Poll

Should we switch to CHEX3.WAD as the IWAD?

Yes! More stuff!
7 (87.5%)
I don't care.
0 (0%)
NO! Keep the IWAD CHEX.WAD!!!
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: August 05, 2012, 12:16:36 PM

Author Topic: Community Quest (Beta 2 Released)  (Read 25955 times)

Offline Pikazec2012

• Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • If i could marry any girl, it would be Lilly Satou
Re: Community Quest (Beta 2 Released)
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2012, 05:20:27 AM »
So i havnt mapped in like 5 years but im interested in making a level for this. i know i skipped all the important read me stuff at the begging but if someone could pm what exactly were using and links to ALL the stuff i need to download that would be great :) i had alot of chex quest stuff on my desktop but untill its fixed im stuck on my laptop so i have nothing
I'm Pikazec2012 and this is my favorite site on the internet! (yes i know im 3 years behind on this meme)

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2012, 05:32:23 AM »
we are using the chex3.wad

The engine is up to you, im setting the HUB up to work with GZDoom, ZDoom, and it should work with the chex3 engine. Just note if you use critical GZDoom featuers, such as 3D floors, that map will only be playable if the person decides to run in GZDoom. The links to everything are on the front page i believe. Have fun!
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Offline Pikazec2012

• Maximus
  • Thank You
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2012, 05:36:01 AM »
what are yall using for level editing. doom builder, or doombuilder 2 and what configuration?
I'm Pikazec2012 and this is my favorite site on the internet! (yes i know im 3 years behind on this meme)

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »
check the previous page for my link to GZDoomBuilder. It includes the config files for chex3. You don't have to use the GZDoom features of it if you don't want to, but it's nice to have the config all set up for you. You can go with UDMF, Hexen, Doom format, or whatever, as long as it's chex3, seeing as I can set up teleports between all the different formats.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2012, 01:20:35 AM »
Just note if you use critical GZDoom featuers, such as 3D floors, that map will only be playable if the person decides to run in GZDoom.

zDoom 2.6.0 supports non-translucent non-sloped 3d floors

though so far only gZDoom supports sloped/translucent 3d floors, dynamic lighting, true color sprites/textures, 3d models, BRIGHTMAPS, ZBillboarding, Quake 3 skyboxes, looking straight up and straight down, filters, and shaders.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 01:23:20 AM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline Pikazec2012

• Maximus
  • Thank You
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2012, 03:29:04 AM »
Just note if you use critical GZDoom featuers, such as 3D floors, that map will only be playable if the person decides to run in GZDoom.

though so far only gZDoom supports sloped/translucent 3d floors, dynamic lighting, true color sprites/textures, 3d models, BRIGHTMAPS, ZBillboarding, Quake 3 skyboxes, looking straight up and straight down, filters, and shaders.
err try that again in english? lol i havnt mapped since legacy was "The Engine" so err i doubt ill use any of that

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2012, 03:59:22 AM »
Thats interesting.... 75, when you do a sloped one in zdoom, what happens? does it just not show?

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
Thats interesting.... 75, when you do a sloped one in zdoom, what happens? does it just not show?

Correct. I believe they have physics but they are invisible. Also, GzDoom's 3d floors can be sloped OR translucent, not both. Translucent sloped 3d floors are rendered fully opaque with sidedef glitches.

err try that again in english? lol i havnt mapped since legacy was "The Engine" so err i doubt ill use any of that

Sloped/translucent 3d floors: sloped means that a plane in the map isn't completely flat, translucent means that you can see through it. A 3d floor is a platform you create in the map that is above the floor that you can walk on, allowing for true "room over rooms".

Dynamic lights are easier to explain with an example --
 (click on image to enlarge)

That little red halo around the phasing zorch cell is a dynamic light, it fades out smoothly and lights up a little part of the map.

True color sprites/textures: means that in GzDoom you can use any color you like, in standard zDoom you are restricted to the Doom palette

3d models replace 3d objects with images, e.g., this

instead of the standard box of minizorcher recharges

BRIGHTMAPS are used to make part of textures and sprites appear bright, for example, you could use it to make a monsters' eyes glow in the dark

ZBillboarding -- the zDoom wiki said it best

However, looking at extreme angles will still cause problems for the engine, notably with sprite rendering, since sprites remain strictly 2D. This issue can be addressed through billboarding, but it is merely a choice between two imperfect solutions.

in ports with freelook monsters look paper thin from straight above or below, and it's almost impossible to see them... this is because the sprites are just 2D and there's no image for what they should look like from above, they were never meant to be viewed like that.

Billboarding is an option to show what they look like from the side when looking above

the image on the left and the image on the right are the same, but one uses Billboarding:

It looks awkward but it's better than invisible monsters.

I'm not sure what Quake 3 skyboxes are, I've never felt a need for them

Filters are effects in the rendering to make the game look smoother, but also more blurry, I don't use them, though the effect is noticeable.

Hardware shaders make 3d models and some textures look better, they improve how lighting effects the textures, though I can't really testify to that since I've never used them.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2012, 11:57:43 PM »
Wow. Thanks for the list 75. I think that needs to be stickied in its own topic in the WAD editing section...

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 38
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2012, 12:33:14 AM »
I'd thank, but I don't see the button...

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2012, 01:17:16 AM »
Same.

Offline MidnightTH

• Midnight The Hedgehog
  • Larva
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
  • This Text is REALLY Personal.
    • Neo Rezzland Forums
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2012, 12:18:01 PM »
Can i help?
Replica is a feeling a little but Hurter........

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »
Anyone can make maps for this Midnight, in fact, I think we'd all appreciate some more XD

You can make it for quite a few different engine formats, but I'd recommend UDMF, with or without GZDoom specific features. And please, make it at least a little bit playable in Co-op, so we can have some fun in multiplayer XD

Offline TrueDude

• Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2012, 12:54:00 AM »
Random suggestion, but what if we moved the development of this to the Eternity Engine? The engine really doesn't get that much love, plus the levels already created could easily be ported over. Plus I'd like to see what could be done with the Eternity specific features.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
Eternity doesn't support Decorate, it has its own scripting language for making new monsters. It won't work for a chex3 based mod.

Also, from what I've seen Eternity is a lot closer to vanilla doom or Boom than zDoom, I don't think it would be an improvement in technology in any case.

Quoting from their wiki:

Current major goals for the engine include completing support for Heretic, a dynamic weapon and inventory system, ZDoom node support, and UDMF support.

I'm thinking that if Heretic isn't supported, it seems rather unlikely that the engine supports Hexen map support, so you'll likely be restricted to using Doom or Boom format maps (with ACS? Doom format lacks the Script_Execute Linedef action...? Strange.)

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting