Main Menu

Discussion topic

Started by 75, August 06, 2010, 02:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrueDude

Yeah, anything from that mod is available for anyone to use.

I added some detailing to ZM01, and a surprise guest.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

MajorSlime

Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Hey CM2109,

Remember to look at ZM09 when you get a chance, here's what I've got:

I'd like you to take a look at it because to be frank I'm tired of playing my own maps and even though ZM09's flawed I liked to play it because it was something different, if you don't have time to fix it I'll tweak it myself but I'd rather have somebody else look at it if possible.

- You said: Too many boxes in the map, make more space

My complaints:

- Way too many cells for a BFG in this map, plus walkable midtextures in this map make the BFG OP because you can detonate the LAZ balls on them and get huge spread. I think this is a bad BFG map, maybe it's a good idea to remove the BFG and the secret area currently going to it, but it's a fun secret.... so I hesitated to do that.

- The plasma area is a camp spot, the vents leading to the plasma area are a camp spot too; the plasma's not even that good and it further saturates this map with cells, so maybe this should be removed too? This is a great railgun map, though.

- The path to get to the BFG is probably easy to camp too but then again not many people will go there, so it might not be worth camping, probably kind of a useless area though.

- The refrigerated crate area has some dead ends and also has a bad spawn, to be honest most of this map has bad spawns; in my more recent maps I've tried to avoid putting spawns in places where who's spawning can't easily get out of the line of fire but back when I originally made this 5 years ago I didn't think like that.

- There's a few other bad spawns in this map, and some spawns without guns IIRC

- Mild annoyance: The CRATHAT series of textures changed since P14 so some of the CRATOPs don't match the crates anymore

Stuff I noticed about other maps:

Pro Zorchmatch Arena has some bad spawns / spawns without weapons, this will be fixed. It's probably smart to have players spawn on at least some weapon (even though there's always something in the same room), or give them something in ACS, I'll probably go with the latter method because that pistol is worthless in ZM.

EDIT:

Fixed some bad spawn positions, made players start with Large Zorcher
This map had some extreme ammo spam, I removed most of the boxes of ammo and cells, now there's just 2 cells, which is more than enough.

TNCQ Classic Duel's spawns could use some work, also I put it twice in the hub (whoops)

EDIT 2: Wow this detailing on ZM08 is extremely sloppy

CM are you sure you can fix this because I kind of want to delete it again...
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Drwalrustein

Hey 75 have you figured out why my font is not working.

MajorSlime

Oh yeah, I can fix it. I already have some ideas.

- BFG, yeah needs to be removed. I'm thinking put the active-camo in its place. As it is, that active-camo is too easy to find.

- I have some ideas for a few of the dead-ends and cramped areas.

How is it going? Has there been any progress on this CM2109?

MajorSlime

To be honest, I forgot about it. I've been rather busy lately. I did however spend some time on it yesterday. All I can say is, next time you play it, it'll feel like the old map, but look quite a bit different in some spots. So yes, progress :P I'll post some screenies once I have a bit more done.

MajorSlime

UPDATE

Just two screenies of the fridge room. I cleared a lot of the box clutter to make it easier to move around. In some cases I raised the boxes so they were hanging, which looks kind of neat, and allows them to be used to jump to without cluttering the ground. The double-tall hanging box exists to block the view of the lift from the door, so that someone isn't completely vulnerable while waiting for it/going up it. In addition, since this room tends to see a lot of use with more than high-priority object as a prize, I added a one-way teleporter as an additional exit. Leads to the same exit-teleport as the rest. There are now two spawns in this room, both on top of an LZ as well as on top of the crates.

(Click to Englarge)

Hmm..  sounds like some good ideas, let me know when/if you want to test this

MajorSlime

As a note: I also removed a lot of the doors in the 'central loop' as I felt they were hindering flow. In many of the cases, I've modified the geometry so you still can't see through where the door used to be (corners, S-Curves, etc), but you can move through the same area much faster. I'm leaving the freezer room door and a couple in the middle. In addition, I've moved most if not all of the player spawns to either on top of a crate or somewhere else decently sheltered, as well as made sure each of them spawned on some sort of weapon. (Some player spawns are next to if not on top of general weapon spawns, such as the SLZ) I might have a working test version by tomorrow; the day after at the latest.

How's it going CM? Any progress?

MajorSlime

Now there is. COMPLETION!

For the most part, the level kept the same design layout, with the exception of crates being moved around and removed in order to create easier pathways, as well as many doors being removed and replaced with arches. The only two areas that have significant changes are the freezer room, as previously seen, and the outer hallway, which now has a staircase to the upper area in replacement of where the vent once was. This is so there are more options for paths to the upper area.

(Click to Englarge)

Ready for testing whenever.

Hmm, that's great news CM -- unfortunately I'll be quite wrapped up with school for for the next week and a half or so. I'll probably have a couple minutes to run through this after that though.

MajorSlime

So, let me know when you want to run this :P