Top 5 Chex Quest Mods

Started by noob1234, September 10, 2012, 12:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noob1234

I've been wanting to do this for a bit now...
So here is my list of top 5 chex quest mods, in no particular order...

Chex Quest: A New Mission (The Slimeinator)
This mod, along with H. A. U., really stretches the capabilities of the GZDoom engine. It presents the classic Chex Quest in an RPG-ish mod. The gameplay is well thought out, and it's a nice change from just simple zorching, although that can be fun too. I liked the first quests better, but the rest of the game is pretty good too. The item system is well made and has no bugs. This mod will also take a while to finish... and it's only "15% done"...

H. A. U. (The Slimeinator)
As with A New Mission, this mod really innovates, although slightly less so. This one also has more of the legendary "Slimeinator difficulty" than A New Mission. The puzzles are challenging but not impossible, and the maps are also well made. This mod will take you to a variety of locations, including the planet from A New Mission. The overall concept is good too. Have yet to beat it, even though it only has seven maps at this point.

Chex Quest: The Lost Quest (arch129)
This mod has possibly the best maps I've seen... The attention to detail really immerses the player in the setting of Ralston. I like the thoughtful extras included, like the save switches, the Archy the Bombs, and the strategic placement of zorchers. The creepy-sounding Flemegaoids are a good (and tough) addition, and the final boss is... overpowered, to say the least. I also like the Strife sounds added, because quite frankly, the regular Chex Quest pickup sounds aren't the best. The difficulty is just about right and ramps up at a pretty uniform pace, although the last two maps are more difficult... A top-notch mod with top-notch maps. Looking forward to the remaining episodes.

Newmaps: A Chex Quest Mod (xbolt)
How could I not include Newmaps? In my opinion, it's the best mod available on now-not-so-popular-for-modding Legacy, even though it's going to GZDoom... eventually... It uses as its base the great upgrades of The Ultimate Chex Quest and adds three well-made episodes with humorous cutscenes, especially the second and third episodes, of which the bosses are... strange, to say the least. It's not the hardest mod out there, but it will definitely give you some entertainment.

Chex [Skulltag] Pack (75, Quadrumpusguy, ChexMaster2109, others?)
This picks up where Arena left off. It adds Chex-specific multiplayer maps that allow Chex Quest's multiplayer to be different. The extra skulltag weapon replacements are good, but the ones it adds are even better, especially the dual-wielding. I've yet to play any of the co-op maps, but they look well thought out. Overall, this mod makes Chex Quest multiplayer unique and fun. This is also the only active mod on the site as far as I know... it has frequent updates and there's usually someone on the server.

What do you guys think?
EDIT: If the writing's not that good... well, I'm sleepy atm so...

xbolt

People still think of me, even in this day and age? I'm amazed! ;D

MajorSlime

Might want to take me off of the listing for the Skulltag Pack right now. Although I've tried, I just can't quite get a map good enough yet >_>. Working on it though. I really have to find some more time...
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

LAZ Trooper

I wouldn't really work to be listed for the Skulltag mod either (not that I am), because none of my levels made it...

Xbolt: Top 3 CQ Modder List: Boingo, you, Slime.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

MajorSlime

Atariangamer

Arch is still my absolute top mapper.
Boingo was one of the first 'major' modders, so he gets props for that.
Xbolt is the most original modder, as his work was from scratch except the graphics.
TGA was probably one of the best scripters ever (Fragglescript on Legacy).
Slime was the most technically advanced modder.
And 75 the most dedicated and forward.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

LAZ Trooper

I was going to respond, agreeing with the first one.. then the second... aw heck, I agree with that whole list. Arch's maps are amazing.

Current Projects:
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

MajorSlime

How about no '1st', '2nd', '3rd' or any of that, but just a Hall of Fame? Wait.... don't we have one of those around here somewhere?

LAZ Trooper

Not that I know of, but I feel like I suggested it once.

Current Projects:

matthias720

They're all fantastic in my opinion.
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

MajorSlime

Huh, could have sworn I remembered a Hall of Fame

noob1234

I think someone suggested it but it just didn't happen. IT SHOULD