Mouse Controls

Started by Wodd, December 29, 2012, 09:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wodd

I have some questions regarding using a mouse to play Chex Quest.
1. Why is mouse control so slow? When I have it set to its highest settings, forward and backward movement are no faster than using a keyboard. Using a gamepad is faster. Is there a way to increase the speed? Perhaps the mouse's resolution (which is 5,000 DPI (dots per inch) for the TactX Mouse and 8,200 DPI for the G600.
2. How many buttons does Chex Quest recognize? I am looking at replacing my current mouse (which has a malfunctioning left button) with Logitech's G600 (which has twenty buttons). It seems like a reasonable replacement considering that it will be replacing the Alienware TactX Mouse.
"Cast your burden upon the Lord." (Psalm 55:22, Daysies, April 6)
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13, Daysies, March 10)

MajorSlime

I don't know for sure, but I'm gonna guess all of those buttons work. And, maybe you have the mouse speed set to low in the OS settings themselves?
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Replica

Forward and backward movement? Are you using the mouse to walk around, or aim? Because sensitivity of the mouse will only effect how fast you look around, not how fast you move around it. If you're trying to move faster, that isn't possible. Your character can't go any faster than you can get with your keys while running. Assuming always run is off (or not apart of the original game?), holding shift will make you run.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

MajorSlime

Well, always run exists in Chex Quest 3, as it was based off of the zDoom engine, but idk about the original Chex Quest.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Wodd

Quote from: ChexMaster2109maybe you have the mouse speed set to low in the OS settings themselves?
That is a good point that I had not considered. I think that the answer is yes. I looked and it is set to the middle (which I think is the default). I thought that it was set on the slowest setting, but I was incorrect. Strange
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13, Daysies, March 10)

Are you playing it with Chex.exe or Chex 3 (zDoom)?
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Wodd

I am using Chex3.exe. I use a shortcut pinned to my Start screen.

Ah, the fix is not hard, all you need to do is go to the main menu and select

options -> mouse options

there you can adjust various sensitivity sliders, that should give you what you need
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Wodd

I tried increasing the pointer speed within Windows' control panel and putting the movement sliders all the way up in the game, but the Chex Warrior still probably moves at a maximum speed of that matching the speed at which he moves when the keyboard is used. Perhaps the game "prefers optical mice to laser mice" (although that seems unlikely). I wonder how it would handle Logitech's Darkfield tracking system (which allows the mouse to track even on glass surfaces) or Microsoft's BlueTrack tracking system (which does not allow the mouse to track on glass surfaces). This is extremely hindering if one wanted to play on Super Slimey! mode (although, that mode is quite challenging even when using a gamepad).