Main Menu

Progress

Started by 75, September 17, 2010, 04:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I converted DUEL03 to UDMF and fixed some things (raised the sky, changed the player starts, and got rid of those MARBLE textures that I think were stolen - where did you get those from QG?)

Here's a screenshot of it working.

So far, I haven't changed the terrain, although I will. The last one's terrain looked really weird.

Although I like the Blast Corps music in there, I'd like to replace it with something of my own, if I can. I really want to avoid stealing music in this mod.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

LAZ Trooper

Okay, I think I'm done with DUEL01. The new parts could still use your touch, of course, but it is now twice as big as before.

(known bugs: "3D Middle Texture" flag isn't working, and getting the freezing zorcher is supposed to teleport you to back inside the level, but it doesn't work)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

This is cool laz, I like what you did with it

A few deathtraps:

Those curved hallways are way too thin, with people shooting grenades at you, there's nowhere you can go if you're trying to get out of the hallway.

The elevators. Always try to go with stairs, even if they move lightning fast. They become obstacles when you're trying to chase somebody, use them sparingly.

The thin thing bridges over insta-kill slime. Most of the time, when you're attacked, you have to strafe to get out of the way. If somebody comes at you from the front on those things, you'll have a choice between getting zorched or getting slimed. You really don't want to go overboard on the fragile, thin architecture. Save that for a secret area, not a main area.

A lot of your cooridors are too thin in general, I don't recommend making hallways less than 128 wide in a multiplayer game, when people get jammed up before a small hallway, it results in collateral zorch when somebody brings explosive weapons.

Here's some screenshots:

the picture above might be considered a secret area, but I'd like to see this expanded, it could be a neat place to fight. Remember, though. Grenades DO NOT work on thing bridges, they go right through, so you might want to maybe only make it a thing bridge connecting to a real floor

These hallways would be nearly suicide to go through, but the architecture is well done :)

The same shape only bigger should make it very nice to play in

This elevator should really be a set of stairs, also, it's a really tight little space fora staircase or elevator, you should double its size, at least. Also, this room has quite a few floor lamps, which are really easy to run into.

The really important thing about multiplayer in doom is not stumbling over things on the ground, a lot of the time you're running backward, sideways, in any direction to avoid fire, if you get stuck on a lamp in a tense firefight, you're going to lose, fast.

That door's really thin, and a little ugly looking with how those lights are just stuck on the wall like that, maybe have them recess into the wall a bit?

I'm glad you're mapping again, I'd like to see what else you come up with, the ideas behind this are really good, it's just too cramped.  :)
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

MajorSlime

I might actually have an original graphic for the NUZE done soon... And of course, make it less complicated.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Quote from: ChexMaster2109 on March 09, 2011, 01:04:32 AM
I might actually have an original graphic for the NUZE done soon... And of course, make it less complicated.

Okay, I'll take a look when it's done

One more thing I forgot-

@Laz - use the new Doombuilder Config, the linedef checkbox you're looking for is called "Walkable mid texture"

LAZ Trooper

Okay, I did some remodeling on DUEL01, so it should have everything you said should be changed now.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Something more like this is what needs to be done for the layout

It's a major part of the map, you can't access it with thing bridges and tiny hallways.

Also, you should put that caution tape on a separate linedef, so it doesn't mess up the lower texture's alignment.

And this map really needs more exterior detail in that first screenshot, having one flat strip of wall for the border of the building looks pretty odd. I'd recommend putting some sort of balcony, maybe? Instead of just having square doors and windows cut into the walls.

Another thing: you overused Exitston in the interior way too much.

It was a neat idea to use SLADHULL as a light texture in the interior, but it doesn't make sense for lights to cover the entire ceiling of that little computer alcove thing.

This computer area looks cool, but there's a lot to get stuck on (highlighted with light blue boxes)

You shouldn't use NICEFLAT instead of NICEWALL in those stair areas, it's not meant to be used like that, and it looks bland. When I enlarged the stairs, I used NICEWALL instead and it looks a lot better, you have to align it by hand, but it's worth it.

I'm working on an urban map, so far, I've made a gas station

What will soon be the little area where you will pay for gas/snacks (under construction). I might use that candy thing from the theatre

The exterior

The garage (WIP, needs more detail)

The garage doors raise and lower, and you can see through them. I timed the script so it sets blocking at just the right minute, so you can't shoot through it when it's closed, but you can shoot with it while it's closing.

You'll see what I mean  :)

The gas station and garage interior is still a little underdetailed, I'm working on it

A very nice toolbox made by The_Funktasm on the zdoom forums. Thanks again!

Worked on some sketches, and I worked on that map a bit more. I'm making shelves for the grocery store and the snack counter

Kind of a crude cash register. I think I could do better with those shelves.

Sketches (blurry and overly bright, because my scanner isn't great)

part of the rail zorcher

Possibly a rapid lightning zorcher

Rift Inducer, it would be another form of the LAZ

I started working on the movie theater two days ago, and I'm half done with a custom floor texture (yellow marble tiles)

This is going to be a really cool movie theatre.

I haven't done anything since Monday since my school decided to give me a lot of junk to do over the past few days  :facepalm

Datra

Oh yeah.
I need to get the new version and check out the new maps. Im excited. :)
CQHD Community Dev