How to Play ChexQuest Mods

Started by Chexy, December 29, 2012, 09:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chexy

Hey, it's me Chexy coming back after a long absence. I've changed computers a few times in the interim and I need to get started playing Chex Quest Mods again. I want to play anything you guys have worked on, and I need to know what files I need to have to load up things properly.

I know that most mods require doom.wad, doomu.wad, and doom2.wad in some fashion or form, but I'm lost otherwise! Thanks for all your help in getting me restarted in how to play! I'm currently on Windows 7, so there you go.

EDIT: Hopefully this can become a pinned topic for other mod newbies as well. If I'm missing a thread, please redirect me.
Sincerely,

Chexy

MajorSlime

If their Chex Quest mods, they don't use any doom wads. They use chex3.wad or chex.wad. Individual mods have different things they need to run, check in the mod section for a thread that tells you what to do for that specific mod.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

ChexCommander

Quote from: ChexMaster2109 on December 29, 2012, 05:17:28 PM
If their Chex Quest mods, they don't use any doom wads. They use chex3.wad or chex.wad. Individual mods have different things they need to run, check in the mod section for a thread that tells you what to do for that specific mod.

What Chexy is referring to is that in the old days most mods required the CQ IWAD to be renamed to doom/doomu/doom2.wad in order for the engine to run them. These days now that Chex Quest is recognized by GZDooM, this isn't as necessary.

Chexy: Most CQ mods require GZDooM, though if you're playing good ol' Newmaps you'll need DooM Legacy and if you're playing the CQ Skulltag Pack in multiplayer you'll need Zandronum (formerly Skulltag).

Other than that, naturally you'll need chex.wad and/or chex3.wad (from the official Chex Quest 3). All that you'll need other than this will be listed in the mod's description.

Have fun and welcome back! :)
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

For actually launching the game, if it's a zDoom based game, ZDL helps a lot https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL , you can add in your IWADs, and engines, and then add the PWADs you need.

Note: ZDL has been incorrectly identified as a virus by Norton, it's because of some package that was used to create it; it is safe, you don't need to worry about it.

If you don't know, an IWAD means Internal Wad, and these are (usually) officially recognized wads such as Doom, Chex, and Chex 3.

A PWAD means Patch Wad; a PWAD can't run by itself and it typically uses some resources from an IWAD that it's using as a base. All mods here are run as PWADs.

For the chex pack you'll need Zandronum as the engine and chex3.wad as the IWAD whether you're playing offline or online, there are a few demo single player levels in the pack (check out E4M1 and a few others in Episode 4).

Hope that helps, and don't hesitate to reply if something's not clear, I had a hard time with this at first.

EDIT: Fixed dead link
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem