YOU USE SLADE 3] Correct PNAMES lump for Chex Quest 3  (Read 3393 times)

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
***This ONLY applies if you're using XWE, otherwise, this doesn't happen. ***

I DO NOT recommend using XWE for doom modding, use Slade 3 instead

As far as I can tell, this PNAMES lump fixes all of the glitches in Chex3.wad's patch names.

Import it into XWE and use it to replace the original PNAMES.lmp if you find that a bunch of textures aren't showing up while you are making maps.

This texture problem is due to errors in the patch's names in pnames. This is an error in chex3.wad, it's not your fault. For some reason, it only really goes haywire when you try to edit in doombuilder 2 or use XWE.

use this .lmp file in your PWAD, not the chex3.wad IWAD, just to be safe. I don't know what havoc this will wreak in the IWAD.

I think it has something to do with using the TEXTURES lump (for composite scaled textures) instead of TEXTUREx, but I'm not sure.

This is not correct, it seems to start showing signs of pnames failure after the first edit.

The problem is that for some reason, random characters get added to the end of pnames, but they don't get added to the patches. It only effects patches which have short names. The long names don't have any room to have characters added to.

for example, if you had a patch named "SW_4", it would show up as "SW_4 A1" in PNAMES, or with some other gibberish added to the end of it. I've seen some really wild stuff, even non-english characters.

I suspect it's an XWE bug, but I'm not sure.

Let me know if something doesn't show up, or if you see something where it shouldn't be. As far as I know, the patches are right.

If the attachment doesn't work, here is the text.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

EDIT - If you've already added patch names (i.e. from patches you put in your pwad) to PNAMES before you realize you need this, you will get an error in doombuilder 2 if you don't delete them, doombuilder won't tolerate textures calling patches which aren't in pnames..

It won't destroy your wad, all you need to do is open XWE and re-add the patch names.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:45:10 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
Re: Correct PNAMES lump for Chex Quest 3
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:33:52 PM »
Shouldn't this be stickied? It applies to nearly everyone who mods under Chex3.wad
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Offline QuadrumpusGuy

• Quadrumpus
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
  • Croooow!
    • My Facebook Page
Re: Correct PNAMES lump for Chex Quest 3
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 12:38:45 PM »
The Only two that I have problems with are STARBR2 and STARG2

Offline Zorchdude

• Wiffleball of the fourms
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: [NOT NECESSARY IF YOU USE SLADE 3] Correct PNAMES lump for Chex Quest 3
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 04:20:38 PM »
I'm sorry for bumping this, but I can't actually import it using SLADE.

And yes, I know SLADE doesn't have problems with the old one, but Doom Builder 2 does have problems with that, so I'm just using this in case.
Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, BRAIN!
Narf.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 07:47:54 PM »
That doesn't seem possible, because Doombuilder just reads the patch names, if they are correct in SLADE, they should be correct for DB2.

Try opening Chex3/chex.wad in slade, and saving it. It may correct the PNAMES problem in the IWAD for you. If you opened your PWAD, or the chex IWAD in XWE, it may have had its PNAMES corrupted by XWE.

Offline Zorchdude

• Wiffleball of the fourms
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 09:46:56 AM »
Oh- I have actually opened CQ3 in SLADE, but I had done so in XWE before that. :/

Ah well, I have enough textures to use anyways.
Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, BRAIN!
Narf.

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 03:36:38 PM »
75, a little note:

XWE only corrupts stuff when you save with your cursor in a text editing box (as in, you just messed with some DECORATE lines, and the cursor is still blinking in the DECORATE code when you exit). However, if you click on a sprite or something else, click ok to the DECORATE save prompt, and then exit (or even just leave DECORATE and come back to it, without clicking in the text box, i believe) it will not corrupt your wad. There may be other scenarios that corrupt the wad, but i have not found any others. To be on the safe side, I just select a sprite then exit.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 08:18:57 PM »
That's not the error this PNAMES resolves, XWE was adding 2-3 nonsense characters to the end of every texture name that was shorter than 4 or 5 characters, extending all of the names to 8 characters by using stuff like & - % and some unicode characters that aren't on my keyboard

It would take a texture name like "Foo" and change it to "Foo -%$^" in PNAMES.

That would destroy almost all of the textures. For example, the texture STARTAN1 would be looking for patch #13; PNAMES says the patch is called "Foo -%$^", but there isn't a patch between PP_START and PP_END named "Foo -%$^", and every texture looking for foo now has that patch replaced by black.

EDIT - read the first post more carefully, I explained how to reproduce it in detail.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 08:22:54 PM by 75 »

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »
EDIT - read the first post more carefully, I explained how to reproduce it in detail.

Um, no it doesn't (or at least, i'm not seeing it).

And, I know exactly what error your talking about, its happened to me to. In fact, i used your fixed PNAMES to fix it. But, that is how the error happened to me.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 08:52:41 PM »
You're right, I said what the error was, not how it occured.

It happened every time I opened Texture1/2 in XWE, even if I didn't change anything.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting