Erroneous in-game messages?

Started by Manny Cav, April 15, 2008, 10:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manny Cav

I discovered something very interesting about TUCQ today (actually, I found it out while playing The Green Avenger's Chaos on Flemoid Prime, but I suspected that TUCQ was the root of the "problem", and sure enough, it was). The messages for the zorcher pickups now show the amount that each pickup contains. However, because of the varying number of zorches the pickups give on some difficulty levels, they aren't always "truthful". For example, collecting a Large Zorcher pack makes a message appear stating that you have collected such, but it also adds a "(20)" at the end. However, this is only true for the Not So Sticky, Gobs of Goo, and Extreme Ooze difficulty levels. The other two levels give you 40 Large Zorcher zorches for a Large Zorcher pack. Is there some way to make the messages say something different for the appropriate difficulty levels, or perhaps you should just forgo the zorcher amounts in the messages?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Hmm...I noticed this in Newmaps, but didn't think about it.

Good job, Cav! U seem to be the error finder. It helps mod makers, though...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

I see myself as more of a critical reviewer who isn't afraid to express his opinions. But, anyway, this would pretty much happen to any mod that ran off of TUCQ because they all share most of TUCQ's resources, including its DeHackEd patch.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Hmm. thats not good! But...EChex or ACQE or what ever Slime calls it is almost out...and hopefully will fix this!

The Slimeinator

Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Manny Cav

It's probably just the text in the TUCQ DeHackEd patch. It shouldn't be a big deal to fix.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

The Slimeinator

I'll have to define an extra string, and then I'll have to tell the DooM source code when to show each string.

Atariangamer

O_O Why not just say "You got a Large Zorcher Pack!" and forget the whole (20)(40) thing...
It wasn't there in the original game, anyway... ...Was it?

Plus, I guess this means no engine release if you have to do this junk...

The Slimeinator

I'll just do it that way. :D

I only have ONE minor kink left before I release. IT HAPPENS EVERY TIME!!!!! :(

Boingo the Clown

Regarding erroneous messages:

The message is actually meant to represent the normal amount of ammunition supplied with each pickup.

Unfortunately, the game doubles the ammunition pickup of skill levels 1 and 5.