Author Topic: My laptop broke D:  (Read 2164 times)

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 121
  • -Receive: 38
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
My laptop broke D:
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:58:48 AM »
I have had my hp pavilion dv9000 laptop for about 4 years now, and on Wednesday it just decided to quit.
I was downloading the Mann vs. Machine update for TF2 when suddenly it just turned off. I tried pushing the power button again, but it just briefly lit up then went dark again (the screen stayed black). I felt the bottom, but it didn't feel overheated. I tried waiting an hour, but the same thing happened. I didn't touch it again until today, and still it wouldn't turn on. Oh, and the charging light would light up after the power button went off.
This is not without precedent. It's turned off due to overheating before (>.>), and once I wasn't so sure if it was overheating (was actually watching a Maru video at the time.)

When it comes to fixing windows software problems (I have vista), I'm usually pretty good, but I obviously can't do that now, and I'm a total noob when it comes to hardware. I don't think it turned off due to lack of space, because I thought I had at least 20 gigs left... but maybe I'm wrong. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the battery because of what I said about the charging light, but I honestly have no idea.

Any suggestions?

Chex Quest Fan Forums

My laptop broke D:
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:58:48 AM »

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
Re: My laptop broke D:
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 02:02:23 AM »
Yeah... I'd definitely go with power problems (though I wouldn't take my advice on hardware too strongly either XD). Have you tried removing the battery and plugging in the laptop directly?
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 11:28:55 AM »
The computer wouldn't shut itself off due to HD space since it just gives you a notification and a warning instead. Most likely a power issue if nothing's turning on.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
dv9000s are quite notorious for being iffy.

My only suggestion is to take out the battery and leave it unplugged for a few hours. Plug it back in and see if it starts.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »
Ugh, none of that worked, I looked all over the internet, apparently it's a problem with the GPU... it overheats and de-solders itself. One vid said to firmly press the JKL keys or around that area with your palm then press the power, it worked for a few minutes then the computer turned off again. Someone said to use a hair dryer... suffice it to say I now have a slightly melted keyboard and a still-broken laptop. I might have to take it apart...

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 04:30:52 PM »
Well, yeah, if its just the soldering, then I see no reason why you can't take it apart and resolder it yourself (assuming you might know how to do that). That is, unless something more major already broke due to this problem. (Idk, could happen?)
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 12:17:38 AM »
I do know how to solder, but I'm not exactly sure where the faulty connection is, and I don't/didn't want to try and open the laptop and potentially damage some other components...
After reading up on it a bit, turns out it would probably just re-melt... I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and just ordered a new laptop... -.-

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:20:08 AM »
I do know how to solder, but I'm not exactly sure where the faulty connection is, and I don't/didn't want to try and open the laptop and potentially damage some other components...
After reading up on it a bit, turns out it would probably just re-melt... I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and just ordered a new laptop... -.-

You could try baking the motherboard in the oven. I mean, carefully of course.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 12:56:22 PM »
yeah, tear the whole thing down, get just the board, and make sure its clean (no tape or extra plastics on it), then put it in a hot oven for just a minute or so. You can also find details about that online.
That's what I meant by the dv9000 being iffy, but for some reason, all of em I've seen have had other problems than the GPU, so I figured this might be the case...obviously not.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting