some mp3 chex quest music

Started by Lucius, April 12, 2008, 12:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucius

I have been inspired by atariangamer to do this, and I have found a way I can do this. Results are pretty good. I did this using a midi disassembly software and a roland keyboard and goldwave. So far I've only done endlevel but there's more to come. Hope you like it:

http://media.putfile.com/Chex-Quest-ENDLEVEL-mp3

Manny Cav

Pretty good. Smooth flow, not deviating too much from the original MIDI, and not quite as extravagant or remixed as atariangamer's MIDIs (personally, I think the whole point of doing a MP3, WMA, or whatever rendition is remixed the original MIDI in some way). Still, nice work!
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Sweet! I actually was thinking about doing this with my new keyboard...but I has the wrong cords for recording.
I seriously think that these are much better sounding than mine (this being from a keyboard with good samples, mine from direct oscilation) and if anyone was to make a patch of CQ mp3 music, this method is much better. I could record a video and post on youtube, but that would take too long and would be bad quality...O well.

I request one of the remixes...preferably Strife or Tilple. Wayc's were just instrumental overhauls, but I'm not bashing them, they are pretty good.

Oh, all of my mp3s are on my webpage. Actually, now I want to make a remix! NEone got a good MIDI? (I finally figured out how to get the drums out better...)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

I actually like your remixes more, atariangamer (not to bash Lucius or his good work). They sound different and just have a good feel to them.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

Nice music Lucius! I think we need MP3s without remixis.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Atariangamer

>_< Mine aren't remixes! The most I ever did was edit the notes slightly to fix an error that kept occuring. All mine do is replace the instruments. Lucius took the original MIDI, fed it through an electric keyboard, then recorded the result to mp3 and BINGO! Nice sounding, unedited mp3. Mine, however, use different instruments than usual, have slight slips in the notes, and also mess up when several long, loud notes play at once, and can be stopped by pitch bends and drumsets.

I found (with a Hotel California MIDI) how to get around the block of PitchBends. And the drumsets...I found more samples.
But my way is very tedious, and the original one (Arbor Day Jam) took about 3 days (eh, more like 15 hours...5 from each day) to get that way, and it still could use some help.

Manny Cav

If yours aren't remixes, then what does "Chex Quest E1M5: Caverns (Pump It Remix)" mean? ::) They sound so different than the MIDIs (instruments, etc.). They are definitely remixes.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Lucius

It's all right. I don't really care.  :) I didn't try to remix it that much. All I wanted to do was make the sound quality better and give the horns more of a big band feel. When I make others they will probably a bit more "remixed". Just that the end level I really really love (my favorite song in CQ) and I didn't want to alter it much.

Atariangamer

I do like the change in the brass (though I didn't knowtice till you pointed it out! lol), but if you do remix some, I'd love to hear some compilations...Have you ever played through Sonic 2? At the end, during the credits, a song plays that has every theme in the game intertwined. The main drive of the song is played, and inbetween, a mixxing drum beat (which helps slow or speed up the tempo) happens, then the next song starts. ...too much to ask, I guess...

@Cav: If you read the old topic, I said you wern't suposed to see those. I was kinda testing out the WMP=>iTunes info thing, and decided to just add titles. There is only one song I have that can be considered a remix, and its the 2nd of 3 versions of my own song...but its kinda old and sounds like junk, so I"m not posting it.

I'm really not good with remixing though. I tried, but the most I can do is add in an extra drum riff, enhance/change the instruments, add echo, and maybe a synth lead to back the song up. Remixing is all about just...mixing it again. Its very tedious to cut a song up and mix it up without disturbing the beat unless you have a base track to lay from...but since I have no other people to try and help me with this, and my attention span shorter than myself, I'd drop it before anything good came out...

Luck to Lucius, for his will be the most recent remixes.

BTW, NEone got a good midi? I would like to try something.

Manny Cav

What kind of a MIDI are you looking for, atariangamer? You could always hit up a site like VGMusic if you was desparate enough.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

No...I'm looking for a nice instrumental song with lots of acoustic instruments. Something Oldies might be cool too. I like Oldies. I just can't think of one. Plus, most VGM isn't actually the type of stuff you just turn into mp3...you remix VGM.

Manny Cav

R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Lucius

Atariangamer

@Lucius: Sure...mebe post an example? I haven't heard much folk music.

@Manny: ...I like most of those songs alot, but I can't redo .wav files! Actually, I was kinda meaning 60s-90s, but to many people of average 90s age...I guess 50s were oldies. lol

Manny Cav

...okay. That was misleading. It said they were MIDIs, but I checked them out, and they were WAVs! Oh, well. Try this out, instead.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010