Author Topic: Dead board?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
Dead board?
« on: June 25, 2010, 11:23:04 PM »
Ok guys, back me up on this...

Go to a client's house. Computer is an ASUS from 2006, PentiumDuo, 2GB DDR2, 320GB SATA, Windows Vista. Computer starts seemingly fine, shows the Windows Vista signs of having crashed earlier (asking how you want to boot the OS), and then crashes after selecting boot normally. Reboots, goes to log in, and crashes just after entering password.

Reboots...then bios screen is having what looks like corrupt video, and won't boot any more. Hard reset does not solve. Removing from power does not solve. Resetting CMOS does not solve. Computer will not boot after all attempted fixes.

Field Diagnosis: Corrupted BIOS or failing video chip.

Problems w/ Diag: Could video chip prevent BIOS from activating?

I'm requesting a second opinion.

However, in conclusion to my Field Diag, Field suggestion: New Motherboard.

Req's: IDE and SATA, LGA775, Firewire, DDR2, Integrated video and sound.

Alternate Suggestion: New computer built. Following BC's i3 build in Ben's topic. Save money on HDD, case, PSU, RAM...Req's for board is: IDE, SATA, Firewire, DDR2.

Aproval?
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • same old innocence
Re: Dead board?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 11:28:11 PM »
Were the reboots/shut offs getting more and more frequent? Like, first it gets to the OS, then barely, then POST, then doesn't turn on sort of thing? Sorry, my comprehension is minimal... those stoner guys have me laughing so hard. XD

Did you look inside the case? If the shut downs are getting more frequent from when you first started working on it through the end, it might be an unseated CPU heat sink.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 11:42:37 PM »
Its been getting progressively worse over the course of the few weeks, very bad at first, then got to where she could use it for awhile, then the graphics glitch affecting the BIOS would also affect her normal usage (and crash the computer). Then within the past week, its degraded so that it barely gets to the OS...then today it went out completely and I couldn't get it up at all.

Here's how it went: Boot, Load OS, reboot, load os, hit log in, reboot, then bios fail. Never fully loaded again. The BIOS seem to load, then get affected with this graphical glitch (almost like a digital version of your TV antenna being in the wrong place, and being in the wrong channel...with a base of pure digital clarity under the static.) I reset the CMOS with the battery pull, reseated the RAM, and checked the condition of the heatsink, and it all was good...

IDK

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 11:50:22 PM »
Sounds like your typical ASUS board then. :facepalm

I'll read over your plan when I'm on my non-Apple, but from what I saw it looks like a good one.

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 11:59:21 PM »
Sounds like your typical ASUS board then. :facepalm

I'll read over your plan when I'm on my non-Apple, but from what I saw it looks like a good one.

I'll read that again when there aren't any stoners ravaging the boards.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 01:49:43 AM »
Yeah, just get back at me as soon as you can (preferably before Sunday night), then i'm taking a leave of the forums for awhile...

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 12:43:50 PM »
It's not possible for you to give an official diagnoses without doing a bit of hardware swap and multimeter work to narrow down the problem. It could be anything, including the power supply. It would be dangerous for you to order the parts you think are toast only to find out it is the RAM or something. Tell him it's general hardware failure and you can't really give specifics unless you put a lot more time and work into it. I would suggest to him that his computer is old enough and broken enough that it's not really worth a fix unless he really wanted it and that for practically the same price, he could just build a new PC. The PC I put together for Ben really is a nice one. Especially if he's not a hardcore gamer. It renders older games just fine and you don't even need a dedicated GPU.

This is where those PC repair shops have the competitive edge over a single person. They can do all of this for a lot cheaper because they've got all these parts kicking around for use in diagnosing the problem. I've got a pretty impressive set of diagnostic hardware and a troubleshooting base station similar to this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_A3o0EjLYCNg/SPUtmhq7xeI/AAAAAAAACIc/GnjQtF1sT_M/s400/08-10-14+Antec+Skeleton+Top+Quarter.jpg But I still have to admit defeat sometime when compared to the PC repair shops. You can only do so much, unfortunately.  :-\

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 03:15:46 PM »
Alright then...I shall do that. Thanks!

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • same old innocence
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 03:43:50 PM »
Good luck! I think it's both your best option and his. In the end he'd be a lot happier with a new cheapo computer that totally blows a hole in his old one.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting