Author Topic: DSSGCOCK with multiple replacements  (Read 5538 times)

Offline CHEX_MAN

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
DSSGCOCK with multiple replacements
« on: November 22, 2010, 09:24:59 PM »
I'm making a set of Chex Quest levels that I may or may not release.  It's really long, because it is 5 episodes of 11 levels.  I kept some levels the same, including the five levels in Chex Quest and moved Caverns of Bazoik to level 10 (boss).  The new E1M5 is the worst level, in my opinion.
I got a computer voice recorder for LH Michael, LH Michelle, and Microsoft Sam.  Each level's name was put into a computer person's voice and saved as E1M1.wav for Landing Zone, E1M10.wav for Caverns of Bazoik, etc.  I think that it would be cool to make each level be announced with Microsoft Sam or someone after each level.  Now that I think about it, I don't know how Landing Zone would be announced.  So, is there any way to replace DSSGCOCK with more than one .wav file?  This would be such as DSSGCO01 or DSSGCO55.  If so, I just checked, and this wad will be huge.  All 55 wav files add up to 12.8 Megabytes.  That would double the size!

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
Re: DSSGCOCK with multiple replacements
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 10:10:04 PM »
Don't mess with changing that sound, just use ACS (I'm assuming you're using GzDoom, Zdoom, or Skulltag)

You'd use something like this

#include "zcommon.acs"

SCRIPT 1 OPEN
{
Ambientsound(category/sound, 75);
}

The script as its written will not do anything. Replace category/sound with your own definition of the sound lump in SNDINFO and replace 75 with the volume.

So basically, define each one of your level start sounds in SNDINFO (you can use any lump name or category/sound name) and add this script to every map in your wad, with the appropriate sound string.

NOTE: Sound file lumps don't necessarily have to start with "DS"

E.g, in SNDINFO

Code: [Select]
LEVEL1 levelsounds/level1
Then, in ACS
Script 1 OPEN
{
Ambientsound(levelsounds/level1, 75);
}
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:13:08 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline CHEX_MAN

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 10:30:51 PM »
Is ACS a lump like SNDINFO?  I know how to get up a SNDINFO lump since I have used one before, but I have never used an ACS.  I am using GzDoom, but in Doom Builder, I am using Ultimate Doom configuration.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 11:24:33 PM »
Hit the script editor button in Doombuilder to bring up the script editor, it's shaped sort of like a piece of scroll paper, it's white.

ACS stands for Action Code Script, and it's the language you use to define the behavior of the map.

I'm sure you're familiar with linedef actions, well, with them you can run over a line and have an elevator move down. With ACS, when a player crosses a line, you can have it do several things.

There's tons you can do with ACS, have a look http://zdoom.org/wiki/ACS

There's a few tutorials on the wiki that I would recommend trying  ;)
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Offline CHEX_MAN

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 03:22:01 PM »
Luckily, I have doom builder 2.  I installed it onto a school computer after classwork, but I accidentally turned off the computer.  I got a compiler error and it was on the third line, which said line 2.  It said that something wasn't declared.  In XWE, I put in the SNDINFO lump what 75 wrote and then I wrote the sound name, SGCOCK01.  I put that sound into the wad.  I don't know how to fix this.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »
did you put #include "zcommon.acs" on the top line?

Offline CHEX_MAN

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 07:43:38 PM »
No.
Help!  Doom Builder 2 will not work on my home computer!  Does anyone have a solution?  I tried downloading the latest version of DB2 and it doesn't have the Ultimate Doom configuration.  The version that I previously saved was 2.0.1.1157 and the one that I just downloaded was 2.0.1.1356 so it was a bit different.

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 18
    • Chex Quest Replica!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »
The Ultimate Doom configuration should be right above ZDooms. Since you said you don't have it, I'm sure you could use the Doom configuration which shouldn't be different at all.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Offline CHEX_MAN

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 10:09:28 PM »
Well, I can't access my maps on Doom Builder 2 at all.  Just Doom Builder, which won't allow scripts with the current configuration.  It says D3DERR_INVALIDCALL: Invalid call (-2005530516) at the end of the error message.  After looking at the details, it says that there is a JIT (just in time) debugger problem.
The difference between Ultimate Doom and Doom configurations is that there is a few extra linedef actions in Ultimate Doom.  I've seen it in E1M1 for Doom in Doom Configuration, with the modified E1M1 and E1M8.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 01:17:35 AM »
I'm not sure what to tell you... try asking on the Doombuilder 2 forums

Offline CHEX_MAN

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 01:02:43 PM »
There's not much I can do now.  I registered for the forum, but I am at school again where Doom Builder 2 works.  I have a free hour since tomorrow is Thanksgiving and my professor didn't want to have class.  The same problem still exists after putting in line 1:  #include "zcommon.acs".  I have the exact problem here now.  It says Description levelsounds : Identifier has not been declared.  Then:  File E1M1.acs (line 3).  Does anyone have help for this one now?  By the time I get on next, I'll be home, so I should get onto the Doom Builder forums first.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 04:48:52 PM »
oh, I know why it won't compile... I'm sorry about that.

You're supposed to put the levelsounds/level1 in quotation marks.... so your code should be

Script 1 OPEN
{
Ambientsound("levelsounds/level1", 75);
}

Offline CHEX_MAN

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 09:20:24 PM »
I actually found a way to lower the size of the wav files.  Now the size together is 825 Kilobytes.  No reply to the other forum yet.  It seems to be unpopular.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 10:39:07 PM »
The doombuilder forums are very slow. There are very few frequent members, since most just go there when they have problems.

It doesn't help that CodeImp doesn't usually take suggestions...

Feature suggestions are rarely helpful.
Most feature suggestions I get are not worth the trouble and many are simply ridiculous, so they are getting annoying. If you think you have some great idea that you absolutely have to post here, then make sure you back it up with a very strong argument why it is useful to all map authors (not just you and your friend) and why it belongs in Doom Builder.

:-\

You really should follow the rules he posted here, by the way... http://www.doombuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3

He can be quite rude if you waste his time... please edit it with the information he wants. As it is right now, he might ignore it or flame you. You really have to be careful.

The zdoom forums and the doom builder forums don't have much tolerance for this sort of thing.

If he does flame you, DON'T RESPOND. If you get into an argument, he might ban you.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:41:28 PM by 75 »

Offline CHEX_MAN

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 10:33:04 AM »
Well, I have already read that link.  As to this point, I have a reply.  I wrote a long description of the error box.  The replier said that I should find the steps which lead up to the error.  I told him that I have tried variations on how to start the map.  He said to try 2.0.1.1356, but I did.  I have 2.0.1.1157 currently and I may already have said this.  So, now everything seems to be going well on the other forum.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting