Poll

Should we switch to CHEX3.WAD as the IWAD?

Yes! More stuff!
7 (87.5%)
I don't care.
0 (0%)
NO! Keep the IWAD CHEX.WAD!!!
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: August 05, 2012, 12:16:36 PM

Author Topic: Community Quest (Beta 2 Released)  (Read 25953 times)

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
Re: Community Quest (Beta 1 Released)
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »
Oh, also I decided to work on a sort of HUB, since this is a map PACK, not something with levels that lead into each other. Basic idea is that its a large map with various "teleporters" to other levels, and you always come back to the HUB after your done. Might add some sort of score system, idk... might be cool.

If this pack used the regular chex.wad as the IWAD, may I ask why? There's so much more stuff to work with with chex3.wad >_>.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:59:48 PM by ChexMaster2109 »
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

arch129

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2012, 11:57:12 AM »
Okay, I have a question. Is this run on ZDoom, GZDoom, or what? I guess what i'm saying is, do we have access to the GZDoom features?

I was planning this to be able to work in chex.exe and also work in ZDoom/GZDoom with special features for those.

Oh, also I decided to work on a sort of HUB, since this is a map PACK, not something with levels that lead into each other. Basic idea is that its a large map with various "teleporters" to other levels, and you always come back to the HUB after your done. Might add some sort of score system, idk... might be cool.

I would love to have a hub, it would be easy to do with MAPINFO.

If this pack used the regular chex.wad as the IWAD, may I ask why? There's so much more stuff to work with with chex3.wad >_>.

While I always imagined this being able to work on chex.exe, I would be willing to change the project over to chex3.exe if more map makers join as a result.

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2012, 09:53:12 PM »
Okay, I've tried using both, and out of them, i'd much rather go with chex3. I'm sorry, but it has A LOT more resources to work with, and (at least I think) is a lot more clean. Its handy having the new textures (such as the space ones, and whatnot) to use.

I also think it might attract others to join this, as its much easier to mod with chex3. Honestly, you can get the chex3.wad with a quick google search to Chucktropolis. I looked everywhere for the chex.wad download, and eventually remembered it was in the gallery XD. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but we have a DB config link for chex3.wad around here, right? I haven't seen one for chex.wad. The only way I got to modding with it at all was because I was using the new GZDoomBuilder that 75 found, and it happens to have DOZENS more configs included than DB :3

I just personally think overall it might be easier to work with chex3.wad

(Also, the HUBs coming along quite nicely. What do you think about having some sort of high score system or something [just for fun]. Its quite easy to set  it up in a script)

arch129

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2012, 11:53:56 PM »
Okay, I've tried using both, and out of them, i'd much rather go with chex3. I'm sorry, but it has A LOT more resources to work with, and (at least I think) is a lot more clean. Its handy having the new textures (such as the space ones, and whatnot) to use.

I also think it might attract others to join this, as its much easier to mod with chex3. Honestly, you can get the chex3.wad with a quick google search to Chucktropolis. I looked everywhere for the chex.wad download, and eventually remembered it was in the gallery XD. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but we have a DB config link for chex3.wad around here, right? I haven't seen one for chex.wad. The only way I got to modding with it at all was because I was using the new GZDoomBuilder that 75 found, and it happens to have DOZENS more configs included than DB :3

I just personally think overall it might be easier to work with chex3.wad

I think moving too chex3.wad will be much better. I'm going to try to convert the two current levels.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 07:39:34 PM »
I recommend using DECORATE to add new enemies to the game, since I've been experimenting with the game I've found that chex has a lot of opportunities for new content, there's really no need to stay with the doom set of monsters if you make it for zDoom.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »
Hmm...

I just had an idea. What if we made it so that a specific area opens up in the HUB if your running in GZDoom? So, like, we could have maps that are fully invested in GZDoom (with 3d floors and whatnot), in their own section of the HUB built for said maps, and it only opens when in GZDoom? It would be fairly easy to setup, due to 3d floors.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:00:36 PM by ChexMaster2109 »

arch129

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »
I finished converting the two levels, downloads on the fist post are updated.

Bug reports and/or suggestions are welcome.  For the sake of organization if you wish color your bug reports orange and color your suggestions green.

Offline Danfun64

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Community Quest (Beta 2 Released)
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 01:19:44 PM »
using chex3.wad as the IWAD. BAH! There are too few chex.exe compatible pwads as it is (correct me if I'm wrong though).

edit:besides, these levels could possibly be used for Breakfast Trek. Or if they aren't used for it, they can be used with it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:23:01 PM by Danfun64 »

arch129

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2012, 03:06:09 PM »
using chex3.wad as the IWAD. BAH! There are too few chex.exe compatible pwads as it is (correct me if I'm wrong though).

edit:besides, these levels could possibly be used for Breakfast Trek. Or if they aren't used for it, they can be used with it.

While I like chex.exe compatible wads, this is a community project and it seems more people want chex3.wad as the IWAD.

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »
Hmm...

I have two questions.

1. Whats really the main difference in mapping between chex.wad chex3.wad? (other than the obvious lack of resources)

2. Is there any major differences between the chex engine and the chex3 engine that we can use sort of like my GZDoom section idea above ^

arch129

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »
Hmm...

I have two questions.

1. Whats really the main difference in mapping between chex.wad chex3.wad? (other than the obvious lack of resources)

2. Is there any major differences between the chex engine and the chex3 engine that we can use sort of like my GZDoom section idea above ^

With the chex3.exe which is basically ZDoom, we can have a hub map, more that 5 levels, more than 7 flemoids, and less issues concerning chex.exe strange limitations.

Also ChexMaster2109, are you still working on a HUB?

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 10:24:32 PM »
Yup. I can give you a wad with the map so far if you want. Only the main spawn room is done so far right now, but it looks purty :D

Also, there is a little bit of a graphical glitch (i'm using stacked sectors), but that's an engine limitation, nothing I can do about it :(

arch129

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2012, 01:32:33 AM »
Yup. I can give you a wad with the map so far if you want. Only the main spawn room is done so far right now, but it looks purty :D

Also, there is a little bit of a graphical glitch (i'm using stacked sectors), but that's an engine limitation, nothing I can do about it :(

You should post it once you have it functional, but I would like to see a screenshot so far just because I'm curious.

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »
Heres the spawn:

Oh looky, we get to see some of the visual glitches. Blame the engine, not me >_>

EDIT: Hmm... 75 (or anyone actually), what happens when you have a UDMF format map and a Hexen format map in the same WAD? Does it work? Can you move/teleport from one map to the other?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:42:35 PM by ChexMaster2109 »

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2012, 02:33:25 AM »
New picture (had some fun with a hallway):

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting