Author Topic: Sprite Frames Guide 1.  (Read 4375 times)

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Local Moderator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 16
    • Chex Quest Replica!
Sprite Frames Guide 1.
« on: May 10, 2009, 03:38:59 PM »
Here, I'll teach what the sprite names mean, and how the game knows what is what.

First off, I'll give several pics off, since my Omega Cycloptis already has a line in my post for it, I'll use it for an example.

These are all the turns we're using right now. First off, I'm going to show what the names mean, by this, we'll have to examine the name of the pics, because that is how the game sees them as a certain angle.

The name of the fist pic is "OMCYA1", so let use this one.

"OMCY" is the name of the Flemoid, the first four letters are what puts it into a set. All of the sprites for my set should be "OMCY". (Please note I said "Should" it doesn't have to, just that it isn't very organized when they aren't.)

The "A" is its frame. Weather it's walking, firing, in pain, standing still, or dieing, these all have differant frames. (I'll get into this more a little later.)

The "1" at the end is what ever direction is facing.

1 =

8 =

7 =

6 = 

5 =

Now I'm going to teach you the opposite, or flipped way. We don't need to create the other directions left out, but instead ID Software made it easy on themselves by creating mirror sprites. So, we're going to mirror 8, 7, and 6.

Here's a mirror sprite name. "OMCYA6A4" The sprites are the same as our A6, but we added the A4. This A4 tells the engine to find the frames "A" for OMCY, then it tells it to change 6 into 4, but  mirror it. So, the A6, is it's normal way, no change, but our A4 will also be the same sprite, but mirrored to fix into the facing of 4. (For certain reasons, you can change the frame of the second one, to make the frame mirror for another. Say Walking 1, mirrored to walking 3.) To know you did the mirror right, simply add the two. A4 goes with 6, you need to get a answer of 10 to be sure you got the correct mirroring. Also, you shouldn't us mirror of A1 to A5, or vice versa, because it wont work very well.

So....

5 = North

4 = North West        6 = North east

3= West                                      7 = east

2 = South West       8 = South east

1 = South

South is facing towards you, and north being it's back faces you.

As said earlier, I'll get into the frames now.

The frames vary, and there is no certain frame that means a certain action. In Zdoom/Zdoom based ports/edge/more, it's possible to make your own creations through Decorate. This gives you the ability to state which frame letter means what. In legacy and the original, many other ports too, you cannot do that. (Mostly why half of us dislike the port) You'll need to replace all the frames from the monsters already given. EX. Mancubus. The frames for these will be put in the Sprite Frames Guide 2, which hopefully will be coming soon!
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Sprite Frames Guide 1.
« on: May 10, 2009, 03:38:59 PM »

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
Re: Sprite Frames Guide 1.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 06:35:06 PM »
Did you really have to mention that you dislike Legacy in here? You say Legacy and "others" yet you only specifically imply Legacy by using the singular.  Can we just get over these port discussions and get back to the point?
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 06:48:14 PM »
I'm not going to chide Replica for pointing out the technical aspects of the source ports as they relate to the tutorials he's making, but I will observe that I've seen this sort of thing an unusual number of times, especially with Legacy getting singled out among the ports Replica says can't do a certain thing.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Offline xbolt

• The Man with the Beard
  • Administrator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 65
  • Honor the Fallen
    • The Page of Xbolt
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 07:25:34 PM »
The constant Legacy bashing is really starting to annoy me. Yes, Cheezy can do a lot of things Legacy can't. But is that any reason to constantly hate on it? I mean, geez...

i used to be cool y'know

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 07:41:01 PM »
I agree. At first I said I preferred Cheezy but didn't mind Legacy, but this is really bugging.  And besides, Legacy can also do some stuff that Cheezy can't.

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 08:27:27 PM »
I'll post a reminder that it's acceptable for Replica to post such information, since he's making a tutorial, and it may be important for him to disclose such information in his tutorial. People looking may wonder why so-and-so information does not work in so-and-so port.

Now, let's not turn this into a bloodfest. Let's get back on the ball here. This is really nothing, and I frown at the fact that something like this could cause the trouble it has in the past.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Local Moderator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 16
    • Chex Quest Replica!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 09:18:03 AM »
... I signaled out legacy because it's the second most used port in CQ Fan modding community.

Now, does the tutorial make any sense?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:39:10 AM by Replica »
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 10:24:16 AM »
Not completely. You use the more confusing A6A4 format instead of the more standard A4A6 format, and as I've told you several times in your Flemoid topic, images 8, 7, and 6 need to have the white line flipped to the right side.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 05:52:35 PM »
White line?  And I agree, that really did confuse me since you go from 8 down....and skip 2, 3, and 4. Do the opposite of that, like Manny said.

And it's not the fact that Replica was telling what the ports' limitations were that bugs us, it was that he mentioned "half of us here dislike the port," an opinion that really should have been left out, that sparked it.

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 07:28:20 PM »
It was explaining his stance, and while that bit of commentary wasn't necessary for the tutorial, there is still nothing offensive there, unless you're taking this too seriously, and with the wrong meaning.

Now, let's continue on with the tutorial. Further comments can go over PMs.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 08:32:21 PM »
What? I don't know, let's just forget about it and move on.

So maybe reverse the sprite numbers or mirror them or what you were saying?

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting