Guess What.

Started by Boingo the Clown, January 26, 2011, 07:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boingo the Clown

I am probably crazy for doing this, but I have decided to start working on T.U.C.Q. again.

Don't get all excited and expect a new update in the next week or month or anything.  It has been over two years since I've done any DooM editing of any sort, especially on T.U.C.Q., and I am VERY RUSTY.  I have forgotten many of my editing tricks, where all the proper directories are, and even many of the things I had planned.

To give you and idea of how much I have forgotten, I found an article on my hard drive detailing a number of interesting editing tricks.  I was thrilled.  I thought it would be great to try these tricks some time. I was wondering why I had never seen these tricks before.  Then I got a tremendous shock when I got half way through and realized I had written the article!

This past Sunday I spent my first time in over two years actually playing T.U.C.Q. P2B3 and I found myself repeatedly scratching my head and saying "I did that?!?". It was a real voyage of discovery I'll tell you.

Since I am going to relearning what I forgot, I am going to be going back to Legacy for now until I get used to editing again.  When I get more comfortable with editing again I may try to make the switch to GZDooM again.  Only time will tell.

So the project is indeed active again, but slowly active.  Hopefully I won't make you wait too long.

ChexCommander

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Boingo, you rock.

Also, that's great about the article; at least you archived your tricks! XD

May the greatest mod in CQ History continue its legacy!
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

Legacy...oh the irony.

But I've been hoping for this moment the instant I got on the CQFF, possibly sooner, back to when the only person I had ever talked to on the web was Xbolt, almost 4 years ago.

Boingo, you may be crazy, but you're darn good. Even if it takes half a year, I'd love to play anything you put out.

Not to mention, this latest roll of patches in Legacy 1.44a2 include chex.wad and newmaps mod compatibility, as well as high resolution and widescreen video modes via SDL, as well as better looking hardware 3d lighting. It also removes many of the bugs that old 1.42 had, and I'd love to see where this could go...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Boingo the Clown

Good.

I had better download Legacy 1.44a and check it out.

xbolt

Boingo...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I guess now would be a good time to show you guys what might be E1M6, if Boingo likes the finished product. I've been working on it for a little while. This is for GzDoom.

It's not done yet, but feel free to try my demo .pk3 (1 MB download). This level is not finished yet, it doesn't even have enemies, but it's cool to look at.

Make sure your GzDoom and Chex3.wad are up to date. The map above is called MAP01.

I also started on an improved version of E1M1 (also in the wad)

My wad does this:

1. allows you to dual wield weapons, pick up two minizorchers, propulsors, or bootsporks and you are dual wielding!

there are no minizorchers in the maps, so type "summon minizorcher" in the console to spawn one and pick it up. Or you could type "give all" and automatically get everything

2. Added Manny Cav's cqarena zorchers, the super large zorcher (super shotgun), the ultra rapid zorcher (minigun), and zorchlauncher (grenade launcher)

3. Added my zorch gloves

4. Added GLDEFS to every flemoid's pain and death states, and the player's zorch pain and death states, that's right, every time you shoot them they will emit red dynamic lighting and that frame will be BRIGHT.

5. Also added GLDEFS to every projectile, decoration, etc... except the chandelier.

6. Made some changes to flemoids, for example, the quadrumpus shoots four slime balls, and the larva have less health but move faster, etc... Give it a try, you'll find out.

Also, I have recently learned how I might be able to get legacy-esque Coronae in GzDoom.

I'm not sure if my weapon code will end up in TUCQ, but if he likes it, he's welcome to use it.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Replica

YES.

You rock Boingo!

@75, Although your stuff is neat, you probably shouldn't add anything (like the new weapons). You must remember that this is Boingo's project.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Quote from: Replica on January 30, 2011, 03:34:24 AM
@75, Although your stuff is neat, you probably shouldn't add anything (like the new weapons). You must remember that this is Boingo's project.

I'm glad you liked it  :)

Don't worry, I'm not trying to do it for him. I might use the stuff he doesn't want to use in a separate project. Like I said:

Quote from: 75 on January 26, 2011, 09:35:06 PM
I'm not sure if my weapon code will end up in TUCQ, but if he likes it, he's welcome to use it.

The weapons were more of a resource/experiment, he told me today he wanted to stick with the original weapons, I respect that. I really wanted a zorchers mod for chex quest, so I just put it in the same .pk3.

He's welcome to use anything he likes, as example code, in part, or in whole. I don't mind if he doesn't use it, either.

So far, he likes E1M6, I tried to follow his idea for the map closely, and it's turned out pretty nice.

I think he'll find a use for my GLDEFS, there's not much reason to start over on it, and they look great. it took hours to find the right actor names to assign those lights to, and set the right light sizes. 

Anyone who wants to use my GLDEFS code can as well, as long as you credit me.

The DECORATE code is also vital, it fixes some things that should've been implemented in Chex3.wad (such as making the zorch pain and death states fullbright). The enemy behavior changes could probably use some tweaking, but it's pretty simple (just change the health, remove a slime attack, lower/increase the monster's speed, etc.)

E1M1 is a work in progress. I'm mostly doing it for practice. My goal is to make it into a good map, meaning giving it a facelift without turning it into Knee Deep in GZ Chex.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

ChexCommander

75: Also remember that this is staying on Legacy for now. Obviously your hard work is worth something, but just saying that Boingo might want to keep things the way they are for now.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Yeah, I understand. This is for when (if?) he switches to GzDoom.

He said he was practicing on Legacy, but I'm not sure if that means he's going to do a lot of work in Legacy, or if he's just going to try a few things in Legacy and switch to GzDoom rather quickly.
I think he can learn GzDoom pretty quickly, when he's ready, not that he should start right now if he doesn't want to, of course.
I promise I don't mean to push him into anything. It's TUCQ, I just want to help out if I can.

Either way... he sounded sure to me that he'll switch to GzDoom (he said "I WILL learn DECORATE" in the chat, among other things), so I'm making maps for GzDoom, since Legacy has a lot less features, and I'm not familiar with Legacy at all, other than conversion to GzDoom.

If he's still using Legacy weeks or months from now, I'll reconsider what I'm doing, maybe I'll switch some of my maps to legacy. Don't worry about me though, I'll find a use for this stuff no matter what.

Replica

Quote from: 75 on January 30, 2011, 12:31:13 PM
Quote from: Replica on January 30, 2011, 03:34:24 AM

I'm glad you liked it  :)

Don't worry, I'm not trying to do it for him. I might use the stuff he doesn't want to use in a separate project. Like I said:

Quote from: 75 on January 26, 2011, 09:35:06 PM

That is what I get for skimming.  :facepalm

XD
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.