wow chex quest EM1 doom style

Started by Josh, May 06, 2008, 04:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

o_O Uh, Slimeinator? I think that way too, but Chex Quest is always first. Doom gets boring sometimes after playing for an hour...while Chex Quest has great mods that make it better, harder, longer, faster. I like that...plus we usually need only one source port...Doom needs Legacy, ZDooM, GZDooM, BOOM, EDGE, and many others...too big.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Josh

chex quest was an awsome idea it probly made a lot of people buy chex because you know back then it was like doom3 graphics

Atariangamer

Well, the real reason chex quest was created was to boost sales of chex cereal. Also, the DooM engine was getting a slight bit older (with quake on the way), and the game was based off of the engine. But there was nothing to compare the graphics to, so it was more like a new spin on an old trick...or something.

Lucius

Josh

well the reson they used doom is because the quake engine was not open source yet

Manny Cav

I don't think the Doom engine was open source at that time, either.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Nope, it wasn't...it went OpenSource soon after, though. About middle of '96, I think. CQ came just at the end of '95.

(I think...)

Manny Cav

As I understand, the Doom source code was released in December 23, 2007, while Chex Quest was developed during 1996, I believe, with a 1997 release date.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Loremaster

Quote from: Manny Cav on May 12, 2008, 10:06:39 PM
As I understand, the Doom source code was released in December 23, 2007, while Chex Quest was developed during 1996, I believe, with a 1997 release date.

Um, earlier than that. Much earlier.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Manny Cav

I deserve to be hung for that. :-X I meant to say December 23, 1997.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

LOL! I was about to say, "boom, legacy, and others have been around much longer than 2007!"

Well, there's a question. How come we haven't tried to make a Quake mod yet? There are tons of mapping oppertunities, and if you make a flat model, you can still make it look like its a sprite (for enemies, which is the main shut down for 3d ports...no one can make a cartoony looking flemoid MD2)

Josh

i allways thoght a chex quest online made with quake 3 arena would be cool

Atariangamer

Now thats taking it a little too far. It would be easy to make some simple models and skins, then have some textures and make maps. But with Quake 3 (and for that point, most shooters past 2001), it would take years to totally redo the game stuff to make it CQ. I've messed a bit with original Quake, and it would be the next logical step (in my view)

Josh

yeah we would have to get 100s of people to help make it

Replica

Not exactly, Doom 3 didn't take half of 100 people to create.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.