My dad helped make this game. His name was Lee Snyder.

Started by SnyderD, May 01, 2008, 08:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnyderD

I don't expect anyone to really believe this, but I just thought I would share with you my accounts of the history of my fathers involvement with the game.

I was about 6 years old. My dad told me he was making a video game. I was amazed. I was obsessed with Doom (Yeah, a 6 year old playing doom. :D) and when I found out it was going to run off the doom engine, I was excited. I didn't know what that meant, but if it involved doom, it had to be awesome.

I was, admittedly, less than satisfied with the outcome at first.

My timeline of this is extremely convulted. I am 16 now, so my memory of the events aren't what they used to be. So, in no specific order, here's what I know happened "Behind the Scenes" at Chex Quest.

My dad approached Andy, editor-in chief of the magazine game informer and they discussed the idea of a non-violent first person game that could be marketted through a cereal. This led to the suggestion of the doom engine, which was known to be very flexible.

My dad approached id about it, and that led to the guys at digital cafe getting their hands on the engine.

Anyways, I don't really recall my dads involvement with the game that much. I haven't really asked him much about it.

One of my fondest memories as a child was walking through grocery stores with my dad, hand-delivering boxes of the specially marked cereal to the stores. It was almost a magical moment, seeing that box go up on a shelf.

I never did beat chex quest, by the way. I always got to the level with all the blackboards and beakers and stuff, with the narrow halls and dark rooms. Then I got lost, lol.

My dad still has a plaque behind his desk at home (he works out of his apartment) with the chex guy firing his zorcher at the flemoids, with a golden vinyl disc or some such thing above it and the usual sort of "Awarded for excellence" award. I'll see if I can get a picture of it for you guys, but you will have to send me an e-mail. I doubt I'll remember otherwise. :P

My dad told me his name was a cheat code, and that I had to enter it at the save game screen. Well, he got that part wrong. :D

Also, my dad has no idea there is still, or ever was, a community around this game. I sent him an e-mail to the wiki, and I'm sure it will make his day.

So just remember, chex fans:

The level select man is real.

And I'm his son.

Manny Cav

... :o Wow... first, Charles Jacobi wanders into the community, and then, Lee Snyder's boy shows up. That was a detailed account. Thank you for sharing that -- and tell your dad I said "thanks" for whatever he did [the credits, which can be found here (shameless plug, I know), from menu.exe say that he did or was "Original Design and Storyline, Executive Producer"].

EDIT: Wait a dag blasted minute. You said that you was 6 when your dad said that he was making a game, which had to have been at the latest 1996, when the game was released (right?), and possibly earlier. You say you are 16 now. However, according to my calculations, if your previous account of you being 6 was true, then now you could be at the youngest 17. I'm confused. ???
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

Chex Ques is 10 right? 1997 was when it came out. I think.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

xbolt

:o

Welcome aboard, son of Lee Snyder! Yep, after all these years, there still is a following for a computer game that came in a cereal box. (I find that a little hard to believe myself!)

As for Manny's math, I previously thought it came out in 1996 as well, because that was the date on the CD. However, Chex Quest did indeed appear on store shelves in 1997.

Manny Cav

I'll trust xbolt and just say that "about 6" is -- about right. :D
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

O_O Wow...THATS FRICKIN AWESOME! Welcome to the CQFF! And...It'd be truly awesome if your dad could see this site.

also, his name IS a cheat code for the game...any time when you want to go somewhere, just type:

leesnyder1# - where # is replaced with 1-5 to represent the level you want to visit. (got it from the same site Manny Cav linked to)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

Quote from: atariangamer on May 02, 2008, 08:14:05 AM
also, his name IS a cheat code for the game...any time when you want to go somewhere, just type:

leesnyder1# - where # is replaced with 1-5 to represent the level you want to visit. (got it from the same site Manny Cav linked to)
I thought he just said, "The level select man is real." :D
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

Quote from: xbolt on May 02, 2008, 01:01:19 AM
:o

Welcome aboard, son of Lee Snyder! Yep, after all these years, there still is a following for a computer game that came in a cereal box. (I find that a little hard to believe myself!)

As for Manny's math, I previously thought it came out in 1996 as well, because that was the date on the CD. However, Chex Quest did indeed appear on store shelves in 1997.
Do you guys just ignore everything i post? I wander if you can write down Leesnyder"2"* or somthing.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Manny Cav

R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

it would make sense (idclev) but it doesnt work for reasons unknown. probably eliminated when the project was slimmed to 5 levels.

Manny Cav

I think that trying to place a 2, 3 or 4 after "leesnyder" causes the game to go straight to E1M5.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Anonymous (ChexGuy331)

Atariangamer

lol, but he should! that would be awesome, plus I think it would be cool to get the full story on the games. He was the story guy, right?

Lucius

Whoa pretty rad....

He had no idea there's still a community? Wow, Charles Jacobi was here and this is just pretty cool. Welcome.

celebi23

I know that I'm a bit late to this but, this is really cool :D