Erratta!!! Cast Your Vote Now!

Started by Boingo the Clown, February 11, 2011, 05:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I change the Flemoids from ranged attacks to melee?

Yes.  Change them.
4 (30.8%)
No.  Keep them as they are.
0 (0%)
Change the lower difficulty flemoids to melee, but keep the higher difficulty flemoids as ranged.
7 (53.8%)
Neutral.  I will agree with your decision.
0 (0%)
Unsure.
0 (0%)
Look! A puppy!
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: February 26, 2011, 10:02:49 AM

Boingo the Clown

Although I had played Chex Quest via the original chex.exe a few times, I almost exclusively played it through Legacy.  After all, chex.exe is a DOS based program and does not run well under Windoze XP.  As a result, I failed to notice a very important change Digital CafĂ© made to the DooM source code when they made Chex Quest.

Please don't laugh, but it wasn't until I played Chuck's CQ3 a few weeks ago that I noticed the Flemoidus Comonus and the Flemoidus Bipedicus do not have ranged attacks and only engage the player with melee attacks.  Since I was used to playing DooM and the F. Comonus and F. Bipedicus  replace the DooM trooper and DooM Sergeant it did not occur to me that they might be different.

So the question is "Should I change the flemoids from ranged attacks to melee?"

This would change the dynamic of T.U.C.Q., although some would say it is merely changing it back to the dynamic of the original game.

A problem is that it would make the game somewhat easier, because the flemoids would need to come in contact with the player in order to slime him.

An advantage however is that without scan line hits the flemoids will be much less likely to start fighting each other from accidentally hitting each other.

Since I am using DEHACKED (Legacy does not have DECORATE support at this time) I will have to make use of melee attacks from Heretic monsters as the melee attacks of the flemoids, assuming it will work.

This poll will close 30 days after I post it.

Happy voting.

ChexCommander

Yeah, did you also notice that flemoids in the original CQ don't drop ammo? I always noticed the differences in TUCQ, and I just thought they were there because you had it that way or it was set to DooM settings. To be honest, I actually kinda liked the changes. Seeing the flemoids duke it out against each other was always fun. XD

Since I'm split, I'd say make them melee on lower difficulty and keep the ranged settings on higher ones.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

Boingo, there's two things that's happened since last time this project activated:

1) I worked with Fraggle to add chex.exe compatibility to Chocolate DooM, resulting in a DEH patch that actually fixes most everything about the game aside from the 5 level episodes and no episode select screen.

2) the latest Legacy contains several Chex fixes, including Newmaps fixes and hardcoded chex.exe compatibility, activated by using Chex.wad as the IWAD. I just tried it a few days ago, and it works well! However, since TUCQ still has massive DeHackEd patches in it, the effects are overwritten, save map handling.

Regardless, I'd be interested in seeing what you do, but my vote is for melee range in the lower levels of difficulty, and hitscan for the higher levels of difficulty.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

I recommend changing it, after making invasion maps for chex quest, I've found that having melee only bipedici and commoni make the gameplay of chex quest unique.

The difficulty in E1 and E2 is way too low, I agree, but there's nothing wrong with having melee only flemoids, you just need more of them, slightly less ammo, or have them be replaced by projectile flemoids in the higher difficulties.

Besides, hitscan bipedici/commoni attacks don't make sense, how could the flemoids fling slime (with no slime shooting weapon) so fast you can't see it?

An idea I had a while ago - I'd like to see a kind of flemoid that had a special high speed flem scatter weapon, that would work similarly to the chaingunner or shotgun guy's attack. Maybe a version of the Bipedicus with armor.

Note: It's really easy to stop the flemoids from infighting and damaging other flemoids in (G)zdoom, all you have to do is give all of the flemoid attacks a slime damagetype, then the flemoids will not be effected by other flem based attacks, including projectiles.

If you don't care if flemoids can be hurt by slime projectiles/attacks, you can just use a +NOINFIGHTING flag.

I'm not sure how/if you could do that with DEHACKED
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

mob720

I think changing it back would be a good idea, because first of all it adds to the "traditional Chex Quest" feel and makes us feel better. Second is that when you up the difficulty where the flemoids don't drop anything, it's not very fun having to shoot one several times and run out of ammo and health. So it would make it a bit easier but to an extent.
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

yeah, that's a good point about the dropped items, especially in the bipedicus' case. It makes getting a large zorcher really easy
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

LAZ Trooper

Last time I played CQ1, I didn't find a Large Zorcher until E1M5 I think...
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

ChexCommander

Quote from: LAZ Trooper on February 13, 2011, 01:41:45 AM
Last time I played CQ1, I didn't find a Large Zorcher until E1M5 I think...

T_T

Pretty sure there's one in E1M3...

LAZ Trooper

I don't know. I think I checked in the maps in DB2 and didn't find any. If I think of it I'll check again.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

ChexCommander

Quote from: LAZ Trooper on February 13, 2011, 03:24:03 PM
I don't know. I think I checked in the maps in DB2 and didn't find any. If I think of it I'll check again.

No, actually, I'm absolutely positive there's one in E1M3. I'll find it for you. ;)

I think we should all have a classic CQ1 + 2 (and maybe 3) playthrough and just nostalgia back to the old days.

Replica

The large Zorcher is in that circular lab room that you teleport  to affter getting the first key; the one with the two cycloptuses.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

noob1234

I voted for melee on low and hitscan on high, but i will respect whatever decision you make.

Boingo the Clown

The results are pretty clear.  Melee flemoids on lower levels with ranged flemoids on higher levels is the winner with all melee flemoids coming in second and people distracted by puppies (who can blame them?) coming in third.

QuadrumpusGuy

Would the ranged flemoids be hitscanning enemies, or would they launch a projectile?

Boingo the Clown

Using The Heretic code pointers, I guess I have a choice of either one.