Chex quest Skulltag Pack

Started by 75, July 30, 2010, 12:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I could have it run the original chex IWAD, but that would mean importing a lot of chex3-only textures into my PWAD.

It requires OpenGL because the invasion maps use 3d water and 3d floors, it's only completely necessary because in software rendering you can't swim up in 3d water. Also, a few of the textures and weapons are going to be .pngs not in the doom pallete.

For the competitive maps, it's going to be more like "OpenGL or it may look like garbage"

i.e.

[spoiler]

OpenGL

vs.

Software

[/spoiler]

It's definitely playable, but it's a lot uglier than it needs to be. Not to mention, dynamic lighting is invisible, so it definitely wouldn't be the best way to play.

The seprate pain and death states were really easy, actually. I just modified the chexplayer

By the way, the chex warrior getting zorched frames were made using only colors in the doom pallete, so they should work great in software

actor ChexPlayer75 : DoomPlayer
{
game chex

Player.DisplayName "Chex Warrior75"
  Player.CrouchSprite "" // I will put this in later

Player.StartItem "MiniZorcher75"
  Player.StartItem "Bootspoon"
  Player.StartItem "MiniZorchRecharge", 50

Player.DamageScreenColor "60 b0 58"
  Player.WeaponSlot 1, Bootspoon75, Bootspork75
  Player.WeaponSlot 2, MiniZorcher75
  Player.WeaponSlot 3, LargeZorcher75, SuperLargeZorcher75
  Player.WeaponSlot 4, RapidZorcher75, UltraRapidZorcher
  Player.WeaponSlot 5, ZorchPropulsor75, Zorchlauncher
  Player.WeaponSlot 6, PhasingZorcher, Railzorcher
  Player.WeaponSlot 7, LAZDevice, LiquidZorcher
  Player.ColorRange 192, 207

+NOBLOOD
  Damagefactor "Zorch", 1.0

States
  {
               // Zorch pain and death states
  Pain:
    PLAY O 4 A_SetBlend("99 20 20", .5, 20) //makes the player's screen flash a bright pink color
  PLAY O 4 A_Pain
    Goto Spawn
    Death:
    XDeath:
    PLAY P 0 A_SetBlend("99 20 20", 1, 120)
    PLAY P 15 A_PlayerScream
    PLAY Q 15 A_NoBlocking
    PLAY R 15
    NONE A -1
    Stop

// flem pain and death states
    Pain.Flem:
    PLAY G 4
    PLAY G 4 A_Pain
    Goto Spawn
    Death.Flem:
    XDeath.Flem:
    PLAY H 10
    PLAY I 10 A_PlayerScream
    PLAY J 10 A_NoBlocking
    PLAY KLM 10
  PLAY N -1
    Stop

// maybe add extremedeath flems?
    }
}

I used the zorch death and pain frames in the default death and pain states, and created another pain and death state with the "flem" damagetype.

Giving flemoids the "flem" damage type was pretty much done for me, in chex3.wad. It's really quite simple to give enemies a damagetype, if you get stuck, send me a PM and I'll help you out. :)
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

ChexCommander

Sweet deal, I've always wanted more Skulltag maps!
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Lucius

I think 75 definitely has something good going here. The key is optimization. To get rid of everything that we don't need and to get all the WAD files running independent of each other. Then it is possible to package them all in a pk3 file for releases. I'm also thinking of improving all of the lighting fixtures by adding brightmaps to everything so that they all look more realistic in both software and openGl mode.

I also hope that we can add Strife's amazing flemoids to this pack as well. I want to get all this stuff done so that I can return to my true purpose, mapping!

ChexCommander

Quote from: Lucius on August 08, 2010, 01:33:01 PM
I think 75 definitely has something good going here. The key is optimization. To get rid of everything that we don't need and to get all the WAD files running independent of each other. Then it is possible to package them all in a pk3 file for releases. I'm also thinking of improving all of the lighting fixtures by adding brightmaps to everything so that they all look more realistic in both software and openGl mode.

I also hope that we can add Strife's amazing flemoids to this pack as well. I want to get all this stuff done so that I can return to my true purpose, mapping!

Optimization is definitely what we should strive for here. If we got a pk3 with all the stuff necessary for CQ Skulltag, we'd be up and zorching in no time.

Brightmaps is a really good idea, I was thinking of that. So far, I'm not sure how to work it, but I'll look at it when I have time
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

QuadrumpusGuy

The Crate Fortress map is close to completion. I'm just making a few adjustments to it and may add some other minor details, like Conveyor Belts.

QuadrumpusGuy

Well then, here is Crate Fortresses, about 96% finished (See Below)! It uses Chex3.wad as the IWAD.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?u05288t94u0tt2b

The map has two sides: A red and blue side, with different bases. I never did get to figuring out Team Starts for Deathmatch unfortunately, but if you figure that out, that would be awesome. Also I need to figure out the scripting for CTF and ST, so it is not done yet. I may also put in a few more teleporters.

Map ID is QUAD01, but that is a temporary placeholder for it.

[spoiler]But, there is a secret in this map! A secret related to the mini quest in the Hotel Lounge I have been working on. (In other words, an Uber Quest!)[/spoiler]

All of the Red Diamonds with Yellow !s are placeholders for Random Powerups, SSG, Mega Sphere, etc.

Screenshot time! (It was in software mode so they look kinda cruddy)

[spoiler]
Part of the stoner ninja hallway

Security Room

Team Selection Area

View from one of the Outposts

Halls in the Blue Section

[/spoiler]

Nice camera room!

I'll do a test on it, then let you know what I think.

I'll add my custom crate colors too, it looks a bit bland as it is right now.

QuadrumpusGuy

Yes, it does need your crates.

I also need to hide a few secret areas from the auto map (Like I did with the uber quest area)

Oh, and yes, it is a bit tricky to get into some secret areas.

ChexCommander

Sweet deal, you guys are awesome! I take back what I said about needing doom2 for CQ Skulltag.

Loving the Stoner Hall of Fame, Quadrumpus. XD

QuadrumpusGuy

Quote from: ChexCommander on August 11, 2010, 03:19:35 PM
Sweet deal, you guys are awesome! I take back what I said about needing doom2 for CQ Skulltag.

This will not be it's only appearance. It also appears in my Hotel Lounge Mod. As well as something else in that room.

I just had to make a tribute to the Stoner Ninjas.

By the way, what are we going to do about classes? Will we make a class for every Cqskin?

ChexCommander

Quote from: QuadrumpusGuy on August 11, 2010, 03:29:56 PM

This will not be it's only appearance. It also appears in my Hotel Lounge Mod. As well as something else in that room.

By the way, what are we going to do about classes? Will we make a class for every Cqskin?

Yeah, if you want you could make properties for a bunch of different skins. I know Mercenaries did a lot with a class based system, so you could take a look in that wad.

QuadrumpusGuy

It's the only way for skins to work in Chex Quest 3 that I know of, unless you found a way to bypass it.

Quote from: ChexCommander on August 11, 2010, 03:35:59 PM
Quote from: QuadrumpusGuy on August 11, 2010, 03:29:56 PM

Yeah, if you want you could make properties for a bunch of different skins. I know Mercenaries did a lot with a class based system, so you could take a look in that wad.

I might have a few classes, but they're going to be more or less identical in weapons and properties (*cough captain falcon class)

I didn't know you had to make a different class for every skin, but it's certainly doable. Probably the best way to go, considering I have so many damagetypes.  ;)

I have no idea how to make skins at the moment, I'll look into it later.

QuadrumpusGuy

I could try and make classes. I've never tried that before, but I've made those Experimental skins which were not too hard, except for the red-diamond thing with the Maximus, and I had to replace teleportus sprites with BWA due to the fact whenever you died it entered it's attack/teleport phase sprites.