Author Topic: To Begin Breakfast Trek  (Read 4278 times)

Offline Bugaham

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
To Begin Breakfast Trek
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:56:32 PM »
*Note: Please voice here if you disagree with anything!!*

As for now, I think we first need to figure out what we are aiming for. Chex 1, 2, and 3 had 15 levels. Doom 2 had 32. We were aiming to be a lot longer than Chex 1, 2, and 3 so I think with 36 maps is a nice, roundish number. 36 is the number because if we decide we want the game to be in episodes, (which I will talk about later here) we can have 4 episodes of 9 missions.
We also need graphics redone of
Weapons (can't call them Zorchers anymore.)
HUD
Monsters
Items
Textures
Backgrounds (like the ones in the intermissions)

And we also need a new color that sort-of unifies the game- Chex had green, doom had red.. We need a color that is the color of our monsters and our text. It must also be friendly to all ages- so we can't use "red for blood" again. We shouldn't use green either.
I think we should use either Brown or light-blue. Light Blue shows how Breakfest Trek is really for everyone, and Brown would be if we had Syrup Monsters as some have suggested. The graphics department can decide on the final colors, of course, but I really think Blue and Brown would be good colors. We need to replace the old text with the new text of the new color. Update: Blue is the offical color!

While graphics is working on that, we also need some music. I'm good with music, so I should be able to help here.
We need midi files- doom used about 23 throughout the entire game. I think if we had 12 songs, each on 3 levels, that would be pretty good. If we had 3 "boss levels" maybe there could be a boss theme. Also, an opening theme makes 13, and if we have 1 for intermission and 1 for credits that makes a round 15.

Map design is, I think, the most independent of these groups. They can basically do whatever they want provided they stay close to the "like doom, but easier mazes and more focus on action" formula that the Chex Quest games use. As I before said, I think we need 36 maps (you can voice disagreements in the comments if you disagree with any of this, sorry if this topic seems much like "This is the way it is" its more like a really deep suggestion.). Chex Quest wasn't about bonus, maps, so Breakfest Trek shouldn't be either. I think we should have 3 boss levels ever 12 levels with intermissions in between to tell the story. Bosses can take the place of the boss from the end of Chex 1, and the boss of chex 3. And one boss can be in the style of Chex 2, I guess.  What we want to do, though, is have it so that the levels get progressively harder. Having only 5 levels per episode in Chex didn't really allow much of this, but now we can fix that. Also, nightmare mode should actually be hard, unlike Chex 1 and 2, and more on par with Chex 3's nightmare difficulty. Chex 1 and 2 were too low on the difficulty meter but Chex 3 was just right. Difficulty level similar to Chex 3. Don't worry about themes yet, once we get most of the essential parts of the game done we can worry about the theme of the level and which textures go where- for now, design for the map and later we can make it look pretty.

Lastly multiplayer maps.
We need a lot of these, but I say first get the single player done. If you want to work on a multiplayer map, go ahead and we will definitely need it later but thats not really a priority right now but something I see as a final feature incorporated in the later versions.

Okay, so here's the abvailable jobs to choose from (don't pick the whole job unless your dedicated- you could pick maybe the Rocket Launcher type weapon or the monster replacing the main flemoid)
Graphics- Weapons, monsters, items, textures, others (text conversion, backgrounds, etc). Use GIMP if you dont have a graphics program
Music- 11 normal songs, 1 boss song, intermission, credits    ALL MIDI. Use Anvil studios if you don't have a midi program
Maps- 3 boss levels, 33 normal levels
Polisher- Someone who's good at combining all of these things together.

Post here what you are working on- Don't say "Weapons" say "All the weapons" if you want them all or say "Plasma Gun, Rocket Launcher" if you want only the plasma gun and the rocket launcher

I think we should be able to get a few sprites/textures done and a song or two done and a map or two done in time for a very early tech demo type thing by the end of the month.

We also need a logo thingy, like how doom has DOOM in those letters that look that way- I'll work on one, but if you want to, work on one two and we can pick the best from like 5 logos :)
Update: Here's my proposed logo

Also, if you need a color, pick blue. Its our unifiying color.

IMPORTANT: ALL FILES MUST BE COMPLETELY ORIGINAL AND NOT USED IN ANYTHING YOU HAVE MADE BEFORE

:whale
Bugaham
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:03:56 PM by Bugaham »

Chex Quest Fan Forums

To Begin Breakfast Trek
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:56:32 PM »

Offline Bugaham

• Commonus
  • Thank You
Re: To Begin Breakfast Trek
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:04:43 PM »
Here's a music file that I made a while ago and never used on any project. It may possibly fit well with a level. Can anyone give feedback on it, please? :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ie3i3ng38ya4lao

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:19:45 PM »
I'll just comment on a few things, though sadly (due to a job) I won't be able to contribute much.

I think Blue of some shade would be the best bet for a common theme. I've also got a great question: Palette. I know with CQ they just used the normal DooM PLAYPAL lump. But Freedoom (and AFAIK, BoingoTheClown's attempt at a free Doom IWAD) aims to have a completely new PLAYPAL to encourage the full original content thing. But maintaining PWAD compatibility becomes hard that way.

Also, port of choice. Ideally, its Vanilla compatible, but we live in a time of massively upgraded source ports. Even Chex Quest 3 made major use of ZDooM features. Now, DECORATE is out because creating entirely new monsters and items and weapons would break compatibility in some places, but what about dehacked, full color images (independant of PLAYPAL, which is ideal because it eliminates much of the problems associated with it), and the like.

Thoughts on this?
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline Bugaham

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:34:09 PM »
I think we should do a Skulltag Zdoom use and just keep the original pallete from the original chex. Creativity is encourajed, but i think its a bit too far to make a brand new pallete when the old one isn't copyrighted or anything.

Blue sounds good for me too, by the way.

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 12:32:15 AM »
I can do some maps. I don't particularly know exactly what yet.

So, what engine are we using? And how are we making the monsters? The only way I know is DECORATE, and if we ARE going to use that, i would like to help with that. From what i've read though, thats not whats going on. In that case, how ARE we going to make the monsters? I don't know any other way...

And i'm going to voice this one more time. I'm all for the idea of syrup monsters, if you can get them to work right. My main concern is the fact that I think brown just wouldn't look good. Since blue is the unifying color, I think we should do something along those lines. What, however, I have no clue.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 01:33:53 AM »
@CM: We make monsters by replacing the sprites for the ones already coded into the engine. This is going to be mostly art/graphics and mapping.

What I'm thinking with the Syrup monsters is to make them similar to the flemoids shape (just blobs with form), but make them dark brown with light tan highlights on the necessary areas. They won't have to be transparent or anything.

I got a tablet, I'll try and sketch up some concept art or something tomorrow.

WAIT. Duh, we're gonna have to do SOME Decorate. Or something. Are we keeping with CQ3s style of close range attacks? or are we going with Doom styled hitscan enemies? If Doom styled, then no need to code. If CQ styled, we'll need some customized decorate to give the enemies their properties (and am I right in saying you can code replacements for standard enemies, no need for creating whole new MapObj numbers?) That'll be our best bet for Chex styled enemy action (and would give CM something to DECORATE).

And while we're at that, a post in the other topic said syrup monsters with heat weapons would work. So we could make some slightly customized weapons to help that.

Stay tuned! More later.

Offline Bugaham

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 12:21:02 PM »
I don't know what to think. Syrup monsters are definitely cooler, but they don't have the unifying color. I'm going to post a poll about this, to see what everyone thinks. And I think we are keeping it to Chex's style, so there will be some DECORATE going on.

ChexMaster- Maps would be great!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:29:52 PM by Bugaham »

Offline arch129

• Drum Set Salesman
  • Fan Projects Coordinator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 05:45:06 PM »
Will Breakfast Trek have a more realistic portrayal of the future or more of a 'Zeerust' style to it like the original Chex Quest?

Offline Bugaham

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 06:00:23 PM »
We'll keep the Zeerust style of Chex. Its part of Chex Quest's style and charm. :)

Offline arch129

• Drum Set Salesman
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 06:24:54 PM »
May I propose some logo ideas?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 12:09:31 AM »
http://i.imgur.com/q6b5P.png

My random, sleep deprived sketches. Only a few of them are serious, but take from it what you will.

I'm not a great anthropomorphic sketcher (that is, I can't draw human shaped or styled things that well), so my designs are terrible (the middle guy, the lolwufflz guy is non serious).

If you see something you like and want me to try harder on, lemme know. Or if you have something I can try and sketch, lemme know.

Offline Bugaham

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 12:29:40 AM »
The waffle guy on the very left is very good, maybe you could make the little waffle HUD. Tommorow, I'll make a list of what we should get done by the first early release.

Offline arch129

• Drum Set Salesman
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 02:47:36 AM »
I like those weapons Atari!

I have some ideas for some alien like monsters.

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 04:33:23 AM »
I like #1 and #3.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline Bugaham

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 10:11:25 AM »
I agree, 1 and 3 are excellent.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting