Author Topic: Hey Everyone  (Read 6729 times)

Offline markdmia

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Hey Everyone
« on: December 28, 2012, 05:49:20 PM »
I've been on the forums in the past but it has been some time.  A few of you may remember me as ivhimss.  I was really into Chex Quest many years ago and got my kids hooked on it as well.  I was a DOOM player back in the day but I liked the more non-violent format of Chex Quest especially for my kids.  We had a lot of fun playing the games and even had a few PCs set up to do multi-player.  I had started a deep sea adventure pwad but never finished it.

My interest in Chex Quest has been recently renewed as I now have a couple of Android devices and would like to have Chex Quest available on those.  I have a older Android smartphone running Android 2.2 and a Google Nexus 7 running Android 4.2.  I plan to get a Google Nexus 10 as soon as I can get my hands on a reasonably priced one.  It would be nice to get back into Chex Quest pwad building but my very limited free time is currently consumed writing an app for the Android platform.

It's great to see several names on this forum that I remember from days long gone!  You guys are true Chex Quest fans!

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Hey Everyone
« on: December 28, 2012, 05:49:20 PM »

Offline chekovrules

• Is a feelings hurter and helper
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 41
  • I'm Commander Shepard
    • Chekovrules' YouTube Channel
Re: Hey Everyone
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 07:49:03 PM »
Hi! :whale
I'M A FRIGGIN' GIRL! MARRIED TO XBOLT! WHO IS A GUY! XD

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 27
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 09:28:52 PM »
Welcome.

I'm not sure what to suggest regarding android development, but I did study it as a kernel, but I never actually developed for it. Best of luck to you.

Just out of curiosity, what are you working on for your Android app?

I saw your underwater adventure wad; seems rather interesting, was it intended to be a prequel to Chex 1? i.e., before the LAZ device in E1M2 was completed?

If you ever feel like continuing your old wad, or making a new one, I recommend that you try out zDoom (an advanced Doom engine), GzDoom (zDoom with OpenGL hardware rendering), and Zandronum (GzDoom with client-server networking), not to mention DoomBuilder 2 and Slade 3 (Slade 3 is much better than XWE, especially on newer systems).
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline markdmia

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 12:14:38 PM »
I currently have two free Doom apps running on my Android devices.  One is currently in Google Play and the other is an .apk file you can download from the website.  They both say they are PrBoom ports.  One app allows you to specify command line args so it appears I can load a pwad (-file ...) but the other doesn't seem to allow command line args.  With the one that allows them it doesn't load any pwads I've thrown at it.  Perhaps because they were built for other ports.  I have a version of chex quest that says it is for PrBoom but it doesn't load in the Android app either.  I get W_Addfile: couldn't open chex.wad.  I tried replacing the prboom.wad with the version that came in the chex quest zip.  That replaced the original doom sounds with the chex quest ones but the pwad still wouldn't load.  :(  There are a couple of other cheap Doom apps in Google Play so maybe one of those will work.  Original Doom runs fine however.  It's hilarious playing the original Doom levels and characters but with the chex quest sound effects.

The Android app I'm writing is a companion app for the MarchBasketball.com website.  My brother knows the guy who runs that website and my brother wrote the Apple app for it.  I volunteered to write the Android app.  It's given me something to work on for my first Android app attempt.

I'm sure there have been a ton of Doom improvements since I last worked on Chex Quest levels.  Who knows if I'll get back to it or not.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 05:15:16 PM »
Perhaps because they were built for other ports.

PrBoom is an extension to Boom which is an extension to Vanilla Doom, anything that runs on Vanilla Doom should run on PrBoom.

I have a version of chex quest that says it is for PrBoom but it doesn't load in the Android app either.  I get W_Addfile: couldn't open chex.wad.  I tried replacing the prboom.wad with the version that came in the chex quest zip.  That replaced the original doom sounds with the chex quest ones but the pwad still wouldn't load.  :(  There are a couple of other cheap Doom apps in Google Play so maybe one of those will work.  Original Doom runs fine however.  It's hilarious playing the original Doom levels and characters but with the chex quest sound effects.

It sounds like you're close to getting this to work. Perhaps try some 1993 file trickery... PrBoom is quite old, and this is actually how chex was designed to be used.

Try renaming Chex.wad to doom.wad, PrBoom.wad sounds like some sort of configuration file (almost every engine has that, including Legacy). I'm surprised it had any effect.

If you recall, Boingo had to do to trick Legacy into using Chex.wad by renaming it to doomu.wad. It's very possible that a older engine like PrBoom would not allow you to change the IWAD (chex.wad is meant to replace doom.wad; i.e., it's not a PWAD, it's an actual IWAD).

Note that if it works, you will see the right sprites, levels, and sounds, but you will not really get the full experience without Fraggle's Chex Quest Dehacked patch. I can link you to that if you get this far.

If you can't find doom.wad in the executable directory, look in subdirectories and even the hidden folder ~/.prBoom. (where ~ is /home/<your username>/). I'm not sure how much of Linux was changed for Android, but from my experience this is one place where engines like to look for files.

If this doesn't work, there should be some log file generated somewhere, or perhaps if you scroll up high enough in the in-game command prompt you can see what the engine is loading (and, the path to that main iwad file that you need to replace with chex.wad).

The Android app I'm writing is a companion app for the MarchBasketball.com website.  My brother knows the guy who runs that website and my brother wrote the Apple app for it.  I volunteered to write the Android app.  It's given me something to work on for my first Android app attempt.

I'm sure there have been a ton of Doom improvements since I last worked on Chex Quest levels.  Who knows if I'll get back to it or not.

Hmm, so some sort of basketball scoreboard app? It does indeed sound like a good way to start out.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Offline markdmia

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 03:11:13 PM »
Ya, I was thinking chex.wad was an IWAD but the error I was getting made it look like the chex.wad I was using wasn't defined as an IWAD so I got confused thinking PWAD.  I'm straightened out on that now... thanks!

I tried the chex.wad from the chexquestwiz.rar file I found out there again.  It says it is for prboom and it's working for me now in the prboom4droid application.  I have the maps, characters, and sounds!  Success!  Now maybe I can add the dehacked piece. 

However, I have another doom for android app called DoomDroid that I like even better.  You can specify the size of the onscreen controls and even place them where you want them.  This is great for a tablet device.  I can get the chex.wad file that I got to work on prboom4android to run but the music and sounds are old doom, not the music and sounds from chex quest.  I copied the prboom.wad file from the .rar file just like I did with prboom4droid but that's not doing the trick with DoomDroid.  I'm so close on this one, but I just have to have the chex quest sounds at least!  Any ideas on that one?

Thanks again!

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 11:48:17 PM »
Glad I was able to help.

Just wanted to be sure about a few things

I've never heard of this chexquestwiz.rar file; try using this

http://www.ifocserv.net/ftp/wads/chex.wad

It sounds like the file you've been using is the right one, but I really want to be sure. The link I provided is the real chex.wad from the CD, uploaded to my server. It's a long shot, but I can think of some ways that a slightly different chex.wad could cause the problem.

I'm surprised that everything except your music and sounds are working; you shouldn't have needed to copy over prboom.wad, just replacing doom.wad with a renamed chex.wad should do everything you need it to (provided that you are working with Doom or Ultimate Doom, and not Doom 2). Chex fits perfectly over Doom 2 without any addons.

You can find your chex dehacked patch here:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15420

Note that this needs to be added as an additional file using -file as a command line parameter.

--- I have seen wads build the DEHACKED patch right into the wad, but I was not able to get it to work successfully in Chocolate Doom, I will need to see how it works in PrBoom, for the moment you'll have to just -file in the dehacked patch --

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting