Chex Quest Platinum Pack

Started by LAZ Trooper, August 12, 2010, 11:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrueDude

If something like this is getting off the ground, another thing I might add is it would be unnecessary to include so many copies of the same game. (Chex Quest 3, which includes revamped 1 & 2, TUCQ, and the originals) TUCQ was great for it's time, and is a landmark that caused CQ to still have a fanbase today, but it is pretty outdated, and most additions that had been made for it are now in Chex Quest 3 anyways.

Another problem is that a lot of WADs run off of different Source Ports, and although most siwtched to ZDoom or GZDoom, major ones like Newmaps are still on Legacy.

I might help with setting this up if this gets started, but I have some doubts about how this will work. One of the good things that could come out of this though is it could show what the Chex Quest fan community has to offer, but a lot of the WADs are unfinished, unpolished, and generally can be a bit dull. (Not all of them, but a few)

Actually, TUCQ has some things that chex3 doesn't. Try it in hardware mode. In software, it looks pretty similar, but TUCQ definitely does some things that chex 3 doesn't
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Lucius

Quote from: 75 on August 15, 2010, 03:32:40 PM
Actually, TUCQ has some things that chex3 doesn't. Try it in hardware mode. In software, it looks pretty similar, but TUCQ definitely does some things that chex 3 doesn't

I was JUST about to say the same thing. You read my mind. I'm actually trying to implement certain things into your Skulltag pack that improves upon the maps in the CQ3 compilation. Things that TUCQ had like some of the textures, "3d" cabinets, etc.

I was thinking of improving a few chex3 maps too.

keep me posted with what you're doing, I'm really good with 3d floors, I could probably help you out.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

ChexCommander

Definitely the OpenGL work in TUCQ trumps CQ3's graphics, though of course CQ3 was meant to be played in the classic style of the originals.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Lucius

Quote from: 75 on August 15, 2010, 09:14:38 PM
I was thinking of improving a few chex3 maps too.

keep me posted with what you're doing, I'm really good with 3d floors, I could probably help you out.

Last time I checked, 3D floors were not enabled in software mode. I'm pretty good with them too but I'm trying to avoid using 3d floors so that the game is still the same on both openGl and software. Definitely I'll keep you posted.

I'm creating some simple new flats, patches and textures for this. I put them into your Skulltag pack for the time being as to not conflict with any patchnames or texture lumps. I'm saving the maps in another WAD called "CQ3mapfixes". If I get anywhere with this it may be released in a future pk3 with the skulltag pack.

noob1234

heh... ive had this idea before
and also an even more epic yet impossible idea where you get to each episode through an ingame hub a la strife.

Replica

Quote from: noob1234 on August 17, 2010, 05:59:19 PM
heh... ive had this idea before
and also an even more epic yet impossible idea where you get to each episode through an ingame hub a la strife.

That isn't impossible. In fact it is really easy.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

mob720

Quote from: TrueDude on August 15, 2010, 01:14:42 AM
Also, some of the WADs contain copyrighted material, like The Lost Quest I know had a Bomb-Omb in it, and other minor details for other ones. (I think Newmaps had Flying Battery music? No wait, I think it was some other mod)

OOH OOH E1M4 on my mod has Flying Battery music!! Im a winner!

In the Legacy Editing Resource it had a tut on how to make a (very simple) Megawad menu using a map you make, the player and some graphics you make... I don't remember how since it had some scripting involved and the Legacy Editing Resource had it but now the tut is gone from the internet so no luck there.
Still looking at my maps every now and then...