Author Topic: News  (Read 2551 times)

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
News
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:25:37 PM »
Well, on a whim, I decided to mess with the portal code today, and I got it to work with momentum! Vertical momentum is not in yet, but I know exactly how to for when I get around to it. I'm going to use Replica's idea for the portal script (which he sent to me via PM a while ago) and use map spots and actorsetposition. Also, Replica, if your reading this, I figured out why your script doesn't work (I actually thought of this just seconds ago!  XD), when using actorsetposition and getactorz or x or y and etc., you have to multiply the amount of pixels (grid units) by some number in the ten or hundred thousands (its on the wiki). The portals will no longer be flat on a wall, but rather things with no gravity, so yes, you can place them on floors and ceilings. This will be similar to zportal, but not exactly (not by a long shot, if I have anything to say about it). I am going to have to redo all the levels because of this (not from scratch, of course, but they will get heavy makeovers and hopefully be funner to play, so the next time you do, this will feel like a whole new mod). Anyways, I won't release a next beta for a while though, because i'm going to wait until I have learned enough C++ to make a good engine for Reflections. I am hoping to make this a really in-depth story game, with good gameplay.

So, any comments?
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Chex Quest Fan Forums

News
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:25:37 PM »

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 17
    • Chex Quest Replica!
Re: News
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 08:32:58 PM »
That solution is for fixed points. It isn't used for getactorposition. :(
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 10:07:44 PM »
i thought it used getactorposition when checking to see if you were near a map spot? I'm pretty sure it did...

anyways, I got a problem, my Red and Blue PortalSpots aren't spawning. I can spawn them using the console, but they won't spawn via script or linedef. Help, please?

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:45:44 PM »
Sounds good CM, I hope the engine works out for you. If you need help with C++, definitely ask on www.stackoverflow.com, there's lots of good programmers there and they are really nice.

You might want to go to the library and get a good C++ book. There's a topic on Stack Overflow about it http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

I'd start with the beginner books, especially if you've never programmed before.

don't worry if the one in the library is one edition before the one they specify on amazon.com; C++ rarely changes, and for basic C++, the changes aren't drastic enough to make a difference. For now, if it's newer than 2000, you're ok.

Whatever you do, don't rush out and buy/order a book. Go to your public or local college campus library first. If you can't find any programming books, go to a bookstore and flip through them for a while, make sure you can understand the book easily.

A note about the book "The C++ Programming Language":
For Stroustrup: [first on the list, The C++ Programming Language] there are several editions; the link you give is to the "best" one (the "special edition" which goes into a lot of depth about STL and generic programming) but maybe you should point this out explicitly. The other editions are less useful

USUALLY editions don't make a difference. Sometimes it does.

Also, if you need help on C++, feel free to ask me, too. I'm learning it too, although I'm not as good as the people on SO.

That's awesome you worked in momentum, how'd you do that?

As for your portalspots, I've heard of that problem before. I'm going to need to see a wad to fix it, though. Without looking at it I can't say for sure what's causing the problem, it could be a number of things.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:55:52 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 11:50:52 PM »
k...
in a little bit

I actually, just made it so you setposition to the spot, instead of teleporting, so your momentum's not stopped. I actually haven't tested it yet, but if it doesn't work, I know how to make it work.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 11:57:45 PM »
ah, good idea with setposition. It seems like it should work to me, although I've never used it myself.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting