Author Topic: Linux file sharing program?  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
Linux file sharing program?
« on: August 04, 2012, 03:22:13 AM »
Okay, here's a toughie.

I got this debian Mac mini server. I decided to just dedicate it to file storage using its internal hard drive to store some of my music and video collection. But then I found that a 500GB HDD I had could use firewire, and I wanted to see about using that for local storage. But then I had a great idea to make it also accessible from the web, through something. Possibly with customizable accounts, so that I can use it like a private dropbox or something, and give people access to some folders so we can use it for like...projects and what not...

But then there's the local thing. I've got a modern mac and a PS3 and an XBMC and a laptop and a desktop...windows...Yeah, I need something that can serve files to all these platforms LOCALLY, and have account based access remotely. or something.

ideas? only requirements is debian, and preferably terminal based.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Linux file sharing program?
« on: August 04, 2012, 03:22:13 AM »

Offline Richie

• Administrator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 13
Re: Linux file sharing program?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 09:34:47 AM »
Linux is very "networkable," so as far as local access goes, you should be able to access files across your network easily.  I've been spoiled by Ubuntu's ease of use in this area, so I'm not sure I can help beyond referring you to a link.  http://wiki.debian.org/Network?action=show&redirect=CategoryNetwork

As far as remote access goes, I do have a suggestion.  Why not setup an FTP server?  You could assign others user names and passwords to drop files.  The only problem is, I believe you need a static IP address to do this.  I could be wrong.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 02:50:15 PM »
You could forward your ports for an FTP server, and register your ip with a free DNS like DynDNS, which automatically updates your ip address if it changes.

You don't need to use the terminal, FileZilla is excellent for transferring files back and forth, and it supports several protocols.

If you make it a public ftp, you can use vsftp and firefox will be able to access the FTP directory.

I'm not sure about your ISP but it is definitely a breach in my terms of service to host a FTP server over the internet, which is why I took down my FTP server when I cancelled my business service. It was a waste of money anyway... $40/month for 1 MiB upload / 2 MiB download.

EDIT - I don't know how well it will be able to serve your game consoles and linux machine, perhaps you'll need to format it as FAT or NTFS? FAT should work (since every one of those systems can at least read flash drives), but it's terrible for space efficiency, I'm sure there's something better out there that was made to be universal... I'd recommend googling it, I'm sure somebody somewhere has had the same idea of shared storage for multiple platforms.

EDIT2 - Linux has Samba for windows, perhaps there's something like that for your other systems?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:40:03 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 06:40:54 PM »
The reason it needs to be terminal is because...the server has no GUI. Its running on command line. SO it's nice.

Our ISP has absolutely no such things in its TOS. I checked when I started hosting servers so much. But its not going to be major, anyways. I'd keep it private.

Also, AFAIK, Samba is usable on every system...but samba over the web? Possible?
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 06:44:08 PM »
The reason it needs to be terminal is because...the server has no GUI. Its running on command line. SO it's nice.

Filezilla sends terminal commands, but provides you a GUI on your computer you're using to access the server -- it doesn't matter if your server has a GUI or not. It's just a tool that helps you get through directories, not anything you install on your server.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Samba other than it runs windows compatible networks; that was the wildest of guesses.

EDIT - with that said, now that I think of it, through both VSFTP and (Open)SSH I was able to see my FTP directory perfectly in Mac, Linux, and Windows computers, FTP must be platform independent -- seems like the best course of action for you, as long as your PS3/game console browsers support FTP (I'd be surprised if they didn't)

(Open)SSH isn't public (you need to register users in advanced and they all must have a login, registered users are basically users of the computer, like you) FTP is (all you need is an e-mail address as a password to access a FTP -- you specify a directory on your computer to "share". Only registered users can add files, but anyone can download them)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:50:15 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 12:21:27 AM »
FTP looks pretty solid.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods