Author Topic: Some Chex voxels + downloadable demo!  (Read 11506 times)

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
Re: Some Chex voxels + downloadable demo!
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »
I'd really like to see a voxel flembrane (it would look so much better than that awkward single rotation sprite)

I did a quick test to see how that would look, and unfortunately came across a couple of problems.
Number 1, the flembrane voxel model spins around to face the player when firing.
Number 2, flembrane's sprite rotations are extremely weird in the sense that if you strafe around him while he's idle, his facial features change, and it would be hard to replicate since I think voxels replace the entire frame instead of each rotation.

#1: Oh... that is a problem... I forgot about that; unfortunately I don't think there's any way to improve that
#2: I think that's ok
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2014, 07:14:03 PM »
Hmm, both of those could be fixed with some DECORATE changing. Make the center part (the face) all that is done with the main Flembrane, so it can rotate around to face you and shoot, and then have it spawn a Child actor that has the rest of the Flembrane voxelised. Because the child actor is not 'sentient' it won't move, but you can remove it in the Flembrane's death animation with a Remove_Child DECORATE function.

'Course, this requires a re-write of the Flembrane's DECORATE. Not sure if it would be worth it, but it WOULD be cool.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2014, 01:41:55 AM »
Progress :D Download linked for the new version.
https://www.mediafire.com/?1uox3cvah8q0z89

WOW.WAD
Those look epic!
*Launches GZDooM*
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 09:08:36 PM »
Hmm, both of those could be fixed with some DECORATE changing. Make the center part (the face) all that is done with the main Flembrane, so it can rotate around to face you and shoot, and then have it spawn a Child actor that has the rest of the Flembrane voxelised. Because the child actor is not 'sentient' it won't move, but you can remove it in the Flembrane's death animation with a Remove_Child DECORATE function.

'Course, this requires a re-write of the Flembrane's DECORATE. Not sure if it would be worth it, but it WOULD be cool.

that's a pretty good idea but players would need to know that they can only shoot at the head (which would actually make that boss a good bit more challenging though it's not that uncommon in video games)

aside from that I think making the head a separate voxel actor would be a great idea, it would actually be neat to see the head rotate to face you, then fire a slimeball
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »
Hmm, the more I think about it, the more I think that this should really be done - Voxelized or not. I think I'll attempt the DECORATE code sometime later today. It would be nice if PSTrooper could work on some Voxels for us? :P

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 63
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 09:42:49 PM »
I have and idea.

The main body of the flembrane does not use A_Chase, so it remains stationary and does not turn, but it spawns a head at regular intervals. The head is not marked as a monster, but throws flem balls and ceases to exist. What the player is actually shooting at is the barrier section of the body, and when that gets zorched away the head appears to go with it, because it disappears on its own anyway.

So for the body make the whole thing, including a face, but make the the face a little shallow. The face the body spawns is bigger and will cover the main body version of the face. The reason for a face on the body is so there is no point does the body appear not to have a face.  The spawned face would have a speed of 0 so it stays in the same place, but can face the player when firing.

Also possible is having the main body spawning a single permanent face as a child object when it first appears on the map, then having the body kill all children when it dies.

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 11:33:11 PM »
That's a good idea actually...
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 12:56:14 AM »
The latter idea (permanent child) works better for all intents and purposes. I'll see what can be done

EDIT: Dang, it'll be the sprite editing that will be the most work.
EDIT2: Also, the Flembrane sprites are TOTALLY messed up and weird. Going to have to finally make some good sprites for the Flembrane >_<

EDIT3: http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=4079.msg188713#msg188713
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:23:55 AM by ChexMaster2109 »

Offline PSTrooper

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 04:31:41 AM »
It would be nice if PSTrooper could work on some Voxels for us? :P
I'll do what I can. Right now I'm trying to finish the rest of the weapons and items.

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 04:32:46 AM »
I'll do what I can. Right now I'm trying to finish the rest of the weapons and items.

k'o!

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2014, 10:22:15 PM »
Just for the fun of it, although it may prove useful, I imported the gold key sprite from DeiMWolf into Magicvoxel and extruded it.  I worked on the front of it, but I have not done the grip yet.

It should look pretty nice once I am done with it.

I am also attempting a voxel version of the Spaceport Diner sign.  If it works I will have a nice extruded version that will look a little mor three dimentional.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2014, 12:58:25 PM »
sorry to bump a old-ish topic but I had another idea

what if we made the flembrane never call A_FacePlayer, and had it shoot homing slimeballs? It would change the gameplay a little but I think that would look pretty good, and the flembrane is a pretty weak end boss anyway.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2014, 05:49:54 PM »
I already posted it, but here is a screenie of my voxel medkit in DeiMWolf.

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2014, 06:46:15 PM »
Looks nice!

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2014, 09:48:36 PM »
I am going to post all of the screen shots of this on the DeiMWolf Progress thread, but I figure I will post one of the screenies here because it is relevant to the thread.

I am working on the Pacman ghosts for the Wolf Pac secret level in DeiMWolf. Here is what I have managed so far.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting