Are scans of the cereal box needed? *7/8/2010 Scans posted!*

Started by Aroenai, July 06, 2010, 06:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I remember I was always scared by the BWAs, because I thought they were really powerful. I phasing zorched them so quickly I didn't find out how strong they really were until much later  XD
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Aroenai

Quote from: ChexCommander on July 08, 2010, 12:01:06 PM
These scans are sheer win. Are those little circular things in the shape of CQ CDs just like little cutout badges or something? Man, I've never seen the actual cereal box before, as far as I remember. 

And the CQ 2 video, you saw it?! Dang, I wish there was a place to find it, that's definitely another piece of the CQ legacy that's been lost to time.

All I remember was that they were from one of the side panels, I don't remember what was around it but I'm sure it was something along the lines of free game disc inside.

Yeah, it took forever to load, I really do not miss the days of the 56k modems haha. It was more like a comic book, all the dialog was in speaking bubbles and it flipped between the scenes automatically. I'm pretty sure the camera only panned for the scene with the flemoid, there might have been background music but that was it.

arch129

[spoiler][/spoiler]

There are two screen shots of the game on the back of the box.  One thing I noticed is the numbers on the HUD look different and I don't recognize the location of either one of the shots, but the e1m5 one kinda does look like the slime fall at the start of the level.  I'm going to have to check this for myself.

mob720

For all we know those screens could have been taken in beta stages.
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Replica

Quote from: arch129 on July 09, 2010, 03:44:40 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

There are two screen shots of the game on the back of the box.  One thing I noticed is the numbers on the HUD look different and I don't recognize the location of either one of the shots, but the e1m5 one kinda does look like the slime fall at the start of the level.  I'm going to have to check this for myself.

There is also weapons on the HUD, rather then the Chex logo.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

QuadrumpusGuy

Also, take a look at the outline of the tank. Notice how it is all wavy.

Atariangamer

Anyone think they can make that hud happen? That's a slick looking HUD...

Also, notes:

First shot: Floor texture is weird. Also the perspective is VERY weird. The tank is a tad short, the biped is a tad tall, and it all looks a bit...shopped. Same with the shadows. I know doom has a little bit of shading, especially with the gun going off, but that looks a tad too smooth...possibly just the fact its being printed? Also, is it just me, or is it a tad unlikely that you'd be able to actually create that scenario of zorch? Have one on the last frame of zorching, another on the first/second of zorching, or possibly just pain state, and your gun on its last frame of discharge? Also, whats up with the textures in the back? are there windows there? or is that like a blackboard on it?

Second shot: Again with the lighting/shading. Also, perspective near the bottom of the waterfall. Feels weird.

IDK, conspiracy theory: They had some early level and graphics done, so they shopped together enough to put on the box, so by the time they finished the game, the box art could have been finalized and printed and filled with Chex, just awaiting a CD. Didn't they say they had a very small time limit? (reason they were thinking Macromedia till they settled on a quick DooM TC [which with a big team, wouldn't take nearly as long as some games do now]) Would make sense that its either beta shots, or was a quick 'shop.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Datra

Ya I can imagine these being super small custom maps just for some beta testing and box art.

Nonetheless these scans are historymaking AWESOMENESS!!
CQHD Community Dev

arch129

Does anybody know what font the numbers on the old HUD might be or at least look like?

Pikazec2012

Quote from: 75 on July 08, 2010, 02:08:01 PM
I remember the box, I think I was even at the store with my mom that day and got chex just because of the game.
What kid didnt get cereal because of the toy in it. I remember asking my mom for it and she was like "We dont even eat chex cereal!" IDK how i talked her into it (we might have bought it for christmas party mix or something.) but i remember teh box and the little pouch it game in.... i still have my pouch and disk somewhere!
I'm Pikazec2012 and this is my favorite site on the internet! (yes i know im 3 years behind on this meme)

Aroenai

Quote from: Pikazec2012 on July 10, 2010, 02:45:19 AM
What kid didnt get cereal because of the toy in it. I remember asking my mom for it and she was like "We dont even eat chex cereal!" IDK how i talked her into it (we might have bought it for christmas party mix or something.)

I hadn't eaten chex cereal very often either, I played the game at a friend's house first and wanted my own copy. We didn't eat that box with milk though, it was covered with melted chocolate, spread out over a cookie sheet, and left to harden. I can't remember if we used the 5lb. Hershey's bar I won or if that came later.

matthias720

:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

noob1234

SO AWESOME!!
i also dont think there are any "corpses" in the game, but idk.

ChexCommander

Quote from: noob1234 on July 15, 2010, 06:46:34 PM
SO AWESOME!!
i also dont think there are any "corpses" in the game, but idk.

No corpses from a first-person point of view, as you are the one getting slimed. From a third-person camera or multiplayer view, however, it's possible.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

MajorSlime

Quote from: arch129 on July 09, 2010, 03:44:40 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Dudes, I am almost a hundred percent sure those are artwork/hand drawn.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.