Author Topic: Run-of-the-mill "I have no idea what I'm doing" computer parts thread.  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Anonymous (ChexGuy331)

• Free Radical
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 14
Given that my current computer is a gigantic heat-generating noise-making pile of crap, I've decided to go and get some parts. I'm keeping my GPU (nVidia GT 240, it sucks but it works) and my RAM (3gb), but I plan on replacing everything else.

These are the things I'm looking at, but I'm not quite sure if they'll all work together. If there are alternatives/things I need to change, I'd really like them to be in the same price range. I want to keep it $250 or under.

Case
Motherboard
Power Supply
Processor

Since the processor and motherboard are offered together in a bundle (which I'm not getting), I'm going to naturally assume they work. Same goes for case/power supply.

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
Re: Run-of-the-mill "I have no idea what I'm doing" computer parts thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 06:06:57 PM »
Yep, it's all ATX/AM3, so the parts you picked would work together.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:54:10 PM »
My only suggestion might be to get a slightly better PSU. With a basic setup and graphics card, you've got a good choice, but if you ever want to update the graphics card, you'll have an issue with just 18a...I would know.

Most cards like 24 or more, so if you can spare the extra 20-40$ to get a better PSU, do it.

I'll try and find some examples in the next few days.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

• Free Radical
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 12:07:17 AM »
alright, cool. Newegg's doing their whole Black November thing so if I need to jump on something, I can.

EDIT: oh boy, 72 hours to get $15 and $5 off of these two, respectively:

Quad Core Processor
2x 4gb RAM

I also think I've found a better PSU, the 12V has 46A. Grand total is now a manageable $273.81
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:53:35 PM by Anonymous (ChexGuy331) »

• Free Radical
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 12:31:03 AM »
doubletoast for an update, bought everything on Friday (got the Rosewill PSU instead of the CoolerMaster), had it arrive on Tuesday to find out my hard drive is an ancient Ultra-ATA connecting pile of junk that belongs in a museum. Lucked out with a 1tb for $50 (ShellShocker from Newegg) and a $20 disk drive.

I think I've put everything together correctly without screwing up. All I have to do is install the OS and hope it works.

Now my main problem is getting everything off the old hard drive, which I neglected to back up.

EDIT: well this sucks, my old graphics card is in the PCI slot and the fan spins, but it's not being detected.

EDITII: Yeah I probably need a new card. Gonna use a 9500GT for the time being, but does anyone have suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:01:57 PM by Anonymous (ChexGuy331) »

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting