Author Topic: Can a legacy mapper help me figure out TUCQ's teleporters?  (Read 5145 times)

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 68
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
Re: Can a legacy mapper help me figure out TUCQ's teleporters?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 01:19:16 PM »
This

Sorry for the long long time in responding.  I only just saw it today.

I exploited a mild bug in Legacy.  When dynamic lights light up a middle texture with transparent areas it will light up the transparent parts too, so the teleporter pad is surrounded by completely transparent textures and the dynamic light in the centre of the pad lights them up.

Offline mob720

• still alive
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Can a legacy mapper help me figure out TUCQ's teleporters?
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 12:59:15 AM »
Well, I sure hope they never fix that bug because the way the teleporters look is just beautiful. 75, I didn't know you had never mapped Legacy...

In Skulltag the dehacked lump has no effect on these objects, so making things in DECORATE would be your best bet. The glow effect doesn't work because dynamic lighting is made to pass through transparent textures, which is why you're not seeing results. (You probably have it figured out to here.) A semi-transparent animated texture seems like your best bet, and it might work if you can pull off the semi-transparency in Skulltag the way the dynamic, bobbing light tapers off at the top. Whoever said that making an off-color cyan texture and using that to reflect the dynamic light is a good idea too, but only for use on indoor, low-medium ceiling teleporters, because otherwise the off-color texture would be seen all the way to the top of the teleporter, where there is no dynamic lighting.

Unless you find a way to make the light reflect off of a full-transparent texture like in TUCQ, your "workarounds" won't look as good, if I'm picturing them right. The sparkle would be best thing to work on first, since you can make it work and look good.
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting