Upgraded Ultra rapid zorcher (minigun + shotgun)

Started by 75, October 18, 2010, 01:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which form of ammo handling on the minigun would you prefer?

Uses shells, but switches out when you run out of either type of ammo.
4 (40%)
Uses no shells, but fires large zorcher shots that expend 10 mini zorch shots
5 (50%)
Fires a large zorcher shot
1 (10%)
Fires a super large zorcher shot!
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

the minigun will now have a large zorcher shot alt fire, now those prongs on the end will be used for something!

Primary fire : Very rapidly fires mini zorch shots
Alt fire: Fires a large zorcher shot

However, skulltag does not fully support having two different ammo types. I have two choices here.

If I have it use large zorcher "shells" and mini zorcher shots, it will switch out when either runs out of ammo. You can still switch back to it, if you have "allow selection of weapons with no ammo" enabled, but there will be a little gap when you switch.

But, since the large zorcher shot is identical to a real large zorcher, there's not much harm done. You'd probably end up switching to the super large zorcher, which would actually be better than using the ultra rapid zorcher's alt fire.

The other way to do it is to have it not use large zorcher shells, but instead, have it use 10 mini zorch shots every time you use alt fire. But... I don't like this idea as much, for one thing, it doesn't make as much sense, and also, it eats up more of your mini zorcher shots.

I'm probably going to go with the first option (if it works out ok online), but if you have an opinion on the matter, I'd like to hear it.

Maybe I should make it a super large zorcher instead, that would be cool. How many people can say they fired a super shotgun/minigun combo?
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

noob1234

Quote from: noob1234 on October 18, 2010, 01:19:16 AM
first option, definitely.

first option being the first option in the poll, or the first option in the question?

I fixed the poll order.

Which option did you mean, noob?
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

MajorSlime

Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

ChexCommander

I actually kinda prefer just using up 10 shots just to be efficient, but having two ammo types would be cool. I just don't want to run out of large zorcher shots in the heat of battle and lose my minigun fire. :-\
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

It's highly unlikely you'll run out of shells... I'm more worried you'll run out of minigun shots and lose the shotgun.

It takes a loooooooooooooooooong time to blow through 50 shells (hold down the fire button on the LZ and see for yourself), but it only takes about 10 seconds to burn through 200 mini zorcher shots.  The large zorcher alt fire isn't fully automatic, it's just as slow as the real large zorcher

I think I'll try the double ammo version out in game, and if it turns out to be a bear, I'll switch it to the single ammo version. I really like the idea of double ammo because it makes it really easy to fight hordes of flemoids without having to run after mini zorcher shots all the time.

You can coast on shells for a really long time, too, so it's really quite convenient. It's almost like you can have the ammo flexibility of the super shotgun, while still having the option to flip on full auto and defeat some really tough maximus or something.

What do you think of it firing a super large vs. large zorcher shot?

MajorSlime

Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

noob1234

Atariangamer

I like the 10minigunammo option...seems to make more sense, and wouldn't require so complicated of a system to keep track of it <_>;

Unless you're thinking of removing the shotgun completely, the same ammo for each weapon should be fine.

(hate to bring up TF2...) but the flamethrower uses the same ammo for the fire, and the altfire of compression blast...and it works fine.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

Yeah, actually, I would rather just have it use 10 ammo, makes it easier to keep track of stuff.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

noob1234

Quote from: ChexCommander on October 31, 2010, 02:18:43 PM
Yeah, actually, I would rather just have it use 10 ammo, makes it easier to keep track of stuff.
tru... i guess its better

QuadrumpusGuy

Increase the Max Minigun Ammo though to 800-1600 with backpack.

I think I'll try the double ammo version out in game, and if it turns out to be a bear, I'll switch it to the single ammo version. I really like the idea of double ammo because it makes it really easy to fight hordes of flemoids without having to run after mini zorcher shots all the time.

You can coast on shells for a really long time, too, so it's really quite convenient. It's almost like you can have the ammo flexibility of the super shotgun, while still having the option to flip on full auto and defeat some really tough maximus or something.

The next release will use double ammo, if it turns out to be a problem, I'll change it to 10 MZ shots per large zorch shot.

In my offline tests, double ammo was the best way to go (especially in invasion), but I didn't do much in deathmatch, obviously.

I had another idea for this

Maybe alt fire shoots a burst of shots straight forward (no spread), using 10 minizorch ammo

now that the max ammo limit is 1000, there's a lot more flexibility  :whale

noob1234