Author Topic: Breakfast Trek Is BACK!  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Bugaham

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Breakfast Trek Is BACK!
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »
I have now taken over as the leader of Breakfast Trek. The new direction will be pretty similar to what it was before. Here's an overview of what I think our purpose is (as this project was before, it still heavily inspired by freedoom. However, it also needs to be a bit different for chex.)

Chex Quest has always been a game that anyone could enjoy. People whose parent's wouldn't let them play games with blood could play. People who loved shooting games could play. And it was basically doom. And it was essentially free, because it came for free with a purchase of Chex Cereal. Lastly, something we really need to preserve, the levels focused a bit more on action than the maze-solving of Doom. But it was sort-of a demo of what COULDVE been achieved- after all, its a CD-in-a-cereal-box. As we all know, the game only had 5 levels- and Chex 2 and much later Chex 3 each added another 5. The 3 episodes can be completed through speedrunning in maybe 20 minutes, and without speedrunning but knowledge of the game, an hour. The episodes also don't really connect very well. Don't interpret this wrong, I'm not insulting Chex Quest- it just wasn't designed to be a huge game.

But we can fix that. Breakfast Trek is our chance to do Chex Quest the way the developers could've had they made it a fully fledged game. We can make a free game, accessible by ANYONE, with excellent skulltag support, that keeps the charm of the 3 Chex Quests while pushing the engine to the limit. Adding more monsters. Adding much more levels. Adding some great multiplayer support. Basically, we can make what could be seen as a sort of Chex Quest series reboot, only with more benefits. We kick out the few problems with Chex Quest, fill that space with some new good things, and amplify the already-existing good things. And the benefits- its free. Its public domain. Its truly accesible by anyone. And maaayyybee, just mayyybbe, we can figure out how to get an iPhone port out.

Of course, we will change the graphics, textures, maps, etc and add new ones.

So now, here is what we want to achieve, in 3 basic sentences (similar to Freedoom's 3 goals)

1. Create a Chex Quest that could've been a full retail title.

2. Make it public domain and accessible by anyone

3. Expand to make it truly not only the best CHEX QUEST experience, but the best DOOM experience possible.

This will take a lot of cooperation. But I know we can do this!

I would hugely appreciate any help on this project- I don't want this project to be me doing all the work. In fact, having little experience in making mods (I have played a bunch, though, don't worry I know exactly what we can/cant achieve) I don't think I could achieve this myself. I don't think any single person here could achieve this themself. So we need community support.

Mappers.
Composers.
Spriters/texture people.
Idea people.

And I know that this can succeed. For now, I'll work on setting a direction and a beginning. As the leader, my main job, I think, is to help the other areas and work a bit on those but mostly constantly determine the direction of the project; what needs to be done, what needs to happen next, etc. I will need some help on those, however. I don't want to be a tyrant  :P

Finally, don't get caught up in what you want story/chex universe wise YET. Right now, this is mostly on the planning phase but I see no major barriers for why we can't start as soon as we have enough of a community interest.

Remember, this isn't possible without all of us! We are a very talented community of Chex Quest players and modders- see this as a huge community project that has huge community benefits!

:whale
Bugaham

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Breakfast Trek Is BACK!
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
Re: Breakfast Trek Is BACK!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »
Hmm...

You know what, its getting to be summer, and i'm going to have much more free time.

I will do the DECORATE, if wished, provided someone provide me with sprites. I am quite innovative with it. I will also do some mapping, if needed.

On a related note, I don't see why we can't just keep the flem monsters? I mean, the idea itself can't be copyrighted, can it? Their SLIME MONSTERS, for goodness sake. I do think the sprites need to be changed slightly though. I didn't quite like the idea of syrup monsters. Mainly because, well, I think a bunch of brown blobs just wouldn't quite look all that good.

Thats all i've got.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 07:34:32 PM »
I will do the DECORATE

Is Breakfast Trek still meant to be played on Vanilla Chex?
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:41:49 PM »
You know, i don't know.

CQ3 used a modified version of zdoom, if i remember right? Thats why it used DECORATE. I see no reason not to use zdoom for this. Or even GZDoom. Or maybe even two different versions, one for each? (yes, i know, thats going a bit far :P)
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline Bugaham

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:19:49 PM »
To keep a theme of easy accessability, I think we should use the Skulltag ZDoom- We want to include multiplayer, of course, and it would be easiest to just be able to download skulltag and run the iwad rather than installing a bunch of seperate programs to run it.

Also, we need a total conversion just to be safe. Everything needs to be changed, even the items that don't show up in the final game (we wouldn't need to have a sprite for that, I guess) Syrup monsters would be actually kinda cool, I think.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:22:12 PM by Bugaham »

Offline arch129

• Drum Set Salesman
  • Fan Projects Coordinator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 10:25:12 PM »
I'm in favor of keeping the main monster as flemoids, but we will need new sprites either way.

Anyways I can do some textures making, but full sprite sets are out of the question.

The easiest way to do the full sprite sets would either have a modeler make a model and then convert them into frames that we could use or do what 'Harmony' did, make the models out of clay and then photograph the frames.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 10:27:26 PM »
IMHO, don't use Dehacked or Decorate if at all possible. In fact, the clearest, easiest, and fastest way possible to do this project would be doing the exact same thing that progressed Doom from classic, to modern, to mulitplayer.

Build a vanilla compatible IWAD with maps designed for both single and multiplay, DM and Coop. That way, if the project dies down or starts to fall apart, at least the core will be established, and we'll have a good set of maps to run around in, with all aspects of the game covered.

Then, if we still have steam and resources, start converting skulltags content and creating maps for it. That will bring the game into the next level, and allow specialized maps to take advantage of the new features.

The thought behind a full IWAD is because when TNCQ2 (The New Chex Quest 2, basically Doom2 with everything but the maps replaced with chex) was still easily availible, we would sometimes just clear all PWADs from Skulltag and play straight up DM on the stock maps (which were REALLY fun). Some maps were bad, yes, but some were excellent DM maps. If we could get Breakfast Trek to a level where it could stand alone and be good, then the rest will come naturally.

EDIT (considering arch's post):
I don't know...its hard to come up with a good alternative to the name flemoid, and a complete different appearance and sound to warrant trying to do it. A new enemy should be designed, and actually, Syrup could be it.  Its weakness...possibly heat, to make it just a puddle on the floor? (great idea! for the hardest difficulty when they respawn, the melting animation reversed makes them reform when cooled). Then we could have weapons that use heat (like a microwave gun or something) to still be rather nonviolent, but slightly futuristic.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:30:21 PM by Atariangamer »
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline Bugaham

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 10:37:54 PM »
Atariangamer, the syrup+heat is a great idea. Is it possible to make it so that a heat weapon does the most damage?

Also, while Flemoid isn't copyrighted, we need to change everything, I think, including names. Names will be hard though- maybe Mutrup (mutant syrup) or something would work.

And I have a possible logo-

Let me know if you like it!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:01:42 PM by Bugaham »

Offline LAZ Trooper

• Must... keep... mapping... o_o
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 22
  • Standing at the ready when Flemoids attack.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 11:19:04 PM »
I like that logo. How does it look on black background (or other colors)?

When we get enough to start mapping, I could try building off some old old levels I made a while back.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Offline Bugaham

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 11:53:21 PM »
We have begun, you can refer to the other topic in this subforums to see what we need. You can start mapping right now, if you can that'd be great! The nice thing is, if you make a map you don't have many restrictions to go buy. I explained what we needed best in this topic- http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=3310.0.

The logo looks best, I think, on dark blue. I'll post a picture of the logo on dark blue in the morning.

Thanks to everyone showing interest in this project! :)

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting