Possible CQ: Source mod

Started by The Green Avenger, August 02, 2011, 11:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Green Avenger

So, I've been working on learning to map Source, and I should be able to port the original Chex Quest levels to it.  Now, I believe there were some hi-res textures made, and some models.  If you guys could help me acquire the necessary resources, I would be happy to attempt such a project.

Any takers?
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

I was trying to make a multiplayer source mod. I tried for weeks to get the unmodified source code to compile, but I couldn't get it to compile, there were errors in the code that I had to fix before it would work.

I also find the hammer editor harder to work with than DoomBuilder, so I made my mod for Skulltag instead to practice my mapping. I think I'm good enough to make maps for source now (I understand what made doom so good for multiplayer and single player), but I want to make the gameplay fast, like Doom's, not slow like HL2 Deathmatch. I will try mapping at HL2's speed, if you don't want to speed it up, but I am not sure it will be any good.

You can find Lucius Octavian's high res textures here: http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=158.0

Datra made a few models, but they are md3s. I don't know what model format HL2 uses, but I think md3s are too simple.

If the md3 format isn't too simple, send him a PM, so far he's made the chex ship, the landing light, the mini zorch recharge, the diner stool, and the diner table.

His skins are not good enough, though. So, I made some custom skins for his models for my mod. I didn't finish them, though. 3d models are not a high priority for me, but if you are serious about this I want to see a true 3d mod enough to finish them up for you.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

The Green Avenger

For proof of concept, all I really want is the textures.  As for Hammer, I'm beginning to like it.  It's different, and you learn a lot of things the hard way (see: don't carve), but I know enough of it to be convincing, I believe.

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Datra

I know that Wiweeyum was involved in the making of a Source CQ game. So he might be a good person to get in touch with about this.

Quote from: 75 on August 03, 2011, 12:15:29 AM
Datra made a few models, but they are md3s. I don't know what model format HL2 uses, but I think md3s are too simple.
Source uses an .smd model which supports a lot more than .md3s could. In fact, I don't even think that Source can use .md3s at all.
I can probly build in it but all the exporters I've seen have been 3rd party and rather unreliable. But I'll have to do some testing in Garry's Mod first. (hopefully without breaking it)
And seeing as I can add a lot more detail in a HL2 model I might as well just rebuild the models from scratch specifically for Source.

Quote from: 75 on August 03, 2011, 12:15:29 AM
His skins are not good enough, though.
Not by a long shot. XD
Texture making has never been my strong side and it will take a lot of practice for me to be halfway decent at it.
But for now I work better in the 3D than I do in 2D (cause I'm weird like that) :P
CQHD Community Dev

I know how to get in contact with Wiweeyum if you're interested
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

ChexCommander

Quote from: 75 on August 03, 2011, 02:19:03 PM
I know how to get in contact with Wiweeyum if you're interested

Whatever happened to VioFlem?
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Quote from: wiweeyum on his steam group page*sigh* [It's] More or less [Dead]. I wouldn't keep my eyes peeled for it anytime soon.   

Atariangamer

Quote from: The Green Avenger on August 03, 2011, 12:25:52 AM
you learn a lot of things the hard way (see: don't carve)

*looks at own map*

DANG IT.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

The Green Avenger

I know, right?  Valve themselves called carve a stupid tool.  you're supposed to use the clip tool.  This would seem to make some things impossible, or at least extremely difficult, until you realize that the clip tool has three settings.  Same with the select tool; clicking it multiple times cycles through scale, rotate, and skew.  Good things to know.