Main Menu

Progress

Started by 75, September 17, 2010, 04:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MajorSlime

Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

I just played through a bit of LAZ08, not bad.

1. Ammo placement needs some work. I'm always running out. It's better to have 10 small ammo spawners that respawn quickly instead of having only one large zorcher crate. I reccomend having spawners for both large packs and small ammo pieces, that way, the people who race in and take everything won't cause everyone else to have no ammo.

2. I couldn't figure out how to get to the quadrumpus (plural) in wave 3 (it might have been wave 2). They were behind windows in a room high above the ground.

Also, slime balls shouldn't be able to go through glass, make the windows broken.

3. Use broken grates for grates the player is able to pass through.

4. In wave 2, the area that you warp to is a really awkward place to fight flemoids. It could use some work in appearance too, it's just a bunch of nondescript brown boxes. Can you make the layout better and make it a more interesting room?

So, fix those things and send it back. I like your map concept.

EDIT - ok, I played all of your maps

I never found a LAZ04 - was that the space station one? I can't find the link to it.

so I'll start with LAZ05

It's a pretty good map, but too cramped. Spread out the spawn locations. I don't recommend putting a random powerup right in the center, since most of the powerups are really strong.

1. the door textures you use have red lights on them, I'm using that to represent locked doors. I'll add the unlocked doors to the wad for the next beta

2. I saw a <!> flag in there, near that huge drop

3. watch your sector tags, there were a few things that shouldn't have been scrolling.

other than that, pretty good. Vary the lighting and add some dynamic lighting to make it look more atmospheric (like INV01). It doesn't have to be dark, but sewers usually don't have the same lighting everywhere.

LAZ06 - couldn't find it

LAZ07

There's not much in it, I guess you didn't put things in it yet.

1. Way too much of that wooden texture

2. A texture bug

[spoiler][/spoiler]

3. Since it's the federal building, the sky should probably be CJSKY, the one used in episode 3

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I like the idea of having this fenced off (maybe put a phasing zorcher in there that can only be accessed from the outside) but it's kind of a roadblock to traffic going down that hallway. I would recommend moving the fenced in part back so it allows for traffic to move right and left

Oh, and LAZ, could you do the lighting/dynamic lighting/thing placement by yourself? I just don't have time for that sort of thing during the school year.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Added GL defs (dynamic lighting) to every weapon attack/explosion. The bulletpuffs now glow red instead of yellow, but they don't look as cool as the legacy ones. I'm going to look into coronas next.

I'm going to add a red dynamic light to the flemoids' death and pain states.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

QuadrumpusGuy

Is chefzilla going to stay?  :whale

oh, I almost forgot! I'll add him in now  :)

QuadrumpusGuy

Maybe add a skybox moon with a whaleware shaped crater.

Oh, did you try out the Villa Invasion map?

He's in  ;D

The moon is a very cool idea, anyone want to photoshop it for me? I'll do it myself if nobody volunteers, but it's more fun this way  :whale

Quote from: QuadrumpusGuy on September 24, 2010, 05:29:38 PM
Oh, did you try out the Villa Invasion map?

Not yet, sorry. Tonight probably.

QuadrumpusGuy

No problem. I may work on it a bit on Sunday for a while tonight, but tomorrow there is on exception. Well, maybe in the morning. But I need to do a few things with the map. I need to add more stuff to wave 10. more flying enemies and such. Maybe we should add some TNCQ G2 enemies.

LAZ Trooper

Quote from: 75 on September 24, 2010, 01:41:31 AM
I just played through a bit of LAZ08, not bad.

1. Ammo placement needs some work. I'm always running out. It's better to have 10 small ammo spawners that respawn quickly instead of having only one large zorcher crate. I reccomend having spawners for both large packs and small ammo pieces, that way, the people who race in and take everything won't cause everyone else to have no ammo.

2. I couldn't figure out how to get to the quadrumpus (plural) in wave 3 (it might have been wave 2). They were behind windows in a room high above the ground.

Also, slime balls shouldn't be able to go through glass, make the windows broken.

3. Use broken grates for grates the player is able to pass through.

4. In wave 2, the area that you warp to is a really awkward place to fight flemoids. It could use some work in appearance too, it's just a bunch of nondescript brown boxes. Can you make the layout better and make it a more interesting room?

So, fix those things and send it back. I like your map concept.
1. I just used the original ammo/health locations from the original level, since I'm not good at placing things.

2. Yes, the Quadrumpuses in wave 3 (or 2, whichever) you can't get to, and I didn't get to remove them. And, as I mentioned, the broken window texture isn't correct in some way.

3. I didn't see broken grate textures...

4. Yes, I just used the stock level and didn't really make many changes to the level design.

I'll see what I can do...

Quote from: 75 on September 24, 2010, 01:41:31 AMEDIT - ok, I played all of your maps

I never found a LAZ04 - was that the space station one? I can't find the link to it.
Yeah, that's the space station one, and after looking at my wads I posted I don't see it in one of the ones I posted... strange.

Quote from: 75 on September 24, 2010, 01:41:31 AMso I'll start with LAZ05

It's a pretty good map, but too cramped. Spread out the spawn locations. I don't recommend putting a random powerup right in the center, since most of the powerups are really strong.

1. the door textures you use have red lights on them, I'm using that to represent locked doors. I'll add the unlocked doors to the wad for the next beta

2. I saw a <!> flag in there, near that huge drop

3. watch your sector tags, there were a few things that shouldn't have been scrolling.

other than that, pretty good. Vary the lighting and add some dynamic lighting to make it look more atmospheric (like INV01). It doesn't have to be dark, but sewers usually don't have the same lighting everywhere.
Yeah, I'll replace the powerup spawner.

1. Well, since there wasn't one to use, I just used that, since my levels are not totally complete...

2. Turbo boots are supposed to go there.

3. Yeah, I saw the mistake scrolling place (after I posted it, of course) but there's also the problem of getting some of the water to scroll that I can't make work.

I'll try and work on lighting...

Quote from: 75 on September 24, 2010, 01:41:31 AMLAZ06 - couldn't find it
It should be in LAZlevels4.wad... (post #7 this thread)

Quote from: 75 on September 24, 2010, 01:41:31 AMLAZ07

There's not much in it, I guess you didn't put things in it yet.

1. Way too much of that wooden texture

2. A texture bug

[spoiler][/spoiler]

3. Since it's the federal building, the sky should probably be CJSKY, the one used in episode 3

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I like the idea of having this fenced off (maybe put a phasing zorcher in there that can only be accessed from the outside) but it's kind of a roadblock to traffic going down that hallway. I would recommend moving the fenced in part back so it allows for traffic to move right and left

Oh, and LAZ, could you do the lighting/dynamic lighting/thing placement by yourself? I just don't have time for that sort of thing during the school year.
Yeah, I didn't thing it, because as I said I'm not too good at it.

1. Well, I liked it...

2. What bug? The textures that need replacing? Which there are a few of that don't exist that I need for this...

3. I can't decide skies!

4. Yeah, I was thinking to use the fenced off areas as weapon spots. And yeah, I think I'll make the hallway more passable.

So I guess I'll make the textures I need, thing it, and send it back.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

QuadrumpusGuy

Added the wave before the boss. It's gonna be pretty tough!!

There are 2 dark halls in which Commoni, Bipedici, BWAs, Cyclopti, Stridici, and Maximi will come out of, and then two upper halls in which Super Cyclopti fly down from and Quadrumpi spawn and camp up there and slime you. After a while, the Praetor Cyaneus spawns.

Quote from: LAZ Trooper on September 24, 2010, 11:32:38 PM
1. I just used the original ammo/health locations from the original level, since I'm not good at placing things.

Keep trying, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

2. Yes, the Quadrumpuses in wave 3 (or 2, whichever) you can't get to, and I didn't get to remove them. And, as I mentioned, the broken window texture isn't correct in some way.

Oh, I see the problem. STEP3 is the broken window texture, but it's too short. I fixed it just now. Use STEP3 as the midtexture and don't worry if it looks weird, I'll fix it.

3. I didn't see broken grate textures...

you have to add your own, Arch129 has a very nice set of broken grate textures here

Yeah, that's the space station one, and after looking at my wads I posted I don't see it in one of the ones I posted... strange.

Could you re-post that one? I can't seem to find it on my computer  :(

1. Well, since there wasn't one to use, I just used that, since my levels are not totally complete...

http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=1575.0

I'm going to add the whole set, I need them anyway for INV01. Don't rename them, so it makes it easy for me to merge our wads.

3. Yeah, I saw the mistake scrolling place (after I posted it, of course) but there's also the problem of getting some of the water to scroll that I can't make work.

hmm... that's odd. Did you use a Scroll_Floor sector special or did you use a script?

It should be in LAZlevels4.wad... (post #7 this thread)

found it! Very nice.

2. What bug? The textures that need replacing? Which there are a few of that don't exist that I need for this...

The step textures are blue but the floor is red.

If you're looking for more textures, try using GIMP, it allows you to recolor textures so you can get the ones you need.

However, I'm pretty sure there's already a red stair texture in there, since I recolored most of the blue textures to make my CTF map

Are you sure it's not in there? :-\

3. I can't decide skies!

since it's the federal building, it should probably be the skies used in Episode 3. CJSKY3A/RJSKY3A should do the trick, unless you have something else in mind.

LAZ Trooper

Quote from: 75 on September 25, 2010, 06:04:39 PM

Could you re-post that one? I can't seem to find it on my computer  :(
Yep, attached to this post (I hope).

hmm... that's odd. Did you use a Scroll_Floor sector special or did you use a script?
Script. I'm going to hack into it a little tonight.

The step textures are blue but the floor is red.

If you're looking for more textures, try using GIMP, it allows you to recolor textures so you can get the ones you need.

However, I'm pretty sure there's already a red stair texture in there, since I recolored most of the blue textures to make my CTF map

Are you sure it's not in there? :-\
Yeah, it's in there, with most of the other textures I needed, except one of Arch's fence textures that I just stuck in the wad with it. Although, if you could do something about the wood texture with the red base/top part, because a 1-pixel strip is left blue and wasn't changed to red and it looks wrong.

And, after about 4 hours of work on it, LAZ07 is done, all lighted, decorated, and thinged. Attached as well.

EDIT: Arg, the attacher is acting up on me... I'll get them posted soon.

Okay, I've got them uploaded. LAZ04 - Spaceship, LAZ07 - CTF

Current Projects:
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

that looks great laz! But it'll be a really short ctf match, since the red flag is about 50 feet from the blue flag. I'll see if I can come up with something cool, maybe stretch it out lengthwise and add more hallways/architecture.

in the meantime, upload some screenshots of it, it looks great!

If you want to mess with it, we can both try. Maybe have the main path be blocked by windows?

@QG - still didn't try out your Invasion map... I've been moving furniture and cleaning literally all day ><

LAZ Trooper

Yeah, that is a little easy to just run right through... unless you've got a couple guys with really powerful zorchers guarding carefully... I might tinker with a few things tomorrow to try and make it a little harder... btw, did you try out the sniper spots in the vents? A little hard to hit people (I like to snipe with the railzorcher), but it's fun.

I also started a single flag CTF map, which could be modified to be regular CTF if needed. It will be totally pointless to play with bots because they'll just jump off into the slime... :facepalm

I've done some adjustments to the sewer zorchmatch (LAZ05) and added another room and started some lighting, but I think I'll wait for the next release to get more lighting done. I also did get my scripted scroll to work, though. Doom Builder's script editor was telling me the parameters were different than they were (it had the scroll speed numbers in the wrong places)

Current Projects:

ChexCommander

[quote  author=QuadrumpusGuy][/quote]

O_O

WHAT EPIC IS THIS

No, seriously, that looks amazing! I've always wanted a map like that!

Seriously, when you guys are somewhat "done," this should totally go on the Skulltag site.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods