Old Sketches, New Sketches.

Started by Boingo the Clown, January 26, 2011, 10:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boingo the Clown

<Old Sketches>

I was cleaning my apartment on Monday and I came across an old sketch of a flemoid I called the super cycloptis at the time that was supposed to be a cacodemon replacement.  

(It is just a coincidence that Chukker thought of a cacodemon replacement with the same name.)

I thought  you might want to see this and the original drawing I did of the Super Cycloptis.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

There are supposed to be three arms on SC but I didn't draw the third one.

As you can see by the doodles on either side I was thinking of something a little more flying saucer like than what I ended up with in the main drawing.  In fact I was thinking of something more along the lines of this ship from an episode of Star Trek: http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/1/17/Lazarus%27_spaceship.jpg

What are your thoughts on this flemoid?  Any suggestions?

Anyway, here is the original sketch of Flemoidus Gyro:

Here is the photo series of a maquette (study model) I made out of plastercine that was very useful:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

In addition to finding the super cycloptis drawing, I also found the drawings I had made on animation paper that were used to make the test sprites of Flemoidus Gyro.  Some of them are in pretty bad shape.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Still, they should be useful for work on any new animation work I come up with to create sprites.  As long as the animation peg holes are still there and I can flatten the pages out with an iron they are still good.

</Old Sketches>

<New Sketches>

I was checking out the CQ wiki page for User-created Flemoids yesterday when I saw two flemoids based on my original concept of the Flemoidus Gyro and the Flem Balloon, functioning as lost soul and pain elemental replacements respectively.  Although I had spoken of the flem balloon often and freely, I had never come up with a sprite or drawing of it.  After all, how hard can it be to imagine a group of gyros riding in a balloon made of phlegm?

Anyway, after seeing the entry I decided to sketch it out pretty much as I had always imagined it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I also wanted to try another version of the Super Cycloptis

[spoiler][/spoiler]

This version doesn't look bad but I am not satisfied with it.  The "belt buckle" looking thing at the front is a hatch that opens to shot flem balls and is an enlarged version of the one on the original sketch.  The front central arm was removed.  I was influenced by that Star Trek ship to build a section on the back with tail fins as seen in the smaller drawing to the right.  The "shoulder" ring is bulky and kind of ruins the flying saucer look I was hoping for, and for some strange reason I just can not shake the feeling that it looks too much like the robots from The Black Hole.

What do you think?

</New Sketches> (for now)

Possible future sketches:  Flemoidus Dervishus (a spinning flemoid that replaces the DooM II chaingunner), my version of the Flembrane as a worthy final ep1 boss, and Doctor Julius Flemming, the main villain  of T.U.C.Q..

arch129

Quote from: Boingo the Clown on January 26, 2011, 10:37:45 PM
I also wanted to try another version of the Super Cycloptis

[spoiler][/spoiler]

This version doesn't look bad but I am not satisfied with it.  The "belt buckle" looking thing at the front is a hatch that opens to shot flem balls and is an enlarged version of the one on the original sketch.  The front central arm was removed.  I was influenced by that Star Trek ship to build a section on the back with tail fins as seen in the smaller drawing to the right.  The "shoulder" ring is bulky and kind of ruins the flying saucer look I was hoping for, and for some strange reason I just can not shake the feeling that it looks too much like the robots from The Black Hole.

That new Super Cycloptis of yours is super spiffy!  :whale

The back wing looks nice, but I think I shouldn't stick out to much, from what I see it looks like it a bit longer than it is wide and Doom I pretty sure can't have rectangular 'things'. 

The hatch looks nice, but I curious how your planning on animating it when it attacks.  I think having the hatch open up like window blinds would nice and it would not require a lot of frames.

Atariangamer

The gyro and flem balloon look cool, and I kinda like your super cycloptis, but the first version better (IMHO). However, as far as functionality goes, the MK.II is probably the best design.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

LAZ Trooper

I really like the Flem Balloon. It's both logical and cartoon-y. It gets a  :whale
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Datra

These look absolutely Brilliant! Especially the Flem Balloon!
CQHD Community Dev

ChexCommander

I really like the Mk. II! The whole hatch idea is quite spiffy, to paraphrase from Arch.

I'm interested in those models you actually created; that's neat that you could actually sculpt your idea!  And, of course, the Flem Balloon is very nice.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

xbolt

Super snazzy stuff right there.

I like your Gyro model.

matthias720

:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

Boingo the Clown

Quote from: ChexCommander on January 27, 2011, 05:49:58 PM
I'm interested in those models you actually created; that's neat that you could actually sculpt your idea!  And, of course, the Flem Balloon is very nice.

The Gyro model recently (just a few months ago) went to the great dust bin in the sky, or, more likely, the Storington landfill.  After a few years sitting on my entertainment unit the plasticine dried out, the head fell off, parts got squished, and the whole thing got covered in fuzz.  It wasn't a pretty sight.

It still lives on in those photos ...

LAZ Trooper

Quote from: Boingo the Clown on January 27, 2011, 10:14:37 PM
Quote from: ChexCommander on January 27, 2011, 05:49:58 PM

The Gyro model recently (just a few months ago) went to the great dust bin in the sky, or, more likely, the Storington landfill.  After a few years sitting on my entertainment unit the plasticine dried out, the head fell off, parts got squished, and the whole thing got covered in fuzz.  It wasn't a pretty sight.

It still lives on in those photos ...

Model of flemoid = awesome, even if it is departed. Didn't id do that when making doom?

Current Projects:
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Atariangamer

@laz: yeah, they made a few models, took rotation pictures, and used...monster fuzz program (I think that's what they called it XD), and put em in game.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

LAZ Trooper

These possibilities of new flemoids is making me want to make another mod with a whole ton of lots of different flemoids in Slimeinator-level difficulty... but I already have a few mods going that aren't anywhere near completion... Although this one might not be too hard.

Current Projects:

noob1234

I don't think the shoulder ring ruins it, but I do agree that the tailfins are too big. otherwise, it's good!

Boingo the Clown

Something I sketched yesterday.

darkstone

I like it. I like a new Flemoid, and I think it would be formidible - could also be done throwing slimeballs out in a difficult to avoid X pattern using DECORATE (that would be a challenge) but I see it's for the chaingunner.

It reminds me of something... something... hm.