Rate Chex Skulltag Pack P14 (please explain why you chose your rating)

Started by 75, February 16, 2011, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pick a rank, your comments are more important than your votes, since I'm tryng to figure out what to leave out and what to keep in the next version. Be as thorough as you can, please :)

5 stars - legendary
2 (16.7%)
4 stars - great
7 (58.3%)
3 stars - passable, I'd play it again, but it's not one of my favorites
1 (8.3%)
2 stars - won't play it again
0 (0%)
1 star - very poor
0 (0%)
0 stars - *pukes
0 (0%)
I haven't played this mod, but I would like to
2 (16.7%)
I haven't played this mod and don't want to (e.g., the maps look bad from the screenshots)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

I'm not going to tell you to suck it up, don't worry

Hmm... I'll look at the maps, maybe the map pack is too hard to pick up and play. But, remember... QG and I are good at doom in general, if you remember, when I played on the CQU servers a while back, I usually got first, except in LMS.

Again, I tend to lay off on new players, I usually let them live if they're struggling and go after somebody like QG who doesn't care if I dominate him. I also try to avoid killing the same person more than once, unless they're skilled.  If they keep coming after me, I blow them away, though. If you're looking for trouble, you're going to find it  ;)

I'm not sure what you're saying about the Railgun... you like it, but you want me to remove it because it's nearly impossible to use in every situation? Well, no weapon is good in every situation, but I've found uses for it.

If that's what you meant, I'd recommend not flipping it out very often, and sticking with a shotgun weapon. You can even configure something in player settings to turn auto-switch off, so you don't switch to it automatically if you accidentally run over it.

It does have a place, though, I've gotten some spectacular frags with it at times.

I know the BFG10k is really powerful. I always make it hard to get to, just like skulltag does. However, there's a really high chance of the user killing themselves. The best thing to do is sneak up on then with a super shotgun and get them before the weapon warms up.

I avoid BFG 9000 spam by having a lot of corners to duck behind. I don't use the BFG in open maps since dodging the BFG is a lot like dodging an arch vile, you need places to hide.

To <approximately> quote Manny Cav "Sometimes I get beat by people with shotguns with the BFG, I get blown away while I'm chargin' my lazor"

I've found that to be true. The BFG isn't really a spam weapon, it takes preparation and planning, especially in close quarters. It's really only a spam weapon in co-op or singleplayer, since you "die" so much more slowly in singleplayer. In DM, by the time you power the thing up, you could have been shot and killed five times over.

I disagree that everything can be traced to skulltag weapons... the minigun,  grenade launcher, and super shotgun are really great additions. The Railgun is a great addition to invasion, and a decent weapon for deathmatch, and the 10k is a decent secret weapon.

The grenade launcher got misused in the arena, but it's really useful in maps like DUEL01 and DM03, its best use is not to litter grenades everywhere, but to time a shot so that it bounces into the player's face, from the side or from the ground.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

ChexCommander

Quote from: 75 on February 19, 2011, 07:42:16 PM
QG and I are good at doom in general, if you remember, when I played on the CQU servers a while back, I usually got first, except in LMS.

Dude, no. That's not it. Are you saying Xbolt, Atarian, SS, and I just aren't as good players? That's not it dude, most of us have been playing on CQU long before you, it just helps a ton if you're experienced with the maps, in this case you guys being the map makers. Not putting you down, but experience is an integral part of gameplay, in any game. I'm honestly just not used to it yet, but eventually it will come. So I guess that can't really be helped.

About the running in straight lines thing...that actually happens a lot, and it gets me some pretty good hits with the railgun. XD

I definitely love Skulltag's additions to the game, but I agree that overdosing on runes isn't fun. The Reflection one is great though ;D
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

Yeah, basically what CC said. When we were playing the other night, Me and X were neck and neck usually, and SS not far behind. i think it was QG who joined, and he was having a hard time of it. But put it on maps ya know, and the tables turn.

And I know alot of the tactics to dodge things, its just that not knowing the maps that well means I don't know the best holdout.

But the thing with the railgun is...basically that. In DM maps where you only have 1 good situation, don't include it. There are maps in other wads where you don't get every weapon as an option (and I belive some of your maps do that), so like on the canyon map, railguns are good, but in the arena, its just something in my firing order I'll never have a use for. If I remember correctly, the place could use a little more ammo for some weapons.

And I'll touch on your grenade launcher thing with the fact that some of the maps are hard to do that strategy. With the canyon, its a great one, and it works. Direct hit nade around the corner. But in the arena, where the floor is littered and line of sight is a bit hard (I believe), a player can panic and start spamming...or go for a cheap kill and start spamming. I've been on both ends (receiving and giving) for various reasons, and its just cheap. can't nerf that at all, but that brings up another point.

For a death match arena, that thing is uber small.however, I know how hard it would be to resize it without some major map changes. IDK, but I think some more game play should be able to take place in the center arena, and less around the outside. Just a suggestion.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Actually... the grenade launcher isn't even in the canyon, since I was afraid of people trying to use it on the bridges (it won't work, the grenades will fall right through, since the bridges are fake).

I'll have to play it again before I decide whether the railzorcher should stay in the arena, I think I found a good use for it, but I don't remember.

I actually rather like the zorchlauncher in the arena, it's really great in the actual arena part, you can lob grenades off of those barriers and get some nice frags, although the CL zorcher might do just fine for the same purpose, without being so cheap.

I guess I can safely get rid of the Zorchlauncher in the arena, and replace it with the CL. When I think of it, even I use it for cheap kills sometimes.

The central area might be a little small, maybe I should try making it a lot bigger, like the size of a hockey rink.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

ChexCommander

Yeah, the arena's a bit tight sometimes, a little more space might be nice. But collateral fragfests are pretty fun too.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

I'm going to un-sticky this topic, since it's not a recent poll anymore. Don't let that discourage you if you have something to add, though, I'm not going to lock it or close the poll :)