Author Topic: Ubuntu Linux (for serious this time)  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Keelah se'lai
Ubuntu Linux (for serious this time)
« on: July 31, 2010, 02:07:12 AM »
Imagine that you're stuck in a room with about 20 Windows computers. Each of them needs reformatting, and then a fresh installation of XP and Drivers. And you're alone, and the room is empty and cold.

Then you remember your Ubuntu disc...

Yeah, so I loaded Ubuntu for messing with on a school computer, and after major searching and tweaking, I finally get it streaming my favorite radio station with no video or audio lag. And it was epic. The more and more I looked around, the more and more awesome it became...And then I come home that night, and attempt to finish up the Service Pack 1 install I was doing on my laptop so I could get some quick browsing done before bed...and I get SO many errors from firefox about security and all that. I didn't have the time to fiddle with setting up windows how I wanted, so I thought back to how epic it was...and how fail it was I left the CD there! So today, I got it back, did more windows and more ubuntu, and bring the disc home to try a laptop setup:

Here's the basics: Its a Dell Inspiron 1300, Pentium M 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Dell TrueMobile 1300 wifi, and Intel GMA900 series graphics.

Initial installation went well, it immediately picked up on the graphics and sound, as well as the ethernet card. Only thing with a problem is the wireless...and that's what's shut me down in the past. So, I want to get it working for realz now.

Few questions for the savvy user:

-I installed using a 9.10 disc, and on the update manager, it says Upgrade to 10.04 LTS...does this require major stuff? or is it as simple as letting it download and install?
-can anyone point me in the direction of a good WINE tutorial? I'd enjoy having at least GTA on here if possible...
-And of course, the wireless...i've tried to follow this tutorial, but its old as heck, and right off the bat, I had issues with it not working. I'm attempting to install ndiswrapper by compiling it, but ran into stuff about there being no such package, going to attempt fixing it, then requiring updates...IDK. It *is* a 4306 chip, but since I'm in the middle of an update, I can't really figure out the revision).

I really wanna make this work. Legit. Not some "Oh, i wanna try linux but still wantz windoez", I want Ubuntu to be the main and only OS on this laptop.

...so what do I do?
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline Pikazec2012

• Maximus
  • If i could marry any girl, it would be Lilly Satou
Re: Ubuntu Linux (for serious this time)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 02:36:10 AM »
Imagine that you're stuck in a room with about 20 Windows computers. Each of them needs reformatting, and then a fresh installation of XP and Drivers. And you're alone, and the room is empty and cold.

Then you remember your Ubuntu disc...

Yeah, so I loaded Ubuntu for messing with on a school computer, and after major searching and tweaking, I finally get it streaming my favorite radio station with no video or audio lag. And it was epic. The more and more I looked around, the more and more awesome it became...And then I come home that night, and attempt to finish up the Service Pack 1 install I was doing on my laptop so I could get some quick browsing done before bed...and I get SO many errors from firefox about security and all that. I didn't have the time to fiddle with setting up windows how I wanted, so I thought back to how epic it was...and how fail it was I left the CD there! So today, I got it back, did more windows and more ubuntu, and bring the disc home to try a laptop setup:

Here's the basics: Its a Dell Inspiron 1300, Pentium M 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Dell TrueMobile 1300 wifi, and Intel GMA900 series graphics.

Initial installation went well, it immediately picked up on the graphics and sound, as well as the ethernet card. Only thing with a problem is the wireless...and that's what's shut me down in the past. So, I want to get it working for realz now.

Few questions for the savvy user:

-I installed using a 9.10 disc, and on the update manager, it says Upgrade to 10.04 LTS...does this require major stuff? or is it as simple as letting it download and install?
-can anyone point me in the direction of a good WINE tutorial? I'd enjoy having at least GTA on here if possible...
-And of course, the wireless...i've tried to follow this tutorial, but its old as heck, and right off the bat, I had issues with it not working. I'm attempting to install ndiswrapper by compiling it, but ran into stuff about there being no such package, going to attempt fixing it, then requiring updates...IDK. It *is* a 4306 chip, but since I'm in the middle of an update, I can't really figure out the revision).

I really wanna make this work. Legit. Not some "Oh, i wanna try linux but still wantz windoez", I want Ubuntu to be the main and only OS on this laptop.

...so what do I do?

for wine i just google "running (game) in wine" or "running (game) in ubuntu
As for updating to 10.04 idk cause i started with 10.04
and i have no idea how to do wireless. ive tried all day. so... id ask bc, richie, or check out ubuntu forums.com
I'm Pikazec2012 and this is my favorite site on the internet! (yes i know im 3 years behind on this meme)

Offline Richie

• Administrator
  • Flembrane
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 02:30:49 PM »
1.  The feature that allows you to upgrade via the web is known as rolling release.  It's primarily for those who have done major changes to their system, and do not have the time to redo all of those changes (though it's a double edged sword, as too much straying from the default repositories can mess it up).  It takes a LONG time to complete.  Like, it would be faster to download 10.04 and just do a fresh install.  On the note of 10.04, it's incredible.  I've been using it since it was in beta.  The only bug I have come across is, sometimes after an update, all of your channels will mute, and you must restart to unmute them (...I know... lol).  It has better wireless support and it's a LTS (Long Term Support) release, so if it worked well for you, they would continue to support it with updates for three years.  So, if you have the time, I highly recommend 10.04.

2.  There is no one good WINE tutorial, as different games have different ways of being setup.  Remember that if you use WINE, your framerates will drop, and you will encounter some glitches.  If you don't do much gaming on this machine, though, it'll be fine.  Steam games generally run pretty well.  For tutorials for individual games, check out the AppDB at WineHQ.org.  GTA: SA has a Gold rating, so it would run really well!  For specific instructions, just ask me.  I've installed Steam through WINE enough times where I can explain it pretty easily.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=15325&iTestingId=40723

3.  Wireless has always been a bugger with Linux, as you know.  I wouldn't recommend using that tutorial, as it's old as heck.  Wrappers are becoming needed less and less these days.  Is a wireless driver listed in the Restricted Drivers Manager?  (System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers)  If not, I highly recommend downloading 10.04, booting the live-CD, and checking the manager there.  It is just so much better in every way.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »
So, forget 9.10, hit up a fresh install of 10.04 LTS, and probably solve everything (save WINE)?

...hmm. *clicks download*

While we're in this, though, I wanna know what you think of the specs. The computer isn't to terribly 'spectacular'...but it should have been able to run GTA fine...will WINE kill that chance?

Offline Richie

• Administrator
  • Flembrane
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 04:24:47 PM »
Let me know if your wireless driver shows up in the Drivers Manager.  It'll give me a good idea how to go on once you're on 10.04.

While we're in this, though, I wanna know what you think of the specs. The computer isn't to terribly 'spectacular'...but it should have been able to run GTA fine...will WINE kill that chance?

Possibly.  It's hard to tell, but with that graphics card, the odds are not in your favor.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 05:16:30 PM »
Well, wireless is up, graphics work pretty well, and it feels nice an responsive. Awesome.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 12:52:26 AM »
well darn...wireless is spotty and over all just junk

lets try internet card number 2...

EDIT: wow. amazing. The lower model (the B130) came with a newer and better card than the best model (the 1300).

Dell Wireless 1370, based off of the BCM4318 chip. ALOT newer, 2004 instead of 2001-02. Mebe this'll work better?

DANG. Plug 'n' play better...better signal reception, uber speeds, and its just epic.

NOW! 2 things...theme modding, and Steam. Wanna try and make this Black Mesa themed, and then run Half Life 1 on it XD
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:27:42 AM by Atariangamer »

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
    • same old innocence
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:04:17 AM »
NOW! 2 things...theme modding, and Steam. Wanna try and make this Black Mesa themed, and then run Half Life 1 on it XD

So your wireless drama is over?  ;D

For WINE + [Anything], check out: http://www.winehq.org/

And what kind of theme is this? (Beryl, Compiz, GTK, Metacity, etc) Where did you get it?

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 10:50:34 AM »
Wireless is finished. That new card worked perfectly, and worked on the pure 43 drivers instead of the 43legacy. Good times now.

And theme...idk. I wanna try to put in my own pictures and stuff. But I've been wondering, what's the difference?

Offline brain candy

• Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Chex Master
    • same old innocence
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 11:46:53 AM »
Wireless is finished. That new card worked perfectly, and worked on the pure 43 drivers instead of the 43legacy. Good times now.

And theme...idk. I wanna try to put in my own pictures and stuff. But I've been wondering, what's the difference?

Glad the wireless is all worked out. :)

The difference is mainly that most of those desktop enhancers and whatnot aren't well supported under Ubuntu anymore, but one can still download them from Gnome Look. Just checking. So you're making your own theme then? I don't know how best to go about that. Hrm. ><

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »
Compiz is always fun. ;)
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal