Main Menu

Discussion topic

Started by 75, August 06, 2010, 02:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuadrumpusGuy

Here is my feedback:

-The Layout offered little-to-no cover. The sloped areas were extremely steep and in my match with 75, he suicided accidentally a few times from propulsors exploding on the slopes. The sloped areas also have no cover and a hitscanner in that area would have little-to-no problem taking out enemies.

-In One of the areas, there is a wall that is passable but there's no clear indicator that you could go through there. When I saw 75 come out, I was confused. This area is a DEATH TRAP. Not being able to see the enemy right in front of you isn't a good thing in this type of situation.

-The Teleporters were in the middle of the combat area on the center pillar... Sometimes one of use would accidentally step through it. It would probably be wise to delete them and have the ones at the bottom lead to other areas or just have one-way teleporter systems with ZHeight Teleport Destination things to avoid telefragging.

-Not much variety in the weapons, or quantity. Weapons in this map were scarce, but ammo wasn't. There was a tad too much in the center. It'd probably be better to disperse it throughout the map, and maybe a cache here and there.

-Add more detail. The map seemed a bit too featureless - A lot of the hallways were blank.

Also, for water areas (In UDMF config), you can color your water sectors without the use of scripts. If you go to the "Custom" Tab, then scroll down to "LightColor," you can customize the color of your sector lights.

TrueDude

I will try to assess all of these problems the best I can.

Also, I'm going to revamp the graphics to be only a sewer theme now, since that's already a whole wing and the centerpiece.

EDIT: Ok, this doesn't fix all of the problems, but certainly a lot of them are addressed.

QuadrumpusGuy

Progress on a Survival Map so far: (I've been working on this for quite a while now...)

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I made a very basic Capture Point map.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zpcmd9afqvhvqtf

It still has some problems:

1. I would like to make it so that the point gets captured faster if there are more players on it. Right now, it gets captured at the same rate as long as your team outnumbers the enemy.

2. It got glitched out very badly once on my test server, I don't know how that happened, but nobody could capture any points. Thus... it's unstable.

3. The noise is annoying, but that's an easy fix
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

MajorSlime

Wow.

I really like the survival map Quad.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Replica

Impressive! It looks really highly detail! Good job!
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

QuadrumpusGuy

(First post from my DS browser) Anyone up for helping test that map out tomorrow?

MajorSlime

I will, if possible. I might also have mine tested.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

QG and I are working on extending Chex Quest 3 to three 9 level episodes.

QG has made E1M7, (screenshots can be found in this post) and I'm working on E1M8. E1M8 is 1/3 done.

Also, we're going to re-do some of the standard levels levels in Chex Quest 3, because they are too easy for co-operative play.

I've also added effects to the slime, so that when a slime ball hits a wall, it leaves splats. I also made the flembomination much more powerful, it now fires a touhou-inspired slime ball curtain.

Screenshots of this effect: (1024x768 images):

[spoiler]This room was clean before he entered:
Before:

After:

[/spoiler]

I also added The Slimeinator's freeable captives. I added a reward for freeing them, they drop zorchers, health, and powerups when freed (the set of items you get are random).

I was trying to have the stridici leave slimy footprints. Since you can't have decals on the floor, I had them spawn slimy footprint actors. This didn't work well, though, after a certain number of these actors were spawned, no more were generated. I could have them fade out, but the stridici takes so many steps, it would look strange, and the effect would look worse for every stridici on the map. Because there is a limited amount of these footprint actors I can spawn, slimy footprints are beyond this engine, unless there are only one or two stridici in the map.

Other fixes:

- Bipedici now fire three slime balls, BWAs fire two.
- I made Lord Snotfolus more powerful.
- QG made Brand X Warriors, which attack Chex Warriors, and also attack flemoids if they are hit by slime. They carry zorchers. These enemies need voices

Code fixes:
- The Flembomination can now see you from any angle
- The bootspoon, zorchgloves, and bootsporks do not alert enemies
- Added colors to pickup messages, to make it easier to see that you have picked up a weapon, and what you picked up.
- I fixed the LAZ obituary glitch

I still want to implement special voices for zorch pain and death for Chexter, but my voice isn't strong enough. If you are willing/able to do voices for this mod, good voiceovers for Chexter and the Brand X Warriors would definitely make the game better.  If I use your work, I will credit you in the credits lump in the .pk3.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

TrueDude

I know this isn't much, but you can use the modified spinning key sprites from my Heretic Chex Quest mod if you want. (Or anything else in it for that matter) They'll probably need a little more modifying but they're pretty good.

Sendspace deleted your file, you should always use mediafire, drdteam, or fathax. Mediafire will delete your files if you don't use them for a period of time (3 months?), the other two will never delete your files.

Also - I haven't seen your keys since you released the wad, but I remember thinking that the shading was incorrect.

Thanks for the download link, TrueDude. I didn't use your keys, but I did use your Gyro Sprites with propeller for a base to complete my version of the Gyro. Did you make the propeller? I want to make sure I credited the right person for that.

(thumbnail image, click on it to make it bigger)

You can try the Gyro out with this pk3 - http://www.mediafire.com/?wse019ny2c39911 (ChexSTPackP15-4-Gyro.pk3 )

EDIT - just run it as a PWAD on Chex3, you don't need to run it as an extra file to ChexSTPackP15-4

it doesn't appear in any maps, but you can summon it with the console command "summon gyro".

It is complete, with zorch pain/death sprites, and attack sprites. When it gets zorched, the flemoid zorches away, but the copter rig floats down to the ground by itself.

The helicopter runs constantly, even when it is attacking.

I plan on adding a better animation for its death state.

I made a video of this enemy:

TrueDude

Yeah, I made the propeller blades.

They are great! May I use them?