Chex quest Skulltag Pack

Started by 75, July 30, 2010, 12:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NOTE: This topic is out of date, see my releases and screenshots topics

This project will involve making several chex quest themed maps to each type (i.e., a couple CTF, a couple LMS, etc.)

It will include new weapons, new graphics, and new patches/textures. It will feature all the cqarena weapons, and then some. You will not have the same set of weapons for every map, instead, depending on the location, you will find different weapons.

I will post some weapons concept art later, my drawing and spriting has improved quite a lot.

QuadrumpusGuy is working on some maps too. I'll let him post screenshots of his maps.

The maps I have

An LMS map taking place in a storage facility.

LMS01
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I'm really happy with how this one is turning out. It's really fun to play, and it might even be my favorite LMS map, even though it's not done yet.

The deathmatch aspect of it needs a bit of work.

Next, an invasion map. Taking place on an an alien desert planet
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The quadrumpi will move slowly but shoot four powerful slmeballs at once  >:D

Next, another invasion map, the first invasion map I ever made. This one takes place in the sewers

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

based loosely off of my 3d floors experiment wad

And, a zorchmatch map
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

this map is probably in the roughest shape. Even though it looks nice, it's rather difficult to play in.

Let me know if you think of a good name for this, I don't want to call it "chextag"

All of my invasion maps will have acts and minibosses at the end of each act. There will be super smash bros - melee style bonus rounds, too, for extra powerups and weapons as a reward.

I might introduce a points system.

Richie: Could this project have a subforum? I should probably come up with a better name first

"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

noob1234

wow, looks awesome!!!
sadly, i'm not good at coming up with names

MajorSlime

Does it really need a name? I can't think of one that fits 'em all. Maybe we could just call it the Chex Quest Skulltag Package, as it appears to be just a package of various maps and stuff for skulltag.   :-\ I don't know, just an idea. BTW, could I add a map or two from Chex Quest: Reflections?
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Quote from: ChexMaster2109 on July 30, 2010, 06:40:17 PM
Does it really need a name? I can't think of one that fits 'em all. Maybe we could just call it the Chex Quest Skulltag Package, as it appears to be just a package of various maps and stuff for skulltag.   :-\ I don't know, just an idea. BTW, could I add a map or two from Chex Quest: Reflections?

Sure  :)

Make a map for me, and I'll put it in if it isn't too much trouble to work with.

You'll have to explain how that portal gun thing works, though, because I need to work it into my DECORATE
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

MajorSlime

I could just put my stuff in when your all done. Its not much, just inserting a couple weapons and monsters, the portal code is level based at the moment. Or i could put them in whenever you want, and you could use them in other maps.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Atariangamer

Yo 75...did they ever fix the 3d Floors in deathmatch bug?

afaik, the floors disappear and don't act in deathmatch mode
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

3d floors in competitive game modes are not rendered, it's a skulltag rule to keep people from cheating, since 3d floors would be invisible in software rendering (although, in my maps that would be more of a problem than an advantage)

So, my mexican mission map probably won't be in the skulltag wad, since it was deathmatch and used 3d floors heavily. I might put it in but it will take a great deal of tweaking.

Whether 3d floors should be rendered or not should really be up to the hosts... it's not like skulltag has a responsibility to protect people from cheaters.

EDIT - I'm now releasing the PWAD and IWAD to any regular CQFF member who wants to try it. I'd really like some feedback, although keep in mind that most of the maps are only partially done.

NOTE THE Zs in the sprite names! They do not replace PLAY sprites, and they are NOT compatible

I decided to do something different

It looks nice in game, except chexter changes to green instantly when he gets hit. I'm not sure how to fix that yet. Fixed

Also, I haven't worked out the slime damagetype yet. Fixed

Zorch will be the default, because I don't want to mess with things like A_RailAttack. It's MUCH easier to have flemoids do slime attacks and set zorch as the default. Assigning damagetypes to every weapon is a drag.

I also haven't fixed the decals, when weapons hit chexter, it makes slime drips. Fixed

QuadrumpusGuy

I have an idea of what I will be submitting to the map pack

E1M2 from my mod (The City - Going to tweak some One-way areas and add Deathmatch starts, as well as disabling the Level Exit, perhaps have the doors slimed that lead to the Train)

Crate Fortress Team DM / CTF / ST Map

Invasion at the Spaceport Map (Just came up with the name right off the bat - will be changed)

Maybe a Variant of either E1M5 or E2M1 from my mod (The Stronghold and Temple - As with E1M2, fixing the problem with One-Way Passages)

And maybe another DM / CTF / ST Map or two, another invasion map, etc.

I have now coded the flem death states in

Chexter now has two completely separate death and pain sequences, one for slime, and one for zorch, and they both work except for the color problems  :)

QuadrumpusGuy

Quote from: 75 on August 01, 2010, 12:16:02 PM
I have now coded the flem death states in

Chexter now has two completely separate death and pain sequences, one for slime, and one for zorch, and they both work except for the color problems  :)

Can't wait to see it!  :)

Should we do something about freezing zorch?

Also, here is the Crate Fortress Map at the moment

http://www.mediafire.com/?ubs7eycl839aqwj

I need to make some Team Deathmatch Starts and maybe add more detail to some areas.

I'm going to work in ice pain and ice death, yes

In the meantime, I need two sounds. A zorch death and extreme zorch death sound

The current death sound has slime in it, and it sounds off with the zorch sound. So if you're from chex squadron, and you would like to volunteer, please post your best shot at a zorch death sound in this topic.

Anything that sounds surprised or a generic "darn he got me" sort of sound would be ok, but it has to sound like his voice. I might be able to adjust the pitch if it's too high or low, but it has to be close.

Or, if somebody can help me take the slime sounds out of the death sounds, that would work too.

QuadrumpusGuy

Maybe do some word splicing using Fred Chexter's voice in the CQ Cinematics?

Fixed the color problem

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
It turns out chexter MUST be blue

sprites updated

Also, I fixed the slime dripping off of chexter problem by putting +NOBLOOD

Also, slime doesn't drip off of chexter when he's shot anymore

Quote from: QuadrumpusGuy on August 01, 2010, 12:41:03 PM
Maybe do some word splicing using Fred Chexter's voice in the CQ Cinematics?

would somebody mind looking through it for me? That ending video makes me cringe

UPDATE - Fixed the screen flashes, so now the screen flashes red when you get zorched, and green when you get slimed.

Lucius

This is very good. Separating the two death sequences. I was planning on doing the same thing, but it seems like you know darn well what you are doing here. I'm still new to much of this myself, so how are you doing this exactly? Are you basically defining two damage types that cause you to go into completely separate death and pain sequences?

The other thing I was curious about was why you said it requires OpenGl rendering.

I'd like to see this become it's own freestanding WAD (or pk3) that can run solely on either The Ultimate DooM IWAD or the original Chex Quest IWAD.