H3lp, pr0x! (trouble running original Chex Quest .exe file)

Started by BrotherH, January 13, 2011, 02:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrotherH

Hi there.  I'm new here and this is my first post, so forgive me if this is a FAQ.

I succeeded in downloading the game, yet when I run the .exe file, I get this message:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check you computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

I am a total computer nub and I have no clue what this means.  Apparently, you guys are the software publishers, so I'm doing the right thing by asking you all for help (I guess).

Anyway, right now I'm using OpenGL to run my games but unfortunately it's not working.

Like I said, I'm a computer nub, so I'd really appreciate a step-by-step to get me though this!

Plus, I was quite excited to find this website...CQ was a big part of my childhood (yet it would always crash on the last level) and I am especially excited to see an official release of a CQ2 and CQ3!  Not to mention all the terrific mods I'll have fun exploring!

xbolt

You have a 64-bit version of Windows. The original Chex Quest .exe won't run unless you use DOSBox or something similar.

However, I recommend simply downloading Chex Quest 3, as that contains the first two games all ready to run on modern operating systems.

Quote from: BrotherH on January 13, 2011, 02:17:30 PM
Apparently, you guys are the software publishers, so I'm doing the right thing by asking you all for help (I guess).

Heh, no. We're not the publishers. We're just a group of loyal fans. ;)

ChexCommander

Quote from: xbolt on January 13, 2011, 03:23:25 PM
You have a 64-bit version of Windows. The original Chex Quest .exe won't run unless you use DOSBox or something similar.

However, I recommend simply downloading Chex Quest 3, as that contains the first two games all ready to run on modern operating systems.

Quote from: BrotherH on January 13, 2011, 02:17:30 PM
Apparently, you guys are the software publishers, so I'm doing the right thing by asking you all for help (I guess).

Heh, no. We're not the publishers. We're just a group of loyal fans. ;)

The most loyal fanbase you'll ever meet. Actually, one of the game developers, Charles Jacobi, has visited a few times and is the one who created Chex Quest 3! We've also heard from Andrew Benson (now Andrew Benon) who created the epic music for the game and the son of Lee Snyder, another developer.  This son also created the famed Chex Quest 4, not a true CQ but still fun nonetheless.

So I guess you could say we've been granted some great visits from the developers and we're pretty famous nonetheless. ;)
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

BrotherH

Thank you for all your help.  I think I'll just download CQ3. 

Hmm...I actually don't remember any music for the original CQ.  Is this added or was it always there?

LAZ Trooper

There was always music there. One question: where did you get the original you played when you were a kid? I don't remember the details, and don't have time to look it up, but wasn't there something about some certain version crashing at the 5th level? (I'm asking CC or someone)
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Atariangamer

Music was always there, however, playing it under Windows XP or almost anything else without proper setup would leave you with nothing but the PC Speaker sound effects, usually.

And the 5th level crashing was doable in several ways, I think. It was a massive level by DooM engine standards, even the version used by Chex Quest (TNT/Plutonia's code, btw). Anyway, there are a certian amount of visplanes (that is, different heights of floors and ceilings in the view area) allowed to be rendered at once. Any more, and the engine would overflow and crash. Usually happens comming out of one of the small rooms in the final boss area. Easily fixed by running it on a limit removing source port. ZDooM, which powers Chex Quest 3, is such a port.

In short, CQ3 is your best bet for compatibility and general lack of bugs. Several inconsitiencies within CQ1 and CQ2 were fixed, as well as a whole new set of levels (CQ3) being added.

Now, running it in DOSBox has its own issues. I think one map in the original game causes a massive slowdown in relation to the rendering of the level. two different areas in CQ2 give this effect. We somehow figured out that a simple mapping error was causing an unrendered Hall of Mirrors to be calculated but not displayed, creating massive slowdowns when played in an emulated computer environment.

Also, if you want it to look exactly like it does under DOS without most of the problems of doing DOSBox or acutally using an old computer, use Chocolate Doom (rather underused port of CQ). It provides perfect chex.exe compatibility within a Windows environment, so you get DOS DooM in Windows with no problems. I can get you more info on how to set that up if you'd like.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

BrotherH

Hey thanks  everyone!  I uploaded CQ3 since Docbox sounded too complicated.  Like I said, I'm not too computer savvy.

Anyway, thank you!
Quote from: LAZ Trooper on January 14, 2011, 01:33:59 AM
There was always music there. One question: where did you get the original you played when you were a kid? I don't remember the details, and don't have time to look it up, but wasn't there something about some certain version crashing at the 5th level? (I'm asking CC or someone)

Yep, I played it as a kid.  I do remember the game crashing only when I would explore the Flembrane area, and wander into one of the side tunnels.  I'm happy they fixed it.

So...., I managed to beat the trilogy!  On the second hardest difficulty (Gobs of Goo?).

CQ1 wasn't hard at all, CQ2 was medium, but CQ3...let me tell you, by the time I started the fourth level, I was down to my bootspoon and had about 20% health.  I pretty much had to dodge all the running flemoids which conveniently find their way in front of you.  Wow, that level was frustrating.  Not to mention, it was the first I'd seen of those puffballs that filled the screen.  That part was near impossible to pass, but I did it by opening and closing the door and using by bootspoon to get a jab in each time.  Almost died though.

By the time the final level rolled around, I was down to my bootspoon again, and had 3% health.  Second hardest difficulty, still.  I died many many times but eventually, when I got the bootspork, it was pretty much downhill.  Last boss wasn't too bad, though, since I had been saving my phaser ammo.  Took about 4 LAZ shots and a lot more.  But wow, what a way to spend 3 hours.

So....any recommended fan games?  I see there's a whole section on them....which are considered the best?

ChexCommander

Almost anything by The Slimeinator is epic work; I'd recommend Generation 2, TNCQ Generation 2, or The New Era.

Arch's The Lost Quest is also quite innovative.

If you're willing to use Legacy, Xbolt's Newmaps and The Ultimate Chex Quest can't be beat.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods