Author Topic: I was thinking of a crazy idea. :P  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Danfun64

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
I was thinking of a crazy idea. :P
« on: October 19, 2010, 06:49:47 PM »
As you all know, chex quest is based off doom. Obviously doom is was more scary/evil then chex quest. Some say the PSX port made doom twice as scary. I just came up with an idea. What if chex quest was scary? Sure it will still be kid friendly, so no pentagrams or anything like that, but the levels will be harder, there will be traps, the storyline will be more darker, and overall it would make it seem slightly more plausible, yet still silly in a way. In psx doom, the levels wern't as bright and colored, ambient lighting sorta led the way. It also had scarier sound effects and music compared to the original doom. Those elements would be present in this darker chex mod.

In the original, the Flemoids were brainless,*apparently evil* gobs of slime that only want nutritional foods. They came to bazoik (i hope i spelled that right lol) for... no apparent reason. Because of the workers in bazoik mining out fruits and vegetables were captured by the flemoids, Fred Chexter was sent to fight them. Why the flemoids found Chexter a threat, nobody knows. Conventional weapons did nothing to the flemoids, so Chexter was told to recalibrate his zorchers to be able to send the flemoids back to their own dimension.
Sounds pretty silly huh?
In the scary version, the flemoids were native to the dimension of the cereal people and had a galactic empire that tortured, and sometimes ate, the groups of cereal people which were the planets' natives. They were very smart, and their hatred for cereal caused fear throughout the galaxy. They hailed from an unknown planet that was covered entirely in slime. Legend says that the flemoids were getting overcrowded in their native planet.They quickly tried to find a way to leave the planet and get to other worlds, looking for a new home. After they successfully get out of their crowed planet, they found the cereal natives of the various planets weak and defeated them instantly. This called for the creation of the intergalactic federation of cereals, formed from the remaining free planets.At first, nobody knew how to defeat the flemoids, since they couldn't be defeated by conventional weapons. Eventually the group found out that if they modified their weapons to send the flemoids to a parallel dimension that was said to be unescapable.  That would make up the first part of "scarychex", in the second part, after the final boss of the first part is defeated, it is revealed that the flemoids were able to escape, and their numbers were larger then ever. The flemoids take over the home planet of the IFC and attempt to claim victory over the cereal people once and for all, except Fred Chexter was still alive... The flemoids try to take down the one man army, and of course, fail. Halfway through the second part it is revealed that there is one flemoid in a hidden planet that controlls all of the other flemoids. The mastermind of the plots against the cereals, it is also aging and almost ready to give out a new special flemoid to replace it, which will come out of its head. This means that this is the most volnerable stage of the masterminds life, and Chexter goes immediately to to fight this last flemoid. As soom is it was destroyed, all of the other flemoids disappear, and you are proclaimed a hero to all of the cereals of the galaxy. That would make up the second part.

Big project eh? This is just an idea, but if it gets done, it would put a whole new face to chex quest. If i go ahead and make this mod, I intend to use this mod on tncq2g2iwad.

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 18
    • Chex Quest Replica!
Re: I was thinking of a crazy idea. :P
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 08:02:31 PM »
It is certainly interesting. It seems a little too dark, but I guess I cannot tell until production is well on its way.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Offline Danfun64

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 08:21:12 PM »
like psx doom was for pc doom, the scarychex mod for chex would use pretty much the same textures for several of its levels. There will occasionally be different graphics. The levels will be based on the original levels, but different in their own way. The original chex quest levels will all take place on bazoik, rather then 3 different areas per episode. So far, there are 15 levels in the chex quest trilogy, that would make up the "ultimate doom"/first portion of the game, except for maybe a few original levels. For the "doom 2"/second portion, I would either create all brand new levels or ask for permission to modify the sliminators tncq2:g2 levels.  The game would still be simplistic in gameplay mechanics like doom/chex quest, but a skippable intro detailing the background information i supplied, along with text cutscenes. The sound effects and music will be, for the most part, completely brand new to fit the more serious theme. I'll try to not make it too dark because i still want it to be kid friendly, but there will be no blood/gore or satanic symolism or anything like that. Actually, i'm not sure weather i should use chex3.wad as the iwad for the project or tncq2g2iwad . It's still an idea, but like a freshly planted plant, it might blossom.

Offline TrueDude

• Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:33:33 PM »
How about you modify PSX Doom for Chex Quest compatibility?

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 38
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:09:37 PM »
Sounds actually like a cool idea!
but, i think it should be a little more different from the original/TNCQG2

Offline Danfun64

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 03:00:38 PM »
How about you modify PSX Doom for Chex Quest compatibility?

actually, if i do go along with this project porting it to psx doom would be one of the last of the steps. I don't expect it to happen though :P

Sounds actually like a cool idea!
but, i think it should be a little more different from the original/TNCQG2

Huh? The sounds will be different,and so will the music. Existing Levels that are staying will be darker and more mysterious, while some new levels replace others. There might be some new flemoids in the pack. The story is different a little. Aside from changing the graphics, what more can be changed?

edit: i still need advice on a starting point. This is most likely going to be a gzdoom mod. I don't know which iwad to use. The obvious choices are chex.wad, doom2.wad (tncq2g2iwad) and chex3.wad The existing levels will likely come from cq1,cq2,cq3(official but forces me to use chex3.wad),tncqg2(if permission is granted),cq:jol(maybe, use instead of cq3 official, might need permission?). There will probably be some new levels here and there though. I also have to deal with weither i should use doom format, hexen format, or udmf format for the levels... With the exeption of cq3, all of the levels in the wads mentioned use doom format. Chex quest 3 uses hexen format. UDMF format would allow the most features...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:21:07 PM by Danfun64 »

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 38
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »
I meant new levels should be made, but sounds like u are going to...
also, i meant the flemoids should be a little scarier looking.
if you don't want to resprite everything, Arch's The Lost Quest mod has darker green flemoids ("flemegaoids") which would make them a little scarier looking.
oh, and it also has different sounds for them.

Offline Danfun64

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 08:14:18 PM »
I meant new levels should be made, but sounds like u are going to...
also, i meant the flemoids should be a little scarier looking.
if you don't want to resprite everything, Arch's The Lost Quest mod has darker green flemoids ("flemegaoids") which would make them a little scarier looking.
oh, and it also has different sounds for them.

for the most part, new levels won't be made. Most of the levels will be based on pre-existing levels, (i am a total newb to modding and such. This can hopefully be justified by psx doom having modified doom levels) New levels would most likely be put either to fill gaps or just for secrets. PSX doom has about 50 something levels (ultimate doom and doom II combined), so i want the first 24 or so levels to be based off of bazoik, half of the second part to be in the planet where ifc headcourters is located, and the last part of the second half will be in the hidden flemoids home-planet. The final boss would probably be the icon of slime (tncqg2iwad map30) map01 will be E1M1 of chex quest 1, while map25 (where the second-half levels start) will be the e1m1 from chex quest 2.

Ya, the flemoids don't look too scary. There will probably be some new flemoids in this mod if i start making it:

Armed flemoid: a flemoid holding a zorcher. This enemy will start to appear in later levels of the mod. Considering that Fred Chexter is using a zorcher to send the flemoids to the parallel dimension, the flemoids thought it would only be fair to have flemoids try to zorch Chexter into that same dimension. This means that chexter will have two separate death animations. One when slimed by most flemoid types, and one where he is zorched by this type.

Armed and armored flemoid commander: not only are flemoids smart in this mod, but they also have warriors who seen battle more then the rest, and are often put into high positions like this one. This flemoid type is tough to defeat, because of his experience and his rapid zorcher.

...and that's all i can think of atm. Right now, the first steps are picking an iwad, and getting original sounds and music.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 09:04:01 PM »
you can use my flaz and zorch pain and death states from my skulltag pack if you like
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline Danfun64

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 05:12:33 PM »
for the most part, new levels won't be made...

On second thought, i think new levels SHOULD be made. The levels should definitely be harder then chex quest, but not too hard that it would be impossible for younger people to play (if they know about this place LOL) Another reason that different levels would be good would be because of the themes. I doubt many people in this forums made 24 original levels that all take place on Bazoik.

I still don't want to start until i picked an IWAD. I need advice on what iwad is the best for this job.

you can use my flaz and zorch pain and death states from my skulltag pack if you like
Thank you! I'll insert that once I find out how to differenciate deaths by enemy with acs...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:11:03 PM by Danfun64 »

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 01:49:42 AM »
Actually, you use decorate. Look it up.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 11:00:38 AM »
Use chex3.wad as your IWAD. TNCQ G2 is missing a lot of textures, sprites, and code.

You can get the different pain and death state sprites to work using damagetypes. You will then have to choose which damagetype you want to be the default damagetype. You might want to pick flem, since environmental damage is usually associated with the default damagetype.

ALSO - use UDMF format! It is much easier to use! I wish I started out with it.

NOTE: These two methods are not compatible, do not do both, pick one!

If you want to use Flem as the default damagetype (this will work great as long as you do not have multiplayer):

(then again, gzdoom is slowly becoming incompatible with skulltag, so you probably won't be able to do multiplayer anyway unless you change a lot of things in your mod)

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

For example, if you were making a hitscan attack (such a flemoid firing a large zorcher, or mini zorcher), you would use A_FireBullets and make a new bulletpuff called "zorchpuff", and give that puff a damagetype of "zorch"

If you were making a projectile attack, (such as from a flemoid firing a propulsor or phasing zorcher) you would use A_CustomMissile and give the projectile a "zorch" damagetype. DO NOT USE THE STANDARD PROPULSOR MISSILE. It will result in  chexter getting slimed, since it has no damagetype.

Do the same with the flaz damagetype. You've seen my flaz ball sprites, right? You can use them as well.

and... that's it. Use A_SetBlend to make the screen flash red when chexter gets hit, and it will look very realistic.

If you want to make it so that you can shoot other players with your minizorcher and get them to enter the zorch pain and death states.... (i.e., in a zorchmatch setting), that's a lot more complicated.
[/spoiler]

If you want to use "zorch" as the default damagetype (this is easier for making deathmatch maps, but it is buggier)

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting