T.U.C.Q. Progess Thread

Started by Boingo the Clown, December 01, 2012, 02:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boingo the Clown

Progress Report: July 4, 2014

It has been a long time since the last progress report.  Sorry about that.

Anyway ...

I tested out my first voxel object in T.U.C.Q. today.  I took the old diner sign patch and extruded it into a 3D object.

I was going to use some old school editing trickery to achieve the same effect, but I guess this is probably better.

Pandora's box is open.

Voxels are here.

Any ideas of what I can use voxels for?

Please note that I am not getting rid of sprites as a general rule.  I just want to use voxels in cases where they will definitely make the game look better.

Replica

I imagine anything that's sprites, but big. Such as those lamp posts, or the space ships (which you've said you intend to do anyway). Could decals be converted to voxels? If so, it'd make slime impacts look much better. I think it's been talked about, but maybe you could change the flembrane into a voxel? That would fix any problem with the sprite sliding around.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Boingo the Clown

Progress Report: March 11, 2016

It's not much, but considering it has been over a year and a half since the last progress report, it's better than nothing.

TrueDude convinced me to go back and work a little bit on the cinema level, so I made a crude street and the front of the theatre.

Like I said, it's not much, but it's better than nothing.

darkstone

I want screenshots! :-D I've missed TUCQ.

Boingo the Clown

Progress Report: April 25, 2016

Alright.  You twisted my arm darkstone.

Here are some screen shots.

I have not done much, but I have worked a little bit on the cinema level.

Here is the crude theatre entrance.

Here are a couple of shots of the inside around the concession stand.

I made a sector based soda fountain.  It may be hard to see the individual drink dispensers, since they are all grey.  I will make textures for them with different colours and indistinct brand names some time in the future.  A fictional brand name, "FIZZ", will appear on the topper instead of the red that is there now, when I get around to making the texture.

Planned future additions: sector based popcorn bags on the counter, voxel based drink cups, miscelaneous doodads.

A view of the lineup for the concession stand.  The voxel based finials are a little too detailed and will have to be replaced with simpler ones.  Also, there will be voxel based red velvet ropes hanging between the posts in the near future.  I am trying voxels instead of transparent textures, because textures look too flat.  I am hoping voxel versions will work out better.

If you recall, in the original cinema level, there is a statue of a Chex Warrior standing in the middle of the street, and the street itself is not attached to any other streets, and it looks a little weird.

I have decided to create a more appropriate location for the statue.  Using over the top American patriotic displays as inspiration, I placed the statue on top of a pedestal, in the middle of a pool, surrounded by fountains and flags, with a small brick wall around the pool, a walking path around the wall, and a hedge around the path.  The large sector around this display will eventually be turned into a park where the player will start in the level.

The slime fountains are there to give me an idea of what the final water fountains will look like.  I will make water fountains by recolouring the slime fountain sprites to blue, and making a new actor in DECORATE.

The tree sprites in Chex Quest are nifty, but they are kind of small.  For a park, I would like to see big tall mature trees like I see in the parks around here.  As a test to see how it looked, I downloaded photo of a tree and made a temporary sprite out of it.

The sprite looks good and did not suffer from the problems I expected.  I will obviously have to make a hand drawn tree sprite to use instead at some point.

Finally, I started a new level that takes place after E2M5.  Storywise, the Chex Warrior continues from the main sewers into a pumping station.  He discovers the pumps have stopped and a massive amount of flem is threatening to flood the city.  He will have to find three fuses and restart the pumps in order to get rid of the flem and clear out the sewers in order to escape.

It sounds like a great idea, but all I have is the room with the pumps, and no idea how to complete the level.  I find I am good at detailing levels, but not so great when it comes to level design.  I hope I can get this working, so keep your fingers crossed.

I also decided to come up with some provisional names for all of the levels that don't exist yet, just for the heck of it.

E1M6: Bazoik Nutritional Mines
E1M7: Stope 27
E1M8: Lair of the Flembrane

E2M6: Pumping Station 1 (or Sewage Treatment Facility)
E2M7: The Wrong Side of Town
E2M8: An Abandoned Lab

E3M1: Rolled Oats Institution (or Rolled Oats Penitentiary)
E3M2: The Regulus System
E3M3: The Rigel System
E3M4: The Orion System
E3M5: Kentok V
E3M6: Cepheus
E3M7: The Mysterious Asteroid
E3M8: Secret Base

E4M1: Beachhead
E4M2: Under Siege
E4M3: Forlorn Hope
E4M4: Hail Mary Pass
E4M5: The Turning Tide
E4M6: Flemoids On the Run
E4M7: Fleming's Fortress
E4M8: The Final Showdown

Awesomedude249

Wow. Just wow. I wake up, a couple hours later check the CQFF, and I find a large amount of progress has been made on TUCQ! This is pure win. Also, I can make that "FIZZ" texture for you as long as you give me the dimensions the texture needs to be.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

darkstone

This is incredible. All of it, Boingo, I'm so excited to see T.U.C.Q. being worked on again! I remember playing p2b3 way back when I was like 9 or 10, and getting addicted to Chex(R) Quest... this is so exciting and I'm glad to see you working on it!

DestroyedEDGE

So, you've finally started working on Release 7.  ;D

Boingo the Clown

Yup.

Progress Report: April 28, 2016

I fiddled around a little bit yesterday and today.

I worked on a new 3D sector based version of the billboards.

It is in the park now, but will get moved somewhere else eventually.

I also made a grass texture, by simply resizing a grass texture from Deviant Art and recolouring it to the DooM palette.  It doesn't look all that good. I will try again.

Awesomedude249

Maybe the billboard would look good with two legs on both sides and some lights at the corner? It would look more like a traditional billboard.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Boingo the Clown

I based it on the most common images I got for billboards when I searched.

Awesomedude249

It probably looks weird because of it's size. You should make it much bigger, and possibly have some murky, run-down Brand X billboards.

Boingo the Clown

The size is based on the size of the billboard itself (256 x 128).

darkstone

I think the billboard looks fine.

xbolt

Yeah, looks like a proper billboard to me.

Lookin' sharp there, Boingo! Always nice to see good progress on TUCQ.