Author Topic: DeiMWolf Progress Thread  (Read 27659 times)

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 57
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
DeiMWolf Progress Thread
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:30:08 PM »
Since I am trying to get back to work on DeiMWolf again, I figured I may as well start a progress report thread to give updates every now and then.

I am putting it here because DeiMWolf is not directly CQ related.  I am not putting it in the T.U.C.Q. subforum again because it is not T.U.C.Q. related, except that they are both projects of mine.

Progress Report:  July 12, 2013

After a month and a half of preparing for the Upper Canada Village Medieval Festival, another month going nuts at work because of incompetant upper management, and two weeks of constantly playing on Ouya, I finally got around to taking a look at DeiMWolf (and T.U.C.Q.) again.

The first thing I noticed was a severe incompatability problem when I played DeiMWolf with Heretic as the IWAD. The pistol and the bayonet did not work, the firing sounds did not work, and neither did the medkits.  In fact, a lot of things either do not work right or don't work at all using Heretic. Running DW in Heretic might be a good way of getting it to work on its own, perhaps even as an IWAD.

I will keep you updated.

{EDIT: I found a very interesting problem. It seems that the silver key and gold key turn into a gargoyle and an iron lich respectively in Heretic.  It is very difficult to get through a level when your keys are trying to kill you.}
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 03:47:36 PM by Boingo the Clown »

Chex Quest Fan Forums

DeiMWolf Progress Thread
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:30:08 PM »

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
Re: DeiMWolf Progress Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 12:54:51 AM »
Progress Report: July 15, 2013

Well the keys are no longer monsters that attack me, the chain holding up the cages are no longer spinning yellow keys, nor are the chains holding up the pot racks spinning green keys, a pan off the rack is no longer giving off teleport sparks, the spear in the the spear rack is not a chandelier, th suit of armour is not a morph ovum, and the trees at the end of episode 1 are no longer spawning pop pods.

There was also a number of troubles with the title screen I had to fix.

Using Heretic as the IWAD has actually been quite useful. It has helped me find a lot of problems that I would never have found otherwise.

In fact there are still some problems that will have to be worked out, but at least I know about them now.

Meanwhile, I am trying to make some progress on those long promised high res sprites we have all been waiting for.

Working in DAZ Studio with Genesis and a number of items from the store and others online for free where I can find them I am trying to do the characters as best I can. 

Below is my version (so far) of the mutant.

I used Daz's "The Ghoul" morph for Genesis with  a zombie skin from another product for Michael 4. I used Daz's morphing flattop hair and gave it a green tint as a tip of the hat to the zombie troopers from DooM, who have green flattops. The original version of the mutant has a hand sticking out of the middle of its chest holding a pistol. I thought that was kind of silly, so I decided to take a hint from the revenent in DooM II and give him a harness with shoulder mounted guns.

Now I just have to figure out how to animate him.

I am also working on Doktor Schabbs.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 01:50:32 PM »
This'll be interesting when it all fits together...

Good to hear you're fixing bugs and doing work, though!
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 10:08:43 PM »
Doktor Schabbs

Hans Grosse

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:30:46 PM »
Those look pretty decent.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 02:28:46 AM »
Progress Report: July 21, 2013

Test sprites!

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 03:26:25 AM »
Ooh! Those are nice. Kind of blurry close up, but nice.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 02:17:29 PM »
It's kind of a trade off.  I want higher resolution for the sprites (In fact it was the primary reason I switched the project over to GZDooM from Legacy in the first place. Check out this thread to see just how frustrated I was.), but I am also concerned about the size of the final wad. At four times the resolution of a normal sprite, these take up sixteen times the space. Imagine how big the wad will be once all the moving, shooting, and death frames are added.   :o

Personally, I do want even higher res. I am just concerned about space.  :-\

I am really glad you like them so far.  :)

Offline xbolt

• The Man with the Beard
  • Administrator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 64
  • Honor the Fallen
    • The Page of Xbolt
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 04:18:48 PM »
Maybe have the lower resolution ones in the base wad, and release the super-HD ones as a separate download?

i used to be cool y'know

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 05:26:06 PM »
Maybe.

It would not be hard to render everything now as 2x or 4x res, then rerender later as a higher res if anyone wants it.

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 07:54:12 PM »
Wait a sec.... just remembered something. In GZDoom, there's an option somewhere to 'smooth' sprites, or in other words blur them slightly. This is really nice for normal sprites with all their jaggedness, but I think that's whats making these blurry. Maybe try to find that option and test it with it off?

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 08:33:47 PM »
Progress Report: July 22, 2013

Little bits here and there.

I rendered out a tall blue vase to replace the Wolfenstein sprite.

Meh.

I will see If I can replace it with a better one.

I also rendered out some ugly hanging vines to to replace the ones at the beginning of E2M1. What I got looked pretty good.  When I checked it out I remembered I just had the entrance ending at a wall, so I built an outdoor area similar to the one I did for E1M9.  This time I made it dark, which looks good silhouetted against the mountains.  I just need my own mountain texture now.   :-\

I also added a slight detail to the maps.  The hanging skeletons and the hanging cages looked a little bit weird, because they were attached to the ceiling with no visible means of support, So I addapted a PD texture I found on the net and created a little metal plate to on the ceiling for the skeleton and the cage to the ceiling. I then copied and pasted it into all the levels where it was needed.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 10:28:13 PM »
Egad.  This is going to take forever.

To get rid of the distorted epaulettes and Y straps on the German soldier I am going to have to render out three versions of each sprite snf then repaint them together.  In addition to the normal render I am going to have to render out a version with the arms reset to their default positions (but made invisible) so that  the epaulettes and Y straps will be the way they are supposed to be, and another render with the epaulettes and Y straps removed, to kind of use as an eraser.

It is very time consuming and I am going to have to triple render and repaint for every sprite.

Frustration awaits.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »
Progress Report: July 25, 2013

I was right about having to repaint all the frames of the German soldier being slow and frustrating.

I only have two full rotations finished so far, including the version of the soldier just standing, and the first frame of the ten frame running sequence.

The running sequence has 10 frames.  Each frame has 16 sprites. Each sprite requires 3 renders.

Do the math.

I just did 480 renders over the last two days.

Now I have to paint them together to produce the 160 sprites required just to make the guard run. This does not include the frames required for making him shoot, the frames required for him getting injured, or the frames required for him to die.

If I am going to get a version of him to patrol I will need an additional set of walking sprites.

I think this might take a while.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 11:16:38 AM »
Screen shot of mutant sprite test.