Merge Doom and Chex Quest 3 wads?

Started by EarthBoundNess, April 03, 2013, 04:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EarthBoundNess

Is it possible to merge the Doom and Chex Quest 3 wads so that:

- First 3 episodes are Chex Quest, like usual
-Doom episodes can be accessed, and Doom monsters without Chex Quest replacements can be seen
-Doom levels have Chex Quest textures

I tried to do this by simply using the Doom wad as the PWAD, but the Doom levels were only accessible with the warp, and it would not go to the next level, and there was no music.

Any help will be appreciated.

EarthBoundNess

I tried merging the wads, but it does the same thing, except that you can see some Doom textures.

Replica

Merging the wads wouldn't do anything, and neither would running doom as a PWAD, as that just replaces everything in CQ3. Really, I'm rather confused why you would want to do this to begin with, but...

-If you want both CQ and Doom maps in your wad, you'll need to change the names of the maps. CQ3's is smaller, so you can make it something like E5M1 and then so on. So Episode 2 of CQ2 would be E6M1-5, and then CQ3 would be E7M#. Then you can use http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO. This will allow you to specify the episodes, allowing you to use both Doom's and CQ's.

-If you want the monsters to replace CQ's, the you need to replace the sprites with Doom's. You can do that in Slade or XWE.

-Well, if you want you can do the same as before, only moving the texture images into the wad. If you want to the textures to make sense, you'll need to go and change every single texture in each map using Doom Builder 2.

This will take many hours of work, and I don't see any way to do this easily. You're welcome to try it, I suppose.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Atariangamer

Yes, as Chex Quest and Doom share all of their sprite, texture, map, sound, and music names...merging will do nothing. Everything would have to be hand edited to work correctly.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

EarthBoundNess

Quote from: Replica on April 04, 2013, 12:24:34 AM
Really, I'm rather confused why you would want to do this to begin with, but...

I just want to have the main game, but with some "bonus" chexified Doom levels.

I think I got it working, the music is playing and everything. The endings are kind of messed up, and the textures make no sense whatsoever, but at least it's playable.

Thanks for all the help.

Boingo the Clown

Why not just do a mod that Chexifies DooM levels?

I know CQ had DooM levels, but just replaced textures without redoing the textures in the levels.  This means it looks like just a random assortment of textures.

If someone was willing to go into the DooM levels and redo them with consistant looking Chex textures it would probably be a good thing.

Replica

If one was to do that, it would be easier to replace Doom textures with Chex textures that actually make sense, rather then having a few grey textures with half a Chex door on it. Going through Doom and replacing all the level textures one by one would be incredibly time consuming.

I'm not sure if we have Chex textures that will fit in the levels, however.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Boingo the Clown

Yes. It would be time consuming, but it would create better results.

It would have worked best if CQ originally replaced the DooM textures with equivalent CQ textures, but that is not what happened. The textures used were arbitrarily chosen, or redone as gray, resulting in a jumble of textures in the DooM levels. That really means the only way to get good results would be for someone to manually go in and retexture the DooM levels, perhaps with people making a new textures  to get rid of the grey ones.

Reminds me of a random idea I had of making Chex textures that looked like the doom textures, by photoshopping existing textures and piecing them together
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem